Author Topic: Welcome to the Design and Development Board!  (Read 4428 times)

Niko White

• Celestial Guard
  • A tíro nin, Fanuilos!
Welcome to the Design and Development Board!
« on: March 18, 2010, 11:32:21 AM »
Per Chad's update post, fans and forum-goers can now become even more involved in the design and development process for Battleground.  This forum is for that.  Post fan factions here, or ask about general design and development principles, or whatever.[
« Last Edit: March 18, 2010, 06:30:37 PM by Niko White »

Curufea

• Curufea's Uber Website
Re: Welcome to the Design and Development Board!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2010, 06:26:16 PM »
May need to change your html to bbcode for links to work - href anchor becomes url in square brackets.
im in ur boardz addin content

Niko White

• Celestial Guard
  • A tíro nin, Fanuilos!
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2010, 06:31:02 PM »
May need to change your html to bbcode for links to work - href anchor becomes url in square brackets.

Thanks, I even meant to check that on preview but uh...durr.  My bad, thanks for the heads up!

Curufea

• Curufea's Uber Website
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2010, 06:37:54 PM »
No prob, and to show actual usefullness, I'm currently working on better quality Kingdom building cards which I'll post here when done.  Based on my thread here
im in ur boardz addin content

ajax98

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 01:55:38 PM »
I see a process being built for design concepts. For Army Special abilities or any function of the meta game.

Pre-battle Modifications / Manipulations:
A list of items that are to be considered acceptable. Such as enemy unit damage and the associated costs.
A list of items that should not be considered, because they are really 'broken', unless there is a way or combination to make them usable. Proof of concept.

Start of Battle Modifications / Manipulations:
Items such as Foresight and Intelligence, etc.
Possibly pay points to create random problems at set up or force enemy units to start with Hold orders.
Modify Victory conditions

During Battle Modifications / Manipulations:
Enemy Command card manipulations
Change of Battle situation; Pay X before battle, get Z during battle, possibly at a designated turn or other condition.

End of Battle Modifications / Manipulations:

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 11:49:35 AM »
Is there a program for printing up proxies?  I would like to make some to play test my faction ideas.  If not, I will make them myself.  I remember seeing them for the Dark Elves at Total Con a couple of years ago.  (They were just paper and text, but they had the health boxes.)
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

Niko White

• Celestial Guard
  • A tíro nin, Fanuilos!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 11:59:48 AM »
Is there a program for printing up proxies?  I would like to make some to play test my faction ideas.  If not, I will make them myself.  I remember seeing them for the Dark Elves at Total Con a couple of years ago.  (They were just paper and text, but they had the health boxes.)

Those were probably mine.  If you have all the data in an excel file, it is pretty easy to make some mail merge documents in Word - it isn't super hard to figure out if you're comfortable with computers, and is massively useful.  I made a master merge document ages ago and now as long as I keep my column names the same in googledocs/excel I can just merge it whenever I want.

I'd be glad to share the files, but unless you at least know or can figure out how to select the data source and run the merge it won't do you much good.

Niko White

• Celestial Guard
  • A tíro nin, Fanuilos!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 12:02:45 PM »

I'm also sorta surprised no one's ever made an integrated design/development environment for card games.  The state of technology in the industry is pretty shockingly bad from what I can tell - one of the other small startups I was involved with for a while had one dude typing all of their proxies (for a 300 card CCG!) into MS Word every time anything changed!  :o

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 11:51:15 AM »
Well, since my last post I've been tooling around the Pages program on my Mac.  I've made some proxies that look half way decent.  My wife is really good at this kind of stuff and is helping me when I get stuck.   I will be going to Staples today to get some new ink for my printer to see if I can print these bad boys so I can play some pick up games at the Tournament this upcoming weekend and see what everybody thinks. 
Where's this shade, that you got it made?