Author Topic: Scenario Contest!  (Read 26501 times)

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
Scenario Contest!
« on: May 04, 2007, 10:43:01 AM »
As most or all of you are aware, Your Move Games is close to releasing a book of Battleground scenarios.  The response from retailers and players has been great, so it's pretty likely that we'll want to publish another one.  On top of that, we submit a scenario to Harbinger magazine every month.

That's a lot of scenarios we need to produce...and besides, scenarios are fun!

That brings me to my latest attempt to get free work out of our fans contest.  I challenge you to write up a killer Battleground scenario (or several) and post it here in this thread.

Rules:
1. You keep author credit but any scenario submitted becomes ours to publish, either as written or in modified form.  We get to edit scenarios as we see fit for print.
2. Hrm...I can't think of any other rules, actually.

Scenario Guidelines:
1. Each scenario should have:
  • an introductory storyline that explains why the battle is happening and ideally reveals something about the faction(s) involved in the battle.
  • a brief scenario summary that set out in game terms who is fighting, what they're fighting over and how victory will be determined
  • setup instructions, including the forces involved and how they should be deployed along with any terrain (a diagram is great here, but Kaile can make a really nice one so a description is fine)
  • victory conditions, and
  • suggestions for how people could play the scenario using armies of their own design.  (This can be quite simple like, "Side A gets 1500 points and may not have any ranged units; Side B gets 2000 points and must spend at least 300 points on ranged units.")
2. Stick with 3,000 points or less (per side) unless you've got a really compelling reason not to.
3. Make sure the scenario can be played with just a starter and reinforcement deck (for each faction) plus one terrain pack.  (I know, you don't know the exact contents of the terrain pack, but that shouldn't be a problem -- there's lots, and I'll let you know if we can't do what you've got in mind.)
4. Set a high bar for special rules -- they're not a deal-breaker, but don't say, "In this scenario you can't fire arrows at engaged units" just because that's how you wish Battleground's rules worked.  ;)
5. Test your scenario before submitting it to make sure that it works and is reasonably balanced.  This is particularly true for scenarios with major imbalances, where a first guess at a fair fight can prove to be way off.

Other than that, go nuts.  Want to do a solo scenario?  I'd love to see one.  Have a great idea for a three-sided battle?  Great.  Want to explore a set of victory conditions we've never tried?  You get the idea.

This isn't a contest with a specific end date -- we'll pick "winners" from time to time and of course I'll give feedback on scenarios to help improve them.  If we publish your scenario you'll get the author's credit (whether in a magazine or in a scenario book or both) and I'll try to come up with a nice cookie, too.

Best,
Chad
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

Barronmore

Re: Scenario Contest!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2007, 02:02:01 PM »
Chad.

i would love to do a city siege scenario for BGFW.  Can you give me the lowdown on any building types in the set.  I'm sure there are basic houses, but are there stuff like inn's and stables, etc?  Stuff you'd find in a city?  i'm really courious to know.

I'll have to really think of a good senario from time to time.  Then I just have to find someone to play them with. :)

andrewgr

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 01:39:33 PM »
For those of you that have BoardGameGeek accounts:

I will donate a Battleground Microbadge to the first 5 scenario authors that Chad tells me to.

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2007, 10:30:53 AM »
Chad.

i would love to do a city siege scenario for BGFW.  Can you give me the lowdown on any building types in the set.  I'm sure there are basic houses, but are there stuff like inn's and stables, etc?  Stuff you'd find in a city?  i'm really courious to know.

We don't have any rules for buildings at the moment -- buildings are usually more suited to skirmish wargames where guys are darting in and out than unit-based systems where blocks of troops march around.  The only real rules we have for buildings at all would be the terrain effects of walls.

Best,
Chad

Barronmore

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2007, 08:28:59 AM »
Sigh...

I guess I'll have to wait a bit longer for my dream of total city destruction. :) 

Thanks anyway.  I'm still looking forward to the terrain pack.

Runefang

« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2007, 06:18:23 AM »
Chad,

I've got an idea for a scenario. After I get it all written up, where should I send it? And what format (Word, Adobe) would you like it in?

-Kris
When all you have is a hammer, everything starts to look like a nail.

POTM Points: (1) andrewgr

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2007, 09:34:06 AM »
You can either put it here, in this thread (my first choice), or email it to me as a word doc at chad at yourmovegamesdotcom.

Looking forward to seeing it!

wuxia

« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2007, 03:32:08 PM »
Finding Lizardmen
Solo Scenario

The Undead necromancers have come up with a new plan for dominating the regions.  They have identified certain ancient coastal marshes in which there are likely remains of ancient lizards and dinosaurs.  If control of these marshes can be maintained long enough, these pre-historic beasts will be able to join the undead ranks.  It is up to the inhabitants of each region to find and destroy the guardians left behind protecting the marshes.

Set Up
   The battlefield is set with coastal beach along the 3ft edge.  Deployment zone is standard along that edge starting in front of the sandy beach.  In addition, there are deployment zones along each side, edge to edge, one card width.
   The Undead are set up around the large marsh terrain piece.  The 2 corner spike terrains are placed at the top corners and are considered impassable terrain.  6 Skeletal Spearman are set up forming a 2x2x2 square around the marsh opposite the beach.  They will always hold their ground and not move.  One Giant Catapult is in the marsh positioned so that legal pinching contact can be achieved at the back edge line.  The Catapult will fire upon the closest enemy until the spearmen take damage.  The Catapult will then fire upon the unit of the most damaged spearman each turn.  Priority firing at any unit that breaks through the line.

Force Makeup
   Undead:  6 Skeletal Spearman and 1 Giant Catapult
   Opposing forces:  2,000 AP of catapult killers

Victory Conditions
   Destroy the Catapult in 7 turns, or face the rise of the Undead Lizardmen.

7 inches should be between the spearmen and edge unit so that a 3.5 mover can get there in 2.

wuxia

« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2007, 03:34:39 PM »
The previous post would make more sense if the pictures would show up.
Thought I had it figured out.

wuxia

« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2007, 03:37:21 PM »
The Bell Tolls for Whom?

Scenario:
   The wooden bell towers of Hawkshold contain miraculous powers of healing for the army that carries them.  The recent discovery of these old bell towers found on the outskirts  of the oldest Hawkshold villages, has caused a race to gain the most bells.  The Umenzi High Priests sensed the powers of the bells and word spread throughout the land.  Even the Undead want the bells to keep others from healing.  Let the race begin.

Setup:
   Standard board and deployment zones.  3 towers (cards) are placed along the median line of the battlefield.  One tower put in the center and the other two touching the edges.  Each tower has 8 wound boxes with defense of 1 and toughness of 2.  A unit can attack a tower as long as their edge doesn’t touch an enemy.  Once touching, they can only attack each other until a 3rd unit engages.  Only then can the unit continue to attack the wooden bell tower.  The unit that delivers the final blow to the tower claims the bell.

Forces:
   2,000 AP tournament limits per side.

Victory Conditions:
   Once one force captures 2 bells, the game ends.

Notes:  I have only done this a couple of times, but it made for some fun with new strategies.  More play testing will be needed. 

X=TOWER,  D=UNIT,  P=UNIT

DXP  both can attack tower

DXP  P&D must fight while D to left can attack tower
  D

DXPD  2 D’s may attack tower
  D

andrewgr

« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2007, 07:30:19 PM »
There is a thread that shows examples of linking diagrams/pictures using the free PhotoBucket service.

That thread is http://yourmovegames.com/forum/index.php/topic,6.0.html

Let me know if you can't figure it out.

andrewgr

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2007, 09:48:21 PM »
For those of you that have BoardGameGeek accounts:

I will donate a Battleground Microbadge to the first 5 scenario authors that Chad tells me to.

Chad,

Anyone you want to award this to yet?

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
« Reply #12 on: October 25, 2007, 01:04:52 PM »
Hi Andrew,

Wuxia should get one, if he's a member of BGG.

Thanks,
Chad

andrewgr

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2007, 12:59:07 PM »

Wuxia should get one, if he's a member of BGG.

Done!

andrewgr

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 04:51:15 PM »
Sure!