Author Topic: Orcs vs Skirmishers  (Read 2652 times)

lazyj

Orcs vs Skirmishers
« on: November 18, 2009, 12:02:45 PM »
In a different post, Kevin had made a comment about how Orcs would handle skirmishers, with the conclusion that more Goblins are likely to see the field.

What I thought was very interesting is that Orcs can Lash themselves to match the movement of the skirmishers. Interesting: For twice the cost of a regular historical skirmisher, you have Raiders that can functionally control one-two skirmishers. And if you just go with the Crazed Goblins version you can have an equivalent costed unit neutralizing them.

Not to mention that Wolf Riders would utterly obliterate a whole bunch of skirmishers on their own.

Has anyone played Orcs vs. Historicals? Did you find skirmishers made a difference? I would imagine that in the final analysis the Orcs have enough counters to make skirmishers not much of a factor - but could get into trouble if they didn't use them.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Re: Orcs vs Skirmishers
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2009, 04:05:11 PM »
Not to mention that Wolf Riders would utterly obliterate a whole bunch of skirmishers on their own.

This is the first thing I thought of when I read the thread title.  And yeah, Crazed Goblins would be great for Skirmisher hunting as they pretty much match them point-for-point.
"You can never break the chain - There is never love without pain
A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart
A healing hand, as secret touch on the heart"
-Rush, Secret Touch

Niko White

• Celestial Guard
  • A tíro nin, Fanuilos!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2009, 08:50:42 PM »

Lash in general also helps a lot against Skirmishers, not so much because it helps you catch them, but because it helps you fix disrupted lines.  Orcs tend to be more easily able to fish out someone who's gotten knocked out of position.

gull2112

• From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2009, 09:52:39 PM »
Okay, I'll weigh in. ;)

I find fanatics to be my new secret weapon, like fire they are a terrible foe and a fearsome servant (thanks George Washington). I think they would be troublesome to use as skirmisher defense because you have essentially no control over them. If you were able to set them up in an ideal position they would kick butt, but so does the goblin bomb chucker if you roll well.

My advice for fanatics is always buy lots, if your going to gamble you might as well go all in. I like to throw a troll in their midst every once in awhile too, Its like arming your trolls with pinchers. I also like the poetic cadence of the strongest and weakest working in scary symmetry.

Wolf riders would be my premo choice against skirmishers because they move faster so they do more damage and at 185 points they are one of the more reasonable anti-skirmisher units. Historically, I have rarely taken wolf riders, so James has usually had his wolfkin way with me, but if I were going up against Rome or Carthage I would definitely get me some wolfriders to ply their toothy trade upon the skirmishers. 8)
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/