Author Topic: Any word on the next historical sets?  (Read 16623 times)

ElDiablito

• Playtester
Any word on the next historical sets?
« on: November 08, 2009, 11:47:16 AM »
Hey!  As the subject line says, when can we see the sets for Alexander's rise to fame and Cortez's conquest of the Aztecs?

If it does not complicate the discussion, I would personaly prefer the Cortez set first, but I'm certain that Alexander would be easier; you only need to come up with rules for pikes and chariots. BTW, the reinforcement set could really expand you historical line with elephants and scenarios for the successor kingdoms and their eventual defeat to Rome.

ZiNOS

• Administrator
Re: Any word on the next historical sets?
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2009, 08:18:07 AM »
Sorry but i don't visit the forums that often now, real life and too much work on the next Historical Faction, Alexander vs Persia.

The task is not so easy actually. We don't have the information about the army composition and army equipment like we do for the Romans. Especially for the Persian army, all information we have is from a mosaic in Susa, the famous Alexander Mosaic, a relief around a stone casc and that's all actually.... and some paintings on vases.

The project is under way for more than 6 months now and still we have a lot of road to cover.

concerning the Successor kingdoms, i am pretty sure that we can do the Cynocephaloi battle of Romans vs Sarissa welding phalanxes as a tie in to the previous historical faction.

Still, i am more than happy with the way the set goes, i just stopped reading more books on the subject because after a while you startt questioning even what you had taken for granted at the start of the design.

I promise to publish more info once i have finalised some of the designs.

Cheers.
DON'T PANIC <-------In Large Friendly Letters

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2009, 08:24:05 PM »
Thanks Zinos! I always appreciate your more local familiarity with the subject. It actually brings a fresh perspective to me. I imagine it would be akin to my familiarity to the American Revolution posting on a forum in Greece.
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

ZiNOS

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2009, 12:15:28 AM »
Something like that exactly. Still there is some problem with me using Greek words in an English speaking forum, but then you don't have a word for Sarissa, have you :P

Cheers!

Karasu

• Playtester
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2009, 07:57:29 AM »
All historical wargamers I know just use Sarissa, unless they go in for saying 15' long pike.

Or possibly phalangite, rather than Sarissa-wielder.

ZiNOS

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2009, 08:19:02 AM »
Ok, bad joke.....

What i want to point is that i don't know latin and i know all the armament and the various names in Greek or ancient Greek. thus, i cannot translate a lot of words or spell them without the help of a word processor or dictionary.

?????????? is the foot companions. But when you start to translate actual names then a lot of errors are gonna happen.

Cheers!

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2009, 05:27:11 PM »
Yeah, but when you use the original greek term you sound so educated! ;D I would comment more on your FB page, but I can't do Cyrillic (read, use, or understand). It does look very cool though. 8)
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Jadetiger

• doder.org - Das M√ľnchner Rollenspielboard
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2009, 09:14:37 AM »
Alexander vs. Persians is a great idea! I think the Hydra from M&M ties in nicely here!
Visit the official Battleground Support Board for all German-speaking fans:  www.doder.org

Karasu

• Playtester
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2009, 12:14:10 PM »
Yeah, but when you use the original greek term you sound so educated! ;D I would comment more on your FB page, but I can't do Cyrillic (read, use, or understand). It does look very cool though. 8)

Someone's got a Russian Battleground page?  I wasn't even aware it had got that far!

ajax98

« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2009, 05:52:52 PM »
Greek missionaries took their alphabet (Cyrillic) to the illiterate Swedes/Rus.

lazyj

• Playtester
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2009, 05:59:26 PM »
That's awesome!  :D

Is that what really happened? Typical clueless American question, but it is curious. Living in Minneapolis, you tend to always want ammo against the Swede menace.  ;)

To the OP, I still have my heart set on a Japan / China setting.

ajax98

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2009, 12:36:10 AM »
One of the items I came across doing research.
I jazzed a cute blond Swedish lab tech solo dining at a Rick Steve's guide book recommended restaurant in Siena Italy a few years back about Swedish history. I blamed the Swedes for the Cold War because it was a bunch of Swedes gone East a-Viking that eventually became the Rus and history.

She was very interested in Jane Austen, Pride and Prejudice and the movies made of it. Something I found myself lacking in more than rudimentary knowledge of and thus unable to carry on a decent if fragment conversation.

« Last Edit: November 21, 2009, 01:13:47 AM by ajax98 »

ZiNOS

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2009, 01:44:26 AM »
Actually our alphabet is not called Cyrrilic. Cirrilus and Methodius (or something like that, i don't know latin), were the missionaries that gave the alphabet to the Slavs (i hope i use the correct word).

Our alphabet is called Greek and it probably evolved from the Phoenecian alphabet from ancient times.

Cheers.

ajax98

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2009, 05:24:21 AM »
For a more detailed expansion on language & alphabet:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrillic_alphabet

ZiNOS

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2009, 07:18:50 AM »
Just to get back on topic, the Persian side of this historical release is almost ready. The Macedonian side..... well, let's say that it is under development.  :-*

Cheers!