Author Topic: The terrain map on p. 22 isn't to scale, unless...  (Read 2150 times)

Kevin

• Playtester
The terrain map on p. 22 isn't to scale, unless...
« on: November 02, 2009, 11:31:20 AM »
When I played the first Rome/Carthage battle "Crossing the Rhone" from the PW book, we used the Terrain Pack and a standard-size map (36 by 30).  We noticed that the terrain pieces were smaller relative to the map than they were on the map in the scenario booklet.  For example, in the book (p. 22) the two-tiered hill touches Carthage's deployment zone and makes it almost all of the way up to Rome's deployment zone, but when putting down the terrain pieces there's a much larger gap.

Was the map just generally representative and not to be taken too literally (which is what we ended up doing.)?  Or were we supposed to use a smaller map?  (A smaller map would've made it an easier easier for Carthage, as it would've had enough units to hold its starting position).  Or <shudder> were we supposed to use custom terrain rather than that in the terrain pack?
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
Re: The terrain map on p. 22 isn't to scale, unless...
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2009, 11:25:37 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's all supposed to be the regular terrain and regular deployment zones.  Maybe something got mixed up in making the diagrams.  I have to take a look and set it up, but I'll get back to you.
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules

Chad_YMG

• Administrator
    • Your Move Games
Re: The terrain map on p. 22 isn't to scale, unless...
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2009, 05:40:22 AM »
I think you're right.  I'm not sure how we ended up with the error (i.e. I'm not sure whether it's entirely "stupid Chad" or "stupid Kaile with stupid Chad not catching it") but

Either way, I suspect the scenario plays about the same with any approximation of that hill.
David Humphrey está todavía en la Colina 217.
      - From Spanish translation of Hill 218 rules