Author Topic: Questions during a game  (Read 637 times)

Stubby

Questions during a game
« on: June 22, 2020, 03:13:19 PM »
https://photos.app.goo.gl/oM7iMK2HioUhg5BN7

See link for image.

Observation about a game I just played the other day:
I played a game and have two militia (one directly behind the other marked 1&2) where the one in front is engaged in combat to its front (against unit A). The flank of both militia is under threat of a final rush charge by enemy units B&C.  In my turn I want to turn my rear militia unit to face that flanking threat. I don't see that I can do this as I would have -2 MC for moving backwards and -2 MC for reforming (in this case turning the unit 90 degrees. This leaves me with 0" of move available and I would need 2.5" to clear the militia in front and not overlap. So the only option I have is to wheel backwards 1.75" (-2MC for moving backwards). Is this correct? if so it seems to me that having at least 2.5" in between front units and back units (especialy near the flanks of your forces) is wise so you can eliminate the -2 MC for moving backwards and instead you can just reform 90 degrees to face the oncoming flankers and still have 1.75" available to move towards them and hopefully make them the flankers closest target.

Question 1:
Provided it is the controller of Units A,B&Cs turn; How do the final rushes play out assuming no direct control is taking place?

For unit B; both unit 1&2 are within Final Rush Range but Unit 1 is closer so Unit B MUST final rush unit 1.
For unit C; both unit 1&2 are the same distance.

Am I correct in that I can two's company Unit 1 with both B&C OR simultaneously charge B into unit 1 and charge C into unit 2?  I I choose to two's company Unit 1, does Unit 2 get drawn into the combat?

Question 2:
Lets say that Unit B in the image was just a bit further forward (to the right of the photo) and its frontage is just slightly ahead of Unit 1's flank centerline.  In this case would unit 2 be the only available unit to final rush?  Or would I have to still final rush unit 1 since the front center of B is is still technically closer to the flank center point of unit 1?

« Last Edit: June 22, 2020, 03:44:25 PM by Stubby »

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Re: Questions during a game
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2020, 10:13:54 PM »
Hi Stubby, and welcome!  OK, on to the questions!

Question #1 - When 2 or more units final rush at the same time the controlling player decides on the order that occurs.  The targets of the final rushes are determined by the nearest targets to the respective units.   So in this case Swordsmen B will final rush Militia unit 1 and Light Cavalry C should have just enough frontage to final rush Peasant Mob 2

Question #2 - Unit B could still final rush Militia 1 even if its center point is behind the front of the Swordsmen's front center point as long as part of the Militia card is in the Swordsmen's front art.  In other words, if you draw an imaginary line across the front of the Swordsmen card and that line can touch any part of the Militia card, you could still final rush it.  Now it's possible that the Peasant Mob could be closer but since you choose the order of final rushes you could still have the Light Cavalry final rush the flank of the Peasants first and then have the Swordsmen flank the Milita.

Also, you could reform the Peasants to face the Light Cavalry then move them slightly to their left (right relative to the photo) and still have some bandwidth to push them forward towards the Light Cavalry a bit.

Cheers!
"Everybody got to elevate from the norm"
-Rush, Vital Signs

Stubby

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2020, 07:55:46 AM »
Thanks for the reply!

Only a few things I am still not clear on. 

1)I choose to two's company Unit 1 with B&C, does Unit 2 get drawn into the combat as I would be touching it?  How does that then work?  Can attacking unit C choose target unit 1 or 2 to attack in that instance?

2) To my understanding I can not reform the peasant mob 2 to face the flanking unit C because the card would overlap the militia.  Page 44 says"
Reform: the unit rotates to face any direction....the unit must have the space to rotate while avoiding overlap with other units."

I have to assume the rotate point is either the center of the card itself.  But that isn't totally clear either.  Is the rotate point the center point of the cards facing?  I don't think so, but again it isn't totally clear where the point of rotation is.  In either case, the peasant mob would be overlapping the militia.  The peasant mob is stuck with it's flank exposed during its turn (the only thing it would do without direct control would be to move over to its left since it is in C orders).  My observation about this was that having units directly behind each other has a major drawback when there are threatening flankers.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2020, 11:13:44 AM »
Sure thing!

1)I choose to two's company Unit 1 with B&C, does Unit 2 get drawn into the combat as I would be touching it?  How does that then work?  Can attacking unit C choose target unit 1 or 2 to attack in that instance?
OK, you really can't two's company Unit 1 because each attacking unit must be able to get at least half of its card front to touch the unit it's attacking.  However, you could do it if Unit 1 was facing both enemy units, or down in the picture.  If that happened, it is assumed that there is a micro thin line between Unit 1 and that attacking unit (Unit C in this case) but on the following turn Unit 2 could turn and engage Unit C since it could get exactly half of it's front to touch the front of Unit C.  You'd wind up with what would look like a brickwork pattern then where all 4 units are engaged but each line is staggered relative to the other.

2) To my understanding I can not reform the peasant mob 2 to face the flanking unit C because the card would overlap the militia.  Page 44 says"
Reform: the unit rotates to face any direction....the unit must have the space to rotate while avoiding overlap with other units."
True, but you could back it up slightly and then reform it so that it's not touching Unit 1.  Also, you can still rotate the unit with part of the unit temporarily overlapping an allied unit as long as it is not overlapping when the reform has been completed.

I have to assume the rotate point is either the center of the card itself.  But that isn't totally clear either.  Is the rotate point the center point of the cards facing?  I don't think so, but again it isn't totally clear where the point of rotation is.  In either case, the peasant mob would be overlapping the militia.  The peasant mob is stuck with it's flank exposed during its turn (the only thing it would do without direct control would be to move over to its left since it is in C orders).  My observation about this was that having units directly behind each other has a major drawback when there are threatening flankers.
The rotate point for a reform or about face is always the center of the card.  One thing you could do to avoid this is have the backing unit move in such a fashion that only part of it touches the unit it is backing up.  That way if the unit in the front gets flanked you can easily counter flank on your turn.  Having backup units flush against the unit they are backing up is fine in the center of the line.  It takes a bit more skill to pull it off cleanly on the flank.
"Everybody got to elevate from the norm"
-Rush, Vital Signs

Stubby

« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2020, 01:20:19 PM »
Thanks for the response again!

1)
I see on page 68 of the rulebook where you need "at least 1.75" of the final rushing unit's front side must touch the enemy's facing side" so thank you very much for identifying that (and I subsequently had to look harder to find it in the rulebook)

So unit 2 would NOT get drawn into the combat.  OK

"...but on the following turn Unit 2 could turn and engage Unit C since it could get exactly half of it's front to touch the front of Unit C. "
This I am not sure is possible as unit 2 in this case would have no visibility of unit B or C as it would be facing unit 1 and would be flush against them.

2)
I now see what I can do though in the peasant mob and militia's turn.  The Peasant mob can move backwards then reform to face the enemy.  -1MC for moving backwards and -2 MC for reform.  Leaving me with 1.25" in movement to move backwards which is enough to clear the militia and face the unit B & C if I am reforming from the center of the card.  So I don't see how the peasant mob could final rush in their following turn but they can at least turn to face the enemy flankers.

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2020, 03:23:54 PM »

1)
I see on page 68 of the rulebook where you need "at least 1.75" of the final rushing unit's front side must touch the enemy's facing side" so thank you very much for identifying that (and I subsequently had to look harder to find it in the rulebook)

Tangentially, what do you think of the Rulebook?  We tried very hard to improve it over previous iterations.

Stubby

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2020, 11:29:39 PM »
I do like the rulebook better for sure.  There are really quite a bit of little things that seem a bit shakey at first.  As an example...Disrupted.  Initially, I am not totally clear on how a unit gets disrupted and really what the main point of it is.  If you go to the Index on page 144 it refers to "Disrupted (Status)...23,88,101,102, 134"  now if you go to those pages, none of them tell you HOW a unit gets disrupted.  Looking it over for a while I finally found how a unit gets disrupted on page 87.  It would be nice for all the rules regarding being disrupted were summarized on a single page or entry.  I also play X-WING second edition and if you are familiar with that game they have a rules reference document online that is alphabetized.  They would have all the rules for "disrupted" on a single entry for instance (you would just go to D and look it up as it is in alphabetical order).