Author Topic: Rules 4.0 Are units that are routed with an enemy to the rear always destroyed?  (Read 69 times)

ChimpMasaki

While reading over the 4.0 rules waiting for the new Men of Hawkshold to arrive I have the following question about routing units. Page 74 under Initial rout movement says that a unit always performs an about face and then, after free attacks, attempts to move. Routing into an enemy unit results in the router being destroyed. Does this mean that a unit with an enemy to the rear is destroyed 100% of the time?

Example A: Swordsmen fighting zombies to the front gets pinched by zombies to the flank and fails its rout check.

Here the Swordsmen will about face away from the front zombies and, after free attacks, make a move away from those zombies easily outdistancing the slow pursuers.

Example B: Swordsmen fighting zombies to the rear gets pinched by zombies to the flank and fails its rout check.

In this case it seems the Swordsmen will about face towards the zombies, run into them and be immediately devoured.

Is this correct? It seems odd that the guys who could have easily gotten away decided to run towards death.

Duane_Nordeen

• Playtester
The unit gets a free sideways movement first.  There's an example image with this free maneuver but I don't have the page number right now

Hannibal

• Administrator
Example B: Swordsmen fighting zombies to the rear gets pinched by zombies to the flank and fails its rout check.

In this case it seems the Swordsmen will about face towards the zombies, run into them and be immediately devoured.

Is this correct? It seems odd that the guys who could have easily gotten away decided to run towards death.

Yes that's what will happen, the unit will most likely be destroyed.  It's possible that if the enemy couldn't fully contact the rear of the unit that with the free slide your unit will escape, but other than that it's going to be destroyed.

The idea behind it is to capture the chaos of the battlefield.  To you and me it may seem obvious that they would run forward one turn and be safe.  But to soldiers in the battle with the adrenaline causing their heart to thump in their chest, the only thing they know is that something is attacking them from behind.  And this is after they've been hit on the side. 

In this moment of panic they're not going to calculate the optimal path to flee.  They're going to try to get the hell out of there.  (And there's a good chance that the enemy line is front of them.  They certainly don't want to try to run towards more enemies.)  With nowhere to go, because their path back to the camp (i.e. behind them) is block.  So the men scatter in every direction trying to get to safety, and the unit dissolves.

Don't let enemies charge your units on the rear....  ;D
« Last Edit: May 12, 2020, 11:45:23 AM by Hannibal »

ChimpMasaki

Thanks for the replies - glad to know I have it right :)