Author Topic: Civil War Key Words - Draft 3  (Read 75 times)

Duane_Nordeen

• Playtester
Civil War Key Words - Draft 3
« on: May 02, 2020, 02:57:50 PM »
After some playtests and input from YMG team, here's draft 3 of the keywords.  (Really like draft 14, but I reset to draft 1 after starting playtesting)

Unit Keywords:

Cannon: This unit cannot shoot an engaged unit.  This unit can only shoot on your turn.  It takes 2 command actions to reload 1 ammo box on this unit.  If this unit’s ranged attack deals at least 1 hit (not counting impact hits), gain 2 additional impact hits.  At point blank range, this unit’s ranged attack is LOS.
Drifting: While airborne, the current active player represents the winds that provide this unit’s flying movement.  This unit is direct controlled for free, and the unit moves its flying speed on your turn and your opponent’s turn.  On your opponent’s turn, the unit gets -2MC.  This unit takes no MC penalty for maneuvers. 
Firearm:  During your Combat Phase, this unit may give up its attack to reload 1 ammo box for free.  After making a ranged to-hit roll, before any dice are modified, this unit gets 1 additional  impact hit for each “1” rolled. 
Quick Load: This unit reloads 1 ammo box for free during your Movement and Command phase. 
Point Blank Range:  At range 2” or less, this unit’s range attack gains (+0) +2/+0 and 2 additional impact hits. 
Spotter X”:  Spend a Command Action.  Choose a friendly indirect fire unit within X” of this unit.  Any one enemy unit visible to this unit is visible to the chosen friendly unit and treats that enemy unit as the nearest enemy.  In addition to any other modifiers, the friendly unit gets (-0) -1/-0 on range attacks against that enemy unit.
Unnerving:  When an enemy unit takes damage from firearms, that unit must take a Rout check. 

Design Notes: V3 changes:

I never liked having so many keywords.  The original design dates to before the ammo boxes, and I never realized the potential for using ammo boxes to simulate some of the key words.   Slow Firing and Slow Loading were eliminated by giving each unit 1 ammo box and combining into the firearm key word.  The quick load keyword allows the civil war rifles to fire during each of the player’s turn instead of every other turn like firearms such as cannon and primitive smoothbores used by the Partisans. I did away with the option to reload cannons because now it’s just a normal reload for the ammo box. 

The quick load also avoids the player having his/her entire army out of ammo after 1 turn of firing.  There are some units that will have more ammo boxes that do not get the quick load keyword.  There'll be over 6 units requiring reload every turn.  It wouldn't be fair to burden the player with forced reloads like that.

For the firearm keyword, I didn't want every unit to have an automatic impact hit on all ranged attacks.  There should be a chance for the infantry & cavalry to miss the shot.  For now, I went with a modified nets. Roll a 1, get an impact hit.

The new cannon key word combines Ricochet Shot and Canister and changes the impact hits to being dependent on good shoots (i.e., rolling 1’s).  Cannon also increases the reload cost to 2 command actions to help avoid these units shooting every single turn.  I dropped explosive shell, being able to move and shoot will make the Napoleon Gun different from the Ordnance Rifle.  I had to state that it can only shoot on your turn or it ended up loading on your turn & firing on the opponent's turn.  That's faster than I currently want.

For the most part, the differences between rifles and smoothbore can be handled by changing the offensive and range stats so there’s no need to have those keywords.  Firearm with quick load and stronger stats will turn a smoothbore into a rifle with the minie ball ammunition.  Older rifles before the minie ball would have the stronger stats without quick load. 

Unnerving is an addition from the YMG team.  Even if it doesn't knock you into the Yellow/Red, the idea is that firearms are the "awe" part of shock & awe tactics.  They disrupt an enemy so that they can be finished off by a charge.  I like it, but it may be dropped since there are already a lot of disruptions.

I dropped tethered as being too complicated.  The balloon will just drift the entire game.  Vulnerable is gone, and the cannons will have very poor stats when engaged.  I dropped enfilade fire because it was mostly used at point blank range.  I never intended it for that purpose, but at longer ranges it also was too much hinderance on the opponent.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2020, 06:17:02 PM by Duane_Nordeen »

Duane_Nordeen

• Playtester
Re: Civil War Key Words - Draft 3
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2020, 05:51:52 PM »
And...during playtest prep decided things needed to be simplified.  Firearm and Cannon no longer stack together.  They're separate keywords now.  Took point blank range out.  It's on the list of possible command cards though.  Quick load would let the Union fire on Hawk's turn and then fire again on the Union turn for a double blast.  That's too powerful, so Quick Load was dropped.  Firearm was modified to allow reloading during any combat phase.  Essentially the same.  Load 1 turn, Fire next, repeat.  Speed it up with a CA that reloads the box.

Firearm: Instead of attacking, this unit may reload 1 ammo box for free.  If this unit’s ranged attack deals at least 1 hit (not counting impact hits), gain 1 additional impact hit.
Cannon:  This unit’s ranged attack has 1 impact hit.  This unit cannot shoot an engaged unit.  This unit can only shoot on your turn.  During your Combat Phase, instead of attacking, this unit may reload 1 ammo box for free.   It costs 2 command actions to reload 1 ammo box on this unit.  If this unit’s ranged attack deals at least 1 hit (not counting impact hits), gain 2 additional impact hits. 
Drifting:  While airborne, the current active player represents the winds that provide this unit’s flying movement.  This unit is direct controlled for free, and the unit moves its flying speed on your turn and your opponent’s turn.  On your opponent’s turn, the unit gets -2MC.  This unit takes no MC penalty for maneuvers. 
Spotter X”:  Spend a Command Action.  Choose a friendly indirect fire unit within X” of this unit.  Any one enemy unit visible to this unit is visible to the chosen friendly unit and treats that enemy unit as the nearest enemy.  In addition to any other modifiers, the friendly unit gets (-0) -1/-0 on range attacks against that enemy unit.
Unnerving: When an enemy unit takes damage from firearms, that unit must take a Rout check.