Author Topic: Any interest in American Civil War factions?  (Read 138 times)

Duane_Nordeen

• Playtester
Any interest in American Civil War factions?
« on: April 20, 2020, 10:46:04 AM »
A year ago or so, I threw together factions for the North and South.

Do you think there would be an interest for that?

If so, I can share the factions, creation thoughts, the good, and the problem areas

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Re: Any interest in American Civil War factions?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 05:16:59 PM »
Brook (gornhorror) brought that up a couple years ago.  It's not a bad idea but we'd have to be extremely careful how we introduce gunpowder rules into the game.  And we require each faction to have a minimum of 12 units each.  I'm not sure if we could crank out 12 units for the Confederacy or the Union.
"Everybody got to elevate from the norm"
-Rush, Vital Signs

Duane_Nordeen

• Playtester
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 05:44:33 PM »
Agree the gunpowder needs to be carefully added.

I actually came up with 12 units per army.  Each army has 6 units that the other does not have.  The 6 that are shared are not exactly the same either.  I added variances for theming (Core vs Standard, hit boxes, etc).

The general idea is that the units are like bowmen when engaged, struggle outside of 7" for ranged attacks, but will hit very hard within 2.5"

Most units are "slow firing" (Only shoot on your turn)
Artillery are "slow firing" and "slow loading" (Can only shoot on your turn.  To shoot, the "loaded" box must be checked.  Instead of attacking, you can check the "loaded" box)

Duane_Nordeen

• Playtester
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 06:10:04 PM »
Union Army (13 units):  Theme - Technology, standardized supplies, not committed, city folk (lack of riding skills)

Core:
Union Line Infantry
Volunteers
Union Colors & Drums
Napoleon Gun (Cannon)

Standard:
Marksmen
Union Cavalry
Mounted Infantry (Move 6", but Final Rush 3.5") They fight on foot.
Mounted Rifles (Cavalry with infantry rifles)
Ordnance Rifle (Cannon)

Elite:
Repeating Rifles
Gatling Gun
54th Massachusetts
Hot Air Balloon

Confederate Army (13 Units): Supply problems, rural folk with riding skills, more committed than Union

Core:
State Militia
Confederate Colors & Drums
Confederate Cavalry
Shotgun Cavalry (Javelin rule)
Mixed Battery (Cannon)

Standard:
Confederate Line Infantry
Partisans
Partisan Rangers
Parrot Rifle (Cannon)
Sharpshooters

Elite:
Zouves
Horse Artillery
Generals

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2020, 09:28:20 AM »
Well... wow!  I'm only a very casual Civil War guy so I didn't think you could get more than 7-8 units per side.  But along comes Duane proving me wrong!

Now we need to get Brook in here, he floated this idea to me a couple years ago.
"Everybody got to elevate from the norm"
-Rush, Vital Signs

Duane_Nordeen

• Playtester
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 09:58:10 AM »
I've got DRAFT stats on all the units.  Tons of "design notes" etc.

I've been doing a lot of playtesting the Union Line Infantry vs Old Hawk Bowmen (5 per side).  The current Line Infantry wins some and loses some.  It usually comes down to a combination of who moves into range first and whether the Bowmen can kill off enough infantry before the infantry gets to point blank range.  If the Bowmen are on RS and move into range 7, they get a free shot since the Infantry can't fire on Hawk's turn.  If the Bowmen hold at range 14, they pummel the infantry fairly well on the way in.  If the infantry shoot it out at 7" it goes 50/50 either way.  If the infantry close in, it depends on whether they can get within 2.5" on their turn.

The Line Infantry really has that Civil War feel of losing guys on the way in, but maybe just making it (or not).  I'm bleeding troops, but hopefully not too many.

If you can give me a point estimate, I can expand out to include units other than Hawk Bowmen:

Union Line Infantry (Aimed Fire, Slow Shooting, Point Blank Range, Enfilade Fire)
O: (6*) 4*/9*  D: 1/1  Rge: 7"*  Cge: 10*  M: 3.5"
5G-3Y-2R
No penalty for move and shoot
O: (0) +1/+0 when engaged against Large units and Cavalry
O: (4) 4/4 while engaged
Ranged attack is LOS
Courage +2 when within leadership range of any of your non-routing units.
Equipment: Rifles and bayonets

Key Words:
1) Aimed Fire: You may spend a command action to give this unit range 21” for this turn. If you are direct controlling this unit, you do not need to spend an additional command action.
2) Enfilade Fire: Within short range, this unit gains the engaged flank bonus and 1 impact hit for ranged shots when the target's nearest facing side is a flank.
3) Point Blank Range: At range 2.5”, this unit’s range shot gains (+0) +2/+0 and 3 impact hits.
4) Slow Shooting:  This unit can only shoot on your turn.

I gave them a 4 skill because the biggest logistical difference between gunpowder and bows was you can train someone in a few weeks/months with a gun, but a bow required a lifetime of experience. 

I gave them 9 Power because bullets should get overkill on T3 armored units.  That's pretty much why armor went away.

I added Point Blank Range so if they survive the march in, there's a chance for a stupendous blast while keeping the unit fairly weak outside 2.5"

Range is 7" because of the blinding powder smoke.  The rifles were fairly long-ranged, but the units couldn't see through the powder smoke.  Aimed Fire keyword represents waiting for the smoke to clear to make a long-ranged shot.  In the civil war, the rifles were actually longer ranged then the cannon for the most part.  The powder smoke gave me a thematic reason to lower the range way down.  Aimed Fire gave a thematic reason for allowing a possibility of long shots.

If I get these guys right, the other units build from there.