Author Topic: Potential problem with new Indirect Path Rule  (Read 1083 times)

Bohan

• Playtester
Potential problem with new Indirect Path Rule
« on: May 25, 2019, 12:45:39 PM »
It seems like the narrow line method to determine whether a unit can use the indirect path rule creates some problematic situations? (p.40-43)

For example, suppose I want a unit to back up two of my friendly units, but there's a tiny gap in the line. It seems like this would force the backup unit to start walking around?

Kevin

Re: Potential problem with new Indirect Path Rule
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2019, 04:04:42 PM »
Unless I'm mistaken, per page 40 the player gets to choose "direct path" or "indirect path".  Thus, in the situation above, if you want the unit to stay behind its allies, you just say "direct path," and you're all set.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Bohan

• Playtester
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2019, 11:14:12 PM »

Key word being line. Step 2 is measuring from center point to center point to check for nearest unit.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2019, 11:20:52 PM by Zelc »

Kevin

« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2019, 03:04:58 PM »
Ah.  Missed that.  Yeah, that's hinky.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2019, 11:50:28 AM »
It seems like the narrow line method to determine whether a unit can use the indirect path rule creates some problematic situations? (p.40-43)

For example, suppose I want a unit to back up two of my friendly units, but there's a tiny gap in the line. It seems like this would force the backup unit to start walking around?

Depends on the unit's order. 

If the unit has the Close standing order then see page 43:

Nearest Open Side: A unit on Close that is blocked from moving towards an enemy unit may move differently or towards a different enemy. This happens if:
• The Nearest Enemy unit’s front center point of its Facing Side is obstructed by an impassible object (such as impassible terrain or another unit)

or

• If there is not an Open Path to the Nearest Enemy unit’s Facing Side.

If either of these happen, the unit first checks to see if there is an enemy unit that can be Final Rushed. If so,it will attempt to do that.  If there is not or the enemy cannot be Final Rushed, then the unit on Close invokes the Indirect Path rule (pg 40).

If Option A of the Indirect Path rule is chosen, the unit moves forward until it touches the obstruction.

If Option B is chosen, then the unit moves towards the Nearest Open Side of any enemy unit. Re-determine which enemy unit is in the Nearest Enemy, excluding
the obstructed Facing Side of the enemy unit. Instead use the closest unobstructed side and measure to the center point of that side.

If a different enemy unit is the Nearest Enemy, the unit will move towards that enemy.

If the same enemy unit is the Nearest Enemy, then the unobstructed side becomes the Facing Side. The unit on Close will move to minimize the distance between
its center point and the center point of that side.

I tried to foresee that issue with Close (and with units that have LOS attacks), so that there would have to be a viable charge target for them to be denied the Indirect Path rule.

But it does seem wonky that units on Range and Hold do have to take the long path around if there's a sliver of daylight towards their objective.