Author Topic: Winter 2019 Battleground Championship Tournament Discussion  (Read 2083 times)

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Re: Winter 2019 Battleground Championship Tournament Discussion
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2019, 04:39:52 PM »
Of course I'll be there all weekend including Friday.  Rylan will be there for most of that stretch as well.  Chris has also agreed to be there on pain of me confiscating all of his Rush CDs if he doesn't show.
"Chase the Sun around the World I want to look at life
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2019, 12:28:00 PM »
Hello, anybody out there?  Who's showin' up to this shin dig....?  Somebody has to try to take down my Elves.........
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2019, 10:39:30 AM »
So, who's making the trip to good ol' Morristown to play in our tournament?  I'm very curious as to what the turn out is going to be.  Doesn't anybody want to do some killin'?

rog5

• Playtester
  • Hey there, hi there, ho there...
« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2019, 05:44:27 PM »
You may want to post this event on boardgamegeek.

Unfortunately, it's a wee bit too far away for me...
There is no box...

Kevin

« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2019, 06:58:26 PM »
So how did it go?  Any epic, memorable games?
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2019, 05:39:10 PM »
OK, I'll give a quick round up.

First of all, the attendance was low.  Part of that is on me for not pushing this very hard this year, but in my defense I have a ton of personal stuff on the home front (not really bad, just lots of it) as well as the slew of YMG work that I just completed to go along with my increasingly high pressure full time job.  The other is that while Dreamation is organized by the same folks that organize DexCon and it's at the same location, the turn out was only about 2/3 of what you'd expect at DexCon.  I was unaware of that so we where clearly below expected attendance.  That said, we still got a ton of gaming in and it was pretty darned fun.

Brook and I showed up Friday morning, picked up our pre-reg materials, set up, and started playing.  He had to leave around dinner time to attend a concert with his wife so we just had 3 of us (Eric, my son Rylan, and myself) for the Friday night big game.  Eric won that one quite handily. 

Saturday we had local Undead legend Chris Dixon show up for a couple of games so I sat out the 1st 2 games and plugged myself in to maintain an even amount of players.  So we had this:

Round 1
Chris (Undead) over Rylan (Classic Hawkshold)
Brook (Dark Elves!) over Eric (Dwarves)

Round 2
Chris over Brook
Eric over Rylan

Round 3
Brook over Rylan
Marcus (Wuxing) over Eric

Finals (Sunday)
Brook over Eric

Congrats to Brook for winning the Winter Invitational using Dark Elves of all factions!

I'll let the players get into the particulars.

We also had another big game Saturday night that was a load of fun despite my troops not being able to do a single thing right.  Of note was Eric's battle cry of the weekend: "We are so screwed!".  Yet he and Brook still beat Rylan and I handily.

Of Note:
Wile he lost all of his games, Rylan (now 13) was competitive in all of them.  He's getting better and he's developed a true passion for the game.

Eric's luck seemed to run afoul all weekend.  He didn't necessarily roll terribly all the time, but when he wasn't rolling terribly his opponents where rolling extraordinarily well.  And in his first game against Brook he blew nearly every route check he took.  With Dwarves.  The game I played against him came down to a square-off between his Hammermen and my Wuxing Guardians.  He needed the Hammermen to pass a check at a 15 after he played a card.  He rolled a 16.  Him having to borrow my dice for the weekend may have had something to do with all that ;)
While he lost all of his.

Again, Brook played Dark Elves.  That's certainly of note.  He had the High Elven box in his hand then changed his mind at the last minute much to the shock of all.
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light

Kevin

« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 02:27:41 PM »
Thanks for the report!  Nice to see that your son is giving it a go.

Too bad Chris had to go early--he was an unstoppable , undefeated juggernaut!  :)
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 03:51:44 PM »
Yeah, my battle with Chris came down to the wire.  The points had to be accounted.  He edged me out.  Go Chris!!!!!  As long as I kill Dwarves I'm good though.....:)

Kevin

« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 11:59:33 PM »
And good show, Brook!  It's been a while since the Dark Elves took a victory. 

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2019, 11:21:19 AM »
Some things of note from the weekend.  All of my armies had a Lashmistress.  They are just too good, even with the official nerf.   I haven't played the faction enough yet to determine if the Siren's call ability is broken.  My gut instinct is that it is game breaking.

There was only 5 of us but we had lots of discussions about various things and how they could be tweaked.  One discussion was about the Lashmistress and it's ability.  One possible change was spearheaded by Eric.  Not that I agree with everything he says, but this change I liked.

He said that the Lashmistress ability should be a ranged attack that if it does damage a "close order on the Lashmistress is applied"  Then on the opponents turn that unit must close of the Lashmistress at it's maximum speed......Unless the orders are changed on the owning players turn.  So essentially the ability is a command action drain.    Eric wanted this to cost only one command action but I think it should cost 2, just like when you un-disrupt a unit.  In addition, you could say that if any other unit other than the Lashmistress engages this unit while it's under this effect it counts as being disrupted (-1/-1/-1)  What do people think of this new suggestion?

Also, we had a few suggestions about the ranged rules, but that's a whole other ball of wax.......:)

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2019, 11:49:45 AM »
And good show, Brook!  It's been a while since the Dark Elves took a victory.

Yeah, it's not like me to play Dark Elves...but hey....their Elves.....:) 

Just have to win a tourney with the High Elves now.....and it's the trifecta....:)

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2019, 12:21:38 PM »
Some things of note from the weekend.  All of my armies had a Lashmistress.  They are just too good, even with the official nerf.   I haven't played the faction enough yet to determine if the Siren's call ability is broken.  My gut instinct is that it is game breaking.

There was only 5 of us but we had lots of discussions about various things and how they could be tweaked.  One discussion was about the Lashmistress and it's ability.  One possible change was spearheaded by Eric.  Not that I agree with everything he says, but this change I liked.

He said that the Lashmistress ability should be a ranged attack that if it does damage a "close order on the Lashmistress is applied"  Then on the opponents turn that unit must close of the Lashmistress at it's maximum speed......Unless the orders are changed on the owning players turn.  So essentially the ability is a command action drain.    Eric wanted this to cost only one command action but I think it should cost 2, just like when you un-disrupt a unit.  In addition, you could say that if any other unit other than the Lashmistress engages this unit while it's under this effect it counts as being disrupted (-1/-1/-1)  What do people think of this new suggestion?

I think this is a good suggestion for the Rules Team.  One of the things that bugs me about the Lashmistresses is they break the way the game works, by shooting in the M&C Phase and then moving the other player's unit before that player can do anything.  Even if it's balanced it's frustrating to play.

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2019, 03:57:03 PM »
I have exactly 2 pics of the finals game and the stupid forum isn't letting me upload them from my phone.

Stupid forum.
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light