Author Topic: Dwarves - Carthage 2000 Terrain Total Warfare  (Read 109 times)

Kevin

• Administrator
Dwarves - Carthage 2000 Terrain Total Warfare
« on: November 29, 2017, 10:03:57 PM »
Blakely and I played another game last week.  The usual, including me spotting her 100 points.  She hadn't battled a historical army in a while, so I took Carthage and gave it a go.

Set Up and Strategy

Dwarves, left to right:  Spearmen behind Crossbowmen, Axemen, Hammermen, Longbeards, Spearmen, Miners, Militai

A solid infantry line with a weak (viewer's) right flank in order to make the rest very powerful.  Longbeards are aimed at the hill, on the theory that Carthage has no answer to that unit and can't concede the hill either.

Carthage, left to right:  Caetrati behind Elephants, Libyan Fail, Libyan Fail, Elephants, Carthaginian Spearmen behind Slingers, Carthaginian Spearmen, Scutarii.

The plan here was to get an Elephant on the high ground and then hope to aim someone at a weak spot and break through before my army got ground down.

Hope in the Center!

On the left, Crossbowmen slide to the side to let the Spearmen go up against the ELephants.  Since it'll be a good long time before the Crossbowmen get engaged, I'm comfortable facing them with cheapass Caetrati. 

Elephants vs. Spearmen isn't looking like fun, though, so I have the Elephants and a Libyan Fail switch places.

In the center, Elephants have taken the high ground, but don't final rush due to a location target.  However, the Libyan Fail nearby get an amazing pila throw at the Longbeards and do 2 damage, and an Inspired Strike (1 damage guaranteed) card on the Direct-Controlled (to stay out of FR range) Slingers makes it 3.  Between the high ground and a single green box on the Longbeards, I'm smelling possible victory here.

My units move forward on the right.  I'm wishing that those Carthaginian Spearmen up against miners were cheaper Scutarii instead.  Bah.  Still expecting good things on that flank.

Elephant Poop

Left to right:

Crossbowmen continue to whiff.

Libyan Fail throw pila and put a point on the Spearmen.

Elephants charge, with a corner in the woods.  Axemen blow their fear check; Elephants may as well be afraid as they blow their dice and do zero damage.

Spearman rout when they go into the yellow (no Rune card).  Hooray for team human!

Elephants make up for that miracle pila shot by doing 1 damage on the charge despite an unanswered Force card.   :-\  Longbeards don't run and put on decent damage despite a Mettle cards, and now the breakthrough isn't going to happen and I've used my best cards.

Dwarf Spearmen knock away the skirmishers, and my Spearmen take position.  In hindsight, I'd have been better off here with a Libyan Fail than the chump squad.

Miners put 3 damage on my Spearmen while my guys think they're elephants and totally whiff.

Scutarii throw pila twice and engage.

Blakely is very unhappy with her Hammermen, who totally failed to get with their theme of their commander's sweatshirt.  ("Nevertheless, she persisted.")

Dilemma and Living Up to their Name

Left to right:

Caetrati buy their allies time by positioning themselves to cover the Libyan Fail's flank and keep the Libyan Fail out of the Crossbowmen's front arc after the Crossbowmen swat the Caetrati away.

Libyan Fail are likely to beat the Spearmen, but with heavy casualties.

Elephants and Axemen go tit-for-tat.

Now for my dilemma: After the Hammermen routed and rallied, The Libyan Fail had a choice:  charge the Hammermen and hope to kill them quickly--which hopefully would lead to pinching the axemen and rolling the line--but the Longbeards would likely kill the Elephants on the hill.  Or pinch the Longbeards, but get counter-pinched (or at least flanked) by the Hammermen on the next turn and likely lose the unit.  I thought hard about it and elected to do the former, in part because the Longbeards woudn't be in a position to engage anyone else anytime soon.  A brutal charge brought the Dwarves down to 1 red box...

,..and the Libyan Fail run away, crushing my hopes.   :'(  Blakely lets her Hammermen, who also rout, spend the rest of the game huffing it away.

Carthaginian Cowards get Loyalty for +3 courage and run for it anyhow.  At least the skirmishers stay put. 

Damn, I think the other Carthaginian Spearmen are going to lose!  At least the Scutarii are doing well, though the Militia are taking a while to grind down.

Hoping for a Miracle and White Flag

By now things are getting ugly, but Carthage fights on, hoping for a miracle which never came.

On the left, Libyan Fail finish off the Dwarf Speaermen (who may have routed in the red) and flank the Crossbowmen.  Skirmishers auto-rally, then go in for the pinch, but are killed in an engaged attack.  Libyan Fail has a decent chance to win this fight, but they'll be in the red.

Elephants and Axemen (with their Rune of Uruz marked) are trading blows, then the Longbeards mosey on over and the Elephants explode.  No wonder those poor things went extinct.

Dwarf Spearmen predictably wipe out my lighter Spearmen unit. 

Miners and Spearmen, both in the red, run away from each other.

Scutarii are winning, gradually.

I packed it in at this point.  Even if my two engaged units won their fights (which was questionable as is), I'd be down to 3 units in the red and a skirmisher vs. four Dwarven units, including Longbears and Spearmen who both had decent fight left in them.  It would be close, but there was no real way to win this one.  I threw in the towel.

------------------
Victory to the Dwarves

Blakely did what she had to do:  she made a solid line, avoided getting outmaneuvered, and let her Dwarves' superior weight prevail in a big, long ouch for Carthage.  My own less-then-optimal army build didn't do me any favors--Spearmen were there to counter Antonians who never showed up--I'd have done better with pila-throwers.

Heroes of the game:

Dwarves:  While the Longbeards did well, I'm giving it to the Miners.  Technically the weak point in their line, they stayed there, prevented a breakthrough and pinch, and mangled my heavier unit down to where it was no longer a threat.

Carthage:  I'll give it to the Libyan Fail on the left, who defeated Spearmen (who are slightly cheaper, but fight slightly better), then flanked the Crossbowmen and would either barely prevail or would at least put on some decent damage.

Good game, Blakely!
« Last Edit: November 29, 2017, 10:40:14 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
Re: Dwarves - Carthage 2000 Terrain Total Warfare
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 02:33:09 PM »
Dwarves win....booooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.  :)

Wait a minute.......they were playing against Carthage with elephants, spears and pilas?  Dwarves win......yaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!

No really, good job Blakely....:)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 02:35:46 PM by gornhorror »
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 02:41:56 PM »
Good report and well played Blakely!  One of those elephants came close to having to deal with a forest.  Elephants are a tough call against Dwarves because the impact hits don't hurt as much and Dwarves love facing guys with 1/3 defense.  Kevin, of course, knows this  :)
"The point of the journey is not to return... anything can happen"
-Rush, Prime Mover

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 11:20:16 PM »
Good report and well played Blakely!  One of those elephants came close to having to deal with a forest.

In fact, the Elephants unit did end up with a corner stuck in the forest--fortunately a pinch by Longbeards spared me the annoyance of slowed movement.

I needed one set of Elephants as it was the only way to take the hill.  I'll admit to hoping that the other one would find some Antonian Horsemen to steamroll, but t'was not to be.  That said, it's not clear that Libyan Fail do any better.  Elephants at least have 6 power so you're not punching through on 2s and while their courage is worse, their hit points are better and I was able to avoid at least one crappy rout check with "Taste of Victory."
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 09:04:39 AM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

sullivus

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 07:48:08 PM »
Nice writeup Kevin!!

Don't you love when you have an important decision to make.  You think long and hard about it, debate, run some statistics, make what you believe to be the best decision and then it doesn't even matter because you fail the route check on the next turn!

Now for my dilemma: After the Hammermen routed and rallied, The Libyan Fail had a choice:  charge the Hammermen and hope to kill them quickly--which hopefully would lead to pinching the axemen and rolling the line--but the Longbeards would likely kill the Elephants on the hill.  Or pinch the Longbeards, but get counter-pinched (or at least flanked) by the Hammermen on the next turn and likely lose the unit.  I thought hard about it and elected to do the former, in part because the Longbeards woudn't be in a position to engage anyone else anytime soon.  A brutal charge brought the Dwarves down to 1 red box...

,..and the Libyan Fail run away, crushing my hopes.

Lucky me - that could have been way more painful than it was.