Author Topic: Championship 2018 Feb 24-25 at Totalcon, Marlborough MA.  (Read 224 times)

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Championship 2018 Feb 24-25 at Totalcon, Marlborough MA.
« on: November 08, 2017, 10:51:04 AM »
Ahoy thar mateys!  It's time to open the dialogue about the Battleground Fantasy/Historical Warfare Annual Championship Tournament on February 24-25 at TotalCon in Marlborough Massachusetts.  I have some salient points here:

1 - Kevin has stepped down as the tournament director after running the event for the last 7 years.  He's still going to play, but he's put an awful lot of time, effort, and money into this endeavor and he wanted to step aside so he could enjoy the experience purely as a player.  We cannot express enough just how appreciative we are of his efforts.  As a result, I will be running the event in his stead.

2 - I put a good amount of thought into switching the tournament to Boston's Arisia Convention in January.  After all, our very own Jaime is one of the event's organizers and it is indeed a splendid event.  However, it's too close to the holidays and would present some scheduling difficulties on my end, not to mention the fact that it's only 2 months away.  If you are interested in attending that convention, you can visit their site here:  http://www.arisia.org

3 - I will be preserving Kevin's over all format of 4 rounds on Saturday with 2 rounds of single elimination for the top 4 players on Sunday with an ongoing casual Swiss event occurring at the same time on Sunday.  I know we've had some trouble moving games along lately so I'm working on a schedule that will help regulate the game speed so we can get those 4 Saturday games in easily.

4 - I won't be using as many special rules or as much errata as have been used at Championship in the past.  I'd like to stick to the rules as printed as much as I possibly can.  With that being said, Your Move Games is working towards a faction launch of Hawkshold 2.0 in the 1st half of the year and there will be some changes to the rule book.  Any rules that we are planning on altering or including in the new 4.0 rule book WILL be used.  Pending changes to Skirmisher, Ranged, and Flying rules are coming down the pipe and we'll use them at Championship.  I'd like to finalize the rules used before the New Year so you WILL have a couple of months to grasp them.  A nice side effect to this is that if anything winds up being broken, we'll have a chance to fix them before the release.

5 - I'll participate in the tournament if needed to create an even number of players.  So if 11 players show up excluding myself, I'll sit in as the 12th player.  If 10 players show up, we'll roll with 10 and I'll do the judge thing.  Don't worry, I'll find ways to keep myself occupied when I'm not required to be involved with rulings and such  ;)

6 - We may or may not run an official Battleground event Friday night, based upon popular demand.  I was considering running a blind big game event like we did at Council of 5 Nations this past September.  Or we could do something else.  Or we could just it easy.  Be vocal - TELL US WHAT YOU'D LIKE TO SEE!!!

This post will be updated regularly so PLEASE CHECK BACK OFTEN.  More details will be added as we get closer to the convention, but I want to have the rules, game schedule, and any unique special situations and/or packages nailed down by the New Year so you fine folks have an opportunity to ruminate on them and nobody get's caught with their pants down.

Cheers!
"The point of the journey is not to return... anything can happen"
-Rush, Prime Mover

GoIndy

• Playtester
Re: Championship 2018 Feb 24-25 at Totalcon, Marlborough MA.
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 11:15:58 AM »
You know....in the official rules, mercs are allowed.

Heck, listening to you guys talk, if I use healer mages, I'm doing you a favor!!  So shouldn't be a problem.

That said.....Are mercs allowed?  And can I go full bore merc....4 zombies and 1600+ points of awesome?

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 02:49:12 PM »
Merc rules are one of the things I need to decide on.  On 1 hand Mercs make the game more interesting, on the other they mask the weakness of many factions.  My initial thought is that we allow Healers in all rounds and make one of the conditions in 1 of the rounds something where you can have access to more of them.  Still working through that.
-Rush, Prime Mover

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 12:41:23 AM »
on the other they mask the weakness of many factions.

Mercs should not be allowed in championship.  They completely change the dynamic of factions and their interactions.  Fine for fun games, have no place in competitive games. 

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 09:12:45 AM by NegativeZer0 »
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2017, 10:40:54 AM »
Mercs should not be allowed in championship.  They completely change the dynamic of factions and their interactions.
Let's assume this is completely true.  My rebuttal would be......So?

If it is the "Championship", and Mercs allow more options and require people to have more skill to play with and against them....wouldn't that be a good thing? 

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2017, 11:33:04 AM »
There's 2 sides to the argument.

The purist in me likes the idea of preserving the strengths and the weaknesses of the faction you choose to play.  It's no secret that the Umenzi are a faction I enjoy playing, but I know that I'm going to have trouble in terrain because I have no fast moving units.  That's the price I pay and I do it willingly.  Toss in Wildmen Horse Archers and suddenly I've just covered that weakness.  Umenzi also has no access to decent ranged units, but if I can take Wildmen Archers and Elementalists suddenly I can bring a viable stand and shoot army to the table where as such an option was never available to the Umenzi before.  That's nice, but it also waters down the faction, not to mention it takes a relatively strong faction and makes it even better.  Then you have a faction like Hawkshold where one of their strengths is their versatility.  If you allow wholesale access to Mercs, your opponent's faction can now share a strength of yours that they wouldn't have had access to.  Look at it this way - It's like being in a Star Fleet Battles tournament but every ship can replace most of their heavy weapons with option mounts.

The flip side is that yeah, adding Mercs gives more variety and both you and your opponent will have to anticipate more possabilities on the other side of the map. 

So this is a thing I need to work out because I want the games to be fun but I also want them to be balanced and it's hard as heck to balance things out once Mercs are introduced because certain factions benefit more from their presence than others.
-Rush, Prime Mover

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2017, 06:50:06 PM »
Mercs should not be allowed in championship.  They completely change the dynamic of factions and their interactions.
Let's assume this is completely true.  My rebuttal would be......So?

If it is the "Championship", and Mercs allow more options and require people to have more skill to play with and against them....wouldn't that be a good thing?

If you introduce too many options its stops being a strategic decision where your trying to out think and counter pick your opponent and turns into a completely random guessing game

Mercs fill in weaknesses for factions that were designed to have those weaknesses.  Ex:
 - Umenzi/Dwarves were designed to be slower armies.  Mercs completly turns that on ots head.

Mercs disproportionatly benefit certain armies Ex;
 - all elf factions that are normally 3/x heavy can now sudenly field a complete mix of 3/X or X/3 where this doesn’t benefit an army already X/3 heavy (wuxing/orcs/etc)

None of these thing are bad for fun play but when for a competative format you need to keep the factions pure.

Now to the point that including mercs introduces new and different challenges- yes.  And as a special condition for one round its a great curveball to throw at people.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 09:33:30 PM by NegativeZer0 »
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2017, 10:10:21 AM »
None of these thing are bad for fun play but when for a competative format you need to keep the factions pure.

Now to the point that including mercs introduces new and different challenges- yes.  And as a special condition for one round its a great curveball to throw at people.

Eric and I agree on something.  Which means one of us has to be wrong.

8)

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2017, 11:03:00 AM »
If I'm understanding you guys right, what you are saying is that Merc units provide something that stand alone faction doesn't have.

Well.....No f'n duh.  If they didn't provide a benefit, there would be zero point in having a merc unit.

If the worry is that Merc units aren't all encompassing enough, add a couple of Merc units.

Add a unit of Half-Elves, a somewhat generic elf unit, to provide a 3/2 defense unit with 6/5 attack stats. 
Add a unit of Exiled Dwarves, move 2.5, 2/3 defense stats.  5/6 attack.
Make them cost somewhat more than their counterparts, and you are good to go.

Otherwise....what you get is a weird RPS in which you did nothing to deserve it. 

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2017, 01:17:42 PM »
My suggestion is to have a round that Mercs can be used. (Like in the Power of Three Tournament)  Allow for some considerable points so the player can have a big nasty if they so choose.  I would be against having them be used in every round however, for the reasons stated above.

Where's this shade, that you got it made?

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2017, 02:23:40 PM »
Yeah, I've been leaning toward having one of the rounds being a potential merc-fest.  That said, anybody have any ideas for #6 which I'll reiterate below?  I ask this because I've got to get events submitted to the powers that be shortly.

6 - We may or may not run an official Battleground event Friday night, based upon popular demand.  I was considering running a blind big game event like we did at Council of 5 Nations this past September.  Or we could do something else.  Or we could just it easy.  Be vocal - TELL
-Rush, Prime Mover

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 11:14:15 AM »
LAST CALL FOR A POTENTIAL FRIDAY NIGHT EVENT

If there's no demand, we'll just leave Friday night free but if anybody wants something, I need to get the event in pronto.
-Rush, Prime Mover

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2017, 11:49:42 AM »
Yeah, can't make Friday.  But I can confirm that Blakely & I will be there for the main thing.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 03:32:04 PM »
LAST CALL FOR A POTENTIAL FRIDAY NIGHT EVENT

If there's no demand, we'll just leave Friday night free but if anybody wants something, I need to get the event in pronto.

Friday should be unofficial in my view. Unless space is a concern but we should alwas be able to find room somewhere.  esp since they moved locations.