Author Topic: Championship 2018 Feb 24-25 at Totalcon, Marlborough MA.  (Read 1260 times)

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
Re: Championship 2018 Feb 24-25 at Totalcon, Marlborough MA.
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2018, 12:04:18 PM »
My builds were very shooty right up to the very end.   I was lavishing my archers with spirit guidance like it was going out of style.  Most of my games were very close and all were enjoyable.

My opponents list went as follows:

Jaime: Alexander (win)  Long battle, came back at the end, had one of his units rout on his turn and I was able to pinch

Kevin: Wuxing (loss) Medium length battle, never really was in it.  Kevin out played me and out maneuvered me.  What else is new.

Eric: Dark Elves (win) Over very quickly, archery was good, engaged attacks were awesome(my bearskin against his Highbloods? (255 point unit) I was hitting like crazy with 2's and 5's)

Blakely: Dwarves (loss) Long drag out battle, For the most part Blakely was very careful with getting the match-ups she wanted, My treant engaged her antonians and routed.  It ran away and I forgot it was still routing and it got engaged again and went poof.....:)  Her long beards and her multiple spearmen were too much for my poor ravenwood swordsmen to deal with.

Semis: Blakely's dwarves (again, win) This time my treant did much better and I took three archers instead of two.  I delayed the poor matchups and used spirit guidance on my archers and did well with that.  There was a situation where my treant was going to get pinched near the edge of the map but it would take her two turns to make it happen.  I got lucky and routed off the first unit that engaged me.(dwarf axemen).  The special condition was my Treant having +1 MC and the ability to do at least one damage every attack(which helped kill the antonians)

Finals: Kevin's Wuxing (again, win)  I took the beef with NO ARCHERY(not like me).  My bearkin whooped his Jade Nobles (really shouldn't of happened, got lucky with my to damage rolls).  One of his Jades died(crumbled?) and the pinching was going to begin so he conceded.

I guess more explanations once some of the pictures come up.

Yay, Ravenwood........

Hey Tim....the Ravenpansies did it!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 03:00:38 PM by gornhorror »
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2018, 12:45:32 PM »
I had fun!  That's the positive I took from this tournament.

Game 1: I played Blakely and her dwarves.  Things were going great until two units in the center of my line decided the beer was better back home.  Once they left the quickly degenerated for me and the game ended when the survivors threw in the towel...

Game 2: I played Jaime and his Alexander force.  I lost...badly.

Game 3: I played Marcus.  I decided to be whacky and I took a Hydra.  Have you ever seen a really big dog afraid of a little cat?  That's how my Hydra reacted to some wolf riders...I lost...a lot.

After three games I left for home.  At least my new granddaughter doesn't hate me...yet...

Thanks for three fun games!
Evil will always triumph because good is dumb!

• Playtester
« Reply #32 on: February 26, 2018, 03:11:55 PM »
It was a good time.  Worth noting that only in one tournament, Championship 2015, did I go undefeated.  In 2014, 15, 17, and 18 I lost a game, it's just that in previous years that loss happened on a Saturday while this year it was on a Sunday.  My streak had gone on improbably long as is given the quality of the competition.  As Brook noted, my plan in the last game was to bust through Bearkin with Jade Nobles and once the opposite happened the Wuxing army was going to turn into pottery shards.

Favorite games were Saturday game 2 vs. Brook & Saturday game 3 vs. Blakely, as both of those featured "fearless" Wuxing constructs turning tail and running for their quasi-lives.  :) More on that once we get photos.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2018, 07:25:42 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2018, 06:00:52 PM »
While it's not my finest work, I do have a photo dump from this tournament that I posted under Session reports:,10706.0.html
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science