Author Topic: THE POWER OF THREE (Battleround tournament at Council of 5 Nations 2017)  (Read 3308 times)

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Re: THE POWER OF THREE (Battleround tournament at Council of 5 Nations 2017)
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2017, 09:19:13 AM »
I think I've got the maps covered.
"You can never break the chain - There is never love without pain
A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart
A healing hand, as secret touch on the heart"
-Rush, Secret Touch

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #46 on: October 10, 2017, 11:17:18 AM »
I remember only having two different armies.

1 was boring two elementalists stand and shoot.

1 was Ancient Red Dragon kills every Persian unit in the world, with a healer mage.

That about sums up all of my games, laugh.

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #47 on: October 10, 2017, 01:28:01 PM »
I have to say, kudos to Brook for putting this on.  I think that the "bring 3 lists" idea is something worth making more standard.  Maybe even have it be the default option for when YMG does official organized play rules.

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #48 on: October 10, 2017, 02:34:05 PM »
Potential default option or not, it was a nice change of pace.  For those who enjoy a "do your homework" approach, it gives you preparation to do before the event other than merely selecting your faction.  And aside from the first round where some players may still be getting their lists together, the rounds go more quickly because players are no longer trying to construct an army, merely selecting one of the 3 they already have.  The down side of course is that some players enjoy creating an army right there before the game begins.  Either way, I thought it was pretty fun even though I only used 2 of my 3 armies.  The 3rd one was crap anyways - LOL
-Rush, Secret Touch

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #49 on: October 26, 2017, 09:00:28 PM »
The build 3 armies does indeed work well for speeding things up.

That said the fact you can have 5,000 points of army with you in a box and that this then allows you to make whatever army you want on the spot is one of the strong/fun/whatever points of this game.  I always despised the fact with most miniatures games whatever army you wrote down was your army for the entire tournament - no changes.  Now granted 3 armies is an improvement on that but it still takes away from what I consider to be a massively important part of the game -building your army around: The terrain/scenario, the opposing faction and MOST importantly the person you're playing against.  Games can be won or lost in this phase of the game and it's an aspect of the game I don't want to see go away.

So while I enjoyed the change of pace I really don't want that to be the standard format.

« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 03:10:55 PM by NegativeZer0 »
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #50 on: October 26, 2017, 09:48:09 PM »
Yes, however one of the things Marcus said he was amazed by at Kublacon was that we played 3 rounds in like 6 hours.  Which to me sounds crazy that it should take longer than that.

If and when we have organized play, there will have to be strict time limits for tournaments.  Which includes calling time on players who take too long on their turns.  If you figure each player getting about 8 turns, you're talking an average seven-and-a-half minutes for each turn in a 2 hour game (which really should be the maximum for a round).  Now obviously the first few turns and the last few turns will speed by, but that difference will probably be made up by the longer turns in the middle.  If you have to do army building on top of that, you're talking 10-20 minutes of those 2 hours taken away.  Now you're down to ~6 minutes per turn.

I also like the army build aspect, but there's no denying that it lengthens the game.  And, again, there is just no good reason a round should go longer than 2 hours.

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #51 on: October 27, 2017, 03:09:04 PM »
We can't run tournaments out here in a timely manner because we are way too laid back on things like start time, end time, dinner break etc.

This is all fine with the current group we have because we like the more laid back approach. 

If we ever grew to the point where we needed a rigid start time for each round this would be an easy fix and wouldn't require eliminating an entire aspect of the game.

Breaking point / ticking clock should be the primary way we force games to end "on time".
« Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 07:17:16 AM by NegativeZer0 »
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #52 on: October 27, 2017, 03:42:22 PM »
We can't run tournaments out here in a timely manner because we are way too laid back on things like start time, end time, dinner break etc.

...Breaking point / ticking clock should be the primary way we force games to end "on time".
All true, though I'd like to crack the whip a bit more stringently in the future.  We managed to roll it along at a decent pace at Highlander in June and that was with people arriving on that day from long travel.  It gets out of hand at Council because we always have a couple of BG players that are also involved in the Star Fleet Battles tournament and we spent some time figuring out the availability for said players in upcoming rounds.  At something like Championship the players are 100% dedicated to the event and there will be no "can somebody see if Jack is almost done with his SFB game so he can play this round?" business.

I really liked the Power of 3 format and I'd like to continue using it in future events, but I do understand that selecting your units before each game is a separate skill set and part of the enjoyment of the game itself.  I'd like to preserve that if possible.

Circling back to Ticking Clock/Breaking Point, I'm thinking that we should use those in the preliminary rounds and save Total Warfare for the last game on Saturday and then for the finals game itself.  It also helps to have one of the early rounds be a 1500 point game.  Just thinking aloud waaaaaay ahead to Championship next February, but I can totally see a Saturday schedule like this working out:

Morning Game: 2000 points Ticking Clock, Terrain, no special condition
Lunch Break
Afternoon Game 1: 1500 points, Breaking Point, Terrain, no special condition
Afternoon Game 2: 2000 points, Ticking Clock, special condition, no terrain
Dinner
Evening Game: 2000 points, Total Warfare, Terrain, special condition, maybe even a simple package both players can bit over

I don't see why this couldn't be done and still have time after the evening game for players to horse around or do something else.  1 of the rounds could also use hidden deployment, which shaves a few minutes off of a game as well.  Don't freak out Eric, just ONE game  :P
-Rush, Secret Touch