Author Topic: My Games in the Power of Three Tournament at Council of 5 Nations 2017  (Read 371 times)

Kevin

• Administrator
Re: My Games in the Power of Three Tournament at Council of 5 Nations 2017
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 06:29:10 PM »
Interesting, and nice little report.  Did you get 200 bonus points for (presumably) having units in the M&M deployment zone, per Ticking Clock?  Those points are there to balance fighting stand-and-shoot armies in a scenario where the game ends before you can sweep them away.  (Not that Tim's victory isn't legit--you play the scenario you get and, assuming no points, kudos to Tim for spotting the opportunity!)

An Elementalist in the front line isn't a bad idea at all.  It has better fighting stats than your typical archer, so if an opponent is softened up enough it can win and by having it up front your line just got 1 wider.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 06:31:12 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #16 on: October 12, 2017, 08:17:22 AM »
The game against Marcus was incredibly close.  As soon as I saw ticking clock, I was like screw it, stand and shoot.  Since lightning bolt is unaffected by command cards, and hits at 7-7, it was a decent option against what I assumed would be a bunch of 1/3 defense dudes.  So, my elementalists were going to be trying to smoke the crap out of stuff, but obviously noone but the healer was doing jack else for the first 4 turns.

Until turn 4...when the pain would begin....
So, skipping the first 4 turns.  If anything, I rolled a little up, but nothing untoward.  (At no point did I go 4-4 with lightning bolts, and at no point did I score less than 2 hits) 

Here is how I remember the game going from then on.  (Remember, ND had already won at this point, and it was like 10pm, so I was like 20 beers in)  Oh, a sidenote....at no point did either me or Marcus ever try and add our points up during the game, but we did speculate who was winning.

When the lines first hit, I had a crap ton of cards.  (We started with 3 cards because of Brooks scenario.  Plus all the ones I drew while nailing him with lightning bolts)  I'm pretty sure I went with 1 ordered retreat, and one mettle.  No clue what what my other card was.  Marcus had a fistful as well, but he was really into giving units Chi, I remember that.

So, for turn 5, when the charge finally landed, we both were going to defend the bejesus out of our guys, and we did.  I remember he hosed the dragon roll pretty much.  I think the guardians when they hit did ok, but nothing earth shattering.

I think I remember turn 6 being ok for me.  I think the guardians caused two rout checks, and I passed them without losing spoils.  (I had spoils on basically everyone, and buy now had both ordered retreat cards....so was basically safe from routing.  Any time I broke a dude down, always seemed like it happened on my turn...next turn...he'd fix with Chi....and never miss out on dice.  At the end of turn6, I thought I had it in the bad, was clearly winning.

Turn7 not so much.  Like all my guys got hammered down.  Wasn't like they got blown off board, but they all were in yellow/red, except the elementalists, which I dont think ever even got marked.  Somehow my guy was still hanging in there on Dragon.

Going into turn8, I remember thinking I needed some classic Marcus on the boards rolls, where he'd be moping about it for weeks how badly he rolled.  So, when the dragon finally remembered he was a dragon and creamed my guy, that wasn't exactly what I had in mind.  However, my guy lived to the 2nd portion of the turn, so the dragon didn't get to feast any more.

Pretty sure I took out a guardian or two with Elementalist fire, but I think I lost 3 guys on turn 8.  I'm guessing somewhat but I think I had 2 pristine Elementalists, 1 pristine healer mage, and 2 swordsmen in red, and 1 swordmen in yellow.  So 792 for Marcus.

I think I had killed two guardians, one salvaged, had one guardian in swordsmen in red.  So like 827 for me.  I was actually quite surprised, because if I was a betting man, I would've bet I lost at this point.

Even a half of turn would've meant his dragon was now munching Elementalists, and my swordmens that were already on last legs were doomed. 

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #17 on: October 12, 2017, 08:18:44 AM »
And to answer Kevin's question, the answer was no to that.  There was never any bonus for any objectives anywhere for any match.

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2017, 12:09:11 PM »
Thanks, Tim, for filling in the details!  Tight game.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill