Author Topic: THE POWER OF THREE (Battleround tournament at Council of 5 Nations 2017)  (Read 3396 times)

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
Re: THE POWER OF THREE (Battleround tournament at Council of 5 Nations 2017)
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2017, 08:41:20 AM »
Yes, but the rules of any tournament are whatever the tournament organizer says they are, up to and including spontaneous combustion for Dark Elves and Goblin Bomb Chuckers firing chlorine gas.   ;D

The Goblin Bomb Chukker is back to it's most recent change (half the dice and a point of damage if it rolls doubles) so no chlorine gas.  8)  Dark Elves will hardly spontaneously combust with the changes I made.  They still will be an upper tier faction.  I could nerf them even further and they would still be strong.
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2017, 08:50:50 AM »
Also, it should be noted that Foresight can be used with the Carthage faction.  However, you can only do it up to twice for 25 points each each time.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 06:53:25 PM by gornhorror »

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #32 on: September 10, 2017, 09:38:37 AM »
Fair.  That really wasn't meant as a subtle dig at your rules.  I literally was just making up some shit.   :)
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2017, 10:56:46 PM »
I have changed the spear rules once again.  Please see tournament rule #2.  I also brought Blood frenzy back to it's original version. 

I'm going to chat with Marcus this friday about the ranged rules.  They might be changed too.  I wouldn't want to get anybodies knickers in a twist.....

My goal is to have fun and have as many players as possible.  So I will continue to change things as I see fit to those ends.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 07:45:21 AM by gornhorror »

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #34 on: September 13, 2017, 10:21:37 AM »
Wuxing-Rocket arrow battery does not suffer the -1 dice for firing outside range 7"

Just FYI, technically the RAB gets 2 bonus dice for firing within 7", which I suppose is equivalent to a 2-die (not a 1-die) penalty for firing at longer ranges.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

BubblePig

« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2017, 06:20:40 PM »
I have 2 questions:

Is the new Hawkshold faction in development a valid faction for this tournament?
If not, how exactly does that skirmisher rule work (i.e. does that mean Thanvabara #5 and up cost 102 points apiece? or is it something different?)

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2017, 07:24:45 PM »
I have 2 questions:

Is the new Hawkshold faction in development a valid faction for this tournament?
If not, how exactly does that skirmisher rule work (i.e. does that mean Thanvabara #5 and up cost 102 points apiece? or is it something different?)

Ron, I'm not sure how the two questions are related, but I'll try to answer your question.

The new Hawkshold faction is valid for my tournament.  It says so in the list of Faction changes.  Yes, any skirmisher beyond the 4th, you pay one and a half times the cost.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 08:36:02 PM by gornhorror »

BubblePig

« Reply #37 on: September 13, 2017, 07:45:42 PM »
The relationship is that I am starting to build my armies and I wanted a backup faction if the answer was no to the first question. I probably wasn't going to pay over 100 points for a Thanvabara but I wanted to clarify just in case. I have to say you saved everybody at the tournament from some vicious Thanva-spam.

Actually, I am thinking about unleashing something similar anyway.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 08:12:35 PM by BubblePig »

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2017, 08:27:50 PM »
The relationship is that I am starting to build my armies and I wanted a backup faction if the answer was no to the first question. I probably wasn't going to pay over 100 points for a Thanvabara but I wanted to clarify just in case. I have to say you saved everybody at the tournament from some vicious Thanva-spam.

Actually, I am thinking about unleashing something similar anyway.

Scout-a-ramma? 

BubblePig

« Reply #39 on: September 13, 2017, 08:44:17 PM »
It is the Power of Three so in lieu of Thanva-spam I am thinking of:
Elephants and Chariots, The Beef, and my fav... Raining Hell

Haven't actually banged out the Hawk armies yet...

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #40 on: September 15, 2017, 12:20:15 PM »
I have to say you saved everybody at the tournament from some vicious Thanva-spam.

This was exactly the reason I made the rule.  I really think the value of skirmishers goes up the more you take.  Your 21 ranged shots at turn for 476 points at the last tournament convinced me of this. 
« Last Edit: September 15, 2017, 02:58:01 PM by gornhorror »

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #41 on: September 20, 2017, 03:35:21 PM »
Wuxing-Rocket arrow battery does not suffer the -1 dice for firing outside range 7"

Just FYI, technically the RAB gets 2 bonus dice for firing within 7", which I suppose is equivalent to a 2-die (not a 1-die) penalty for firing at longer ranges.

Not sure if you saw it in the faction modification section, but I'm going to say, that for purposes of the tournament, the RAB will not suffer the -1 dice for firing outside range 7"  It doesn't suffer the range modifiers in the current ranged rules, so IMO, it shouldn't suffer the -1 die range penalty in my ranged rules.  Although, the deferring to the closest unit range 7" or closer still applies.  Also, just in case you are wondering, the +2 dice will still apply.

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #42 on: September 20, 2017, 09:54:02 PM »
The -1 die penalty you refer to quite literally does not exist.  Please take another look at the card.

I understand Kevin (I think)

I am referring to the -1 die for firing outside range 7" in my range rules for the tournament.  The RAB is exempt from this rule because with the current official ranged rules it doesn't suffer a ranged penalty.  I wanted to simulate this within the scope of my rule set best way I could.   
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 09:56:06 PM by gornhorror »

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #43 on: September 20, 2017, 09:57:04 PM »
Ah.  Got it.  Missed that the die penalty was from a house rule.  Carry on.

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #44 on: September 27, 2017, 09:21:44 PM »
Just a reminder for people to bring maps and terrain if they have it.  I have three maps and Marcus also has a few.  I have a mish mosh of terrain, but not a full pack.  So if you have these things I would really appreciate it if you could bring them to the tournament.

Also, I do have modest prizes for 1st, 2nd and 3rd place.  So at least you are fighting for something other than glory. :)