Author Topic: THE POWER OF THREE (Battleround tournament at Council of 5 Nations 2017)  (Read 1286 times)

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Re: THE POWER OF THREE (Battleround tournament at Council of 5 Nations 2017)
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2017, 07:04:29 PM »
I am confused.

All games are 2000 points per side... 
First Game is @ 10:30am (Breaking point @ 1500 points, terrain)...
 2nd Game is @ 2:00pm (Breaking point @ 1500 points, terrain)

The first person to destroy 1500 points worth of units of the opponents force wins...

Breaking point is normally 1200 points, hence Ron's confusion.  Maybe you should just roll with the classic 1200 points to avoid confusion?

Also, any special tourney rules for Wuxing or do they stand pat?
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #16 on: September 04, 2017, 11:11:25 PM »
I am confused.

All games are 2000 points per side... 
First Game is @ 10:30am (Breaking point @ 1500 points, terrain)...
 2nd Game is @ 2:00pm (Breaking point @ 1500 points, terrain)

The first person to destroy 1500 points worth of units of the opponents force wins...

Breaking point is normally 1200 points, hence Ron's confusion.  Maybe you should just roll with the classic 1200 points to avoid confusion?

Also, any special tourney rules for Wuxing or do they stand pat?

Sorry, I fixed the list.  No changes to Wuxing.

I thought Ron was confused about me posting 2000 point armies and then listing the breaking point rounds @1500.  What I meant when I posted them was I meant the 2000 point armies break at 1500 points.  Not the usual 1200 points.
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:09:29 AM by gornhorror »
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #17 on: September 05, 2017, 04:26:30 PM »
Ok....few thoughts.

1)  No idea why people hate mercs, but whatever.   
2)  The problem with the flying rules, is that now units that can fly basically suck.  So, it is highly likely noone will take a flying unit, because, they suck.  I'll get to more of this in a second.  Now, that I think about it, will just post in the flying rules thread.
3)  I don't actually like the 900 point change that now includes mercs for last round, goes against the whole power of three thing.
4)  Not sure what Marcus was getting at with the Wuxing.

« Last Edit: September 06, 2017, 12:34:12 AM by gornhorror »

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 06:42:10 PM »
May I ask why you are not using the proposed Ranged Rules? Wouldn't this be a good venue to playtest them?

I agree.  I wish that these types of tournament would minimize the house rules, other than testing out rules in consideration for being incorporated into the next edition of the rules.

Oh well.

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #19 on: September 06, 2017, 12:34:27 AM »
Ok....few thoughts.

1)  No idea why people hate mercs, but whatever.   
2)  The problem with the flying rules, is that now units that can fly basically suck.  So, it is highly likely noone will take a flying unit, because, they suck.  I'll get to more of this in a second.  Now, that I think about it, will just post in the flying rules thread.
3)  I don't actually like the 900 point change that now includes mercs for last round, goes against the whole power of three thing.

Tim,

I don't hate the Mercs.  I've played with them quite a bit.  I threw in a round (round 4) where you could take almost half of your army and make them mercs, even take a ancient red (hence the 900 points) if you wanted to. 

How does the 900 point swap option go against the power of three theme.  You still have to choose from one of your three base armies in that round.  Also, you don't have to use all 900 points, so if you want a couple of healer mages and a few other merc units you can have them too.

Give it a chance before you poo-poo it.

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2017, 12:49:25 AM »
May I ask why you are not using the proposed Ranged Rules? Wouldn't this be a good venue to playtest them?

I agree.  I wish that these types of tournament would minimize the house rules, other than testing out rules in consideration for being incorporated into the next edition of the rules.

Oh well.

Sorry Corey,  since I'm running this tourney I'm going to do a few things the way I think best.   I'm totally willing to give the ammo rule another run at Total-Con if whoever runs that tourney want's to use it.  Like I said before, it may end up being the best most balanced version for the game, but at this particular time it doesn't have my vote.  I have played with it, maybe not as much as you, but it's just seems too tedious for me.

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2017, 09:18:18 AM »
The only reason I wish the ammo rules had gotten a playtest is because the main complaint is that the mechanic feels a little fiddly to track it (and remembering to shoot every turn).  But that is something that we've found goes away once you play several times.  And since most of our people play like 3-4 events a year, this would have been an opportunity to get in some of those games to get over that adjustment period.

But like I said:  oh well.   ;D   Not my event.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2017, 08:53:56 AM »

Brook listed all of the factions except for Wuxing in his faction specific rules so I was just making sure nothing changed.
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #23 on: September 07, 2017, 11:47:30 AM »

Brook listed all of the factions except for Wuxing in his faction specific rules so I was just making sure nothing changed.

Wuxing is now listed.

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2017, 02:49:46 PM »
In light of the discussion about the flying rules if anybody wants to use the ancient red dragon in their base army(if they choose M&M as their faction) or if they want to choose the ancient red dragon in the 4th round(see round listing)  The ancient red dragon will count as 2 core units.  The regular red dragon will count as one core unit. 

In the case of the Ancient red dragon the Dragon keyword stands for being Unique so you can have only one in any army.  The regular red dragon is considered Elite.  So only one per 1000 points.

I'm going to review all the flying rules with Marcus this Friday.  I will post the parameters for flying units for the tournament to follow.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2017, 02:53:54 PM by gornhorror »

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #25 on: September 08, 2017, 09:55:27 PM »
I'm going to review all the flying rules with Marcus this Friday.  I will post the parameters for flying units for the tournament to follow.

Considering the new flying rules will be official and printed in the next rule book and have not been used in an actual tournament they should be used in this event as is. 

« Last Edit: September 08, 2017, 10:20:30 PM by NegativeZer0 »
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2017, 10:16:34 AM »

Considering the new flying rules will be official and printed in the next rule book and have not been used in an actual tournament they should be used in this event as is.

Yes the flying rules will be used as is for landing, taking off, final rushing etc.  No changes there. Good job with all your hard work in that regard.   I'm still thinking about allowing swoop attacks, however.  They will be my rules of course, if they are added. 
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 10:22:21 AM by gornhorror »

Fingolfin

• Playtester
  • A Elbereth Gilthoniel!
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2017, 10:30:48 AM »
Swooping attacks are in the official rules.  ???
'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!'

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2017, 06:57:10 PM »
Yes, but the rules of any tournament are whatever the tournament organizer says they are, up to and including spontaneous combustion for Dark Elves and Goblin Bomb Chuckers firing chlorine gas.   ;D
« Last Edit: September 09, 2017, 11:31:19 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2017, 07:03:57 PM »
Yes, but the rules of any tournament are whatever the tournament organizes says they are, up to and including spontaneous combustion for Dark Elves and Goblin Bomb Chuckers firing chlorine gas.   ;D

I understand this.  It was a suggestion not a demand.

I simply believe we should run them as is (flying rules) at least once in an official event before we decide they need to be fixed in some way.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2017, 06:17:46 AM by NegativeZer0 »
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!