Author Topic: THE POWER OF THREE (Battleround tournament at Council of 5 Nations 2017)  (Read 5336 times)

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
THE POWER OF THREE, that is the theme for the tournament that I'm running at Council.  (as Mark mentioned)

I will post all the specifics of the rules later this week.  However, here's something to get the juices flowing.

The big change when compared to other tournaments is that you will be required to make three 2000 point armies from your chosen faction and those will be the ONLY armies you choose from the entire tournament.

Please have these armies ready to go to be checked one half hour before the start of the first round of play, which I think will be 10:00am on Saturday.  I want to keep things going smoothly. 

More to come.
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

GoIndy

• Playtester
That IS interesting. 

BubblePig

Do they have to be pure, or are mercs allowed?

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
Do they have to be pure, or are mercs allowed?

I'm going to post the rest of the rules sometime tomorrow.

But to answer your question, you can play the Monsters and Mercs faction, but no mixing of the factions in your base armies.  There is a round where I'm going to allow use of Mercenaries, however.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:12:04 AM by gornhorror »

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Re: THE POWER OF THREE (Battleround tournament at Council of 5 Nations 2017)
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2017, 09:49:49 AM »
Tim will ban the event if he can't have Healer Mages - LOL
"Chase the Sun around the World I want to look at life
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2017, 10:09:58 AM »
Healer mage riding a dragon.

Speaking of which....mention what flying rules we are using as well.

NegativeZer0

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2017, 11:27:44 AM »
We should be using the new rules for flying that way if something broken was missed/overlooked:
A - You can all yell at me
B - We can fix them
« Last Edit: September 01, 2017, 11:31:06 AM by NegativeZer0 »
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

Fingolfin

• Playtester
  • A Elbereth Gilthoniel!
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 12:17:43 PM »
Will you be using the proposed Ranged Rules? I ask out of curiosity, and because I would love to see the battle reports.
'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!'

Steel for humans, silver for monsters, gold for the witcher.

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 03:36:52 PM »
We will be using the new flying rules as per Eric stated.

The ranged rules will be posted tonight. 

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 11:12:04 AM »
The Power of Three Tournament schedule

Saturday/4 rounds
(Please be there no later than 10am so I can check all armies and we can start at 10:30am)

Armies are chosen from bank of three pre-made 2000 point armies.

On Saturday, after the first game, winners and losers get will be able to choose 3 command cards from their command decks for use in next game.  Winners draw two cards specifically and one card randomly.  Losers will draw one card specifically and two cards randomly.

First Game is @ 10:30am (Breaking point occurs at 1500 points, terrain)

LUNCH BREAK is @ 1:00pm

2nd Game is @ 2:00pm (Breaking point occurs at 1500 points, terrain,***)

3rd Game is @ 4:30 pm (Ticking clock, terrain, one special condition(chosen from bank of three cards and vetoes work like usual), ***)

DINNER is @ 7:00pm

4th Game is @ 8:00pm (Total warfare, terrain, you may swap up to 900 points of one of your three armies and use Mercenary Units, If Monsters and Mercs is your army choice then you may chose another faction for mercenary units. Core units in your "swap" army count towards your overall core.  Army abilities may be used. Faction specific command cards can only be played on their own faction.

(*** Special circumstance, announced before match, once opponent is decided and once base army is chosen)

Sunday/Semi-finals/Finals

Top 4 players are in the finals rounds

Semi-finals game 9:30am (Ticking clock, terrain, special situation(something with dice  ;D)

Finals (to follow right after both Semis are complete) Total warfare, terrain.

The POWER OF THREE tournament will have the following rules.

1- You can have a maximum of 4 skirmisher units in any one army at the normal cost.  If you take more than 4, you will pay 1 1/2 times the cost for each skirmisher unit beyond the 4th.

2-Spear units that are moving that are on hold with an objective only get +1 offensive power.  If they are on a true hold and not moving they get the +2 power.  No other changes.

3- Ranged rules will be as follows:  A) Move and shoot at max speed suffers a (0) -1/-0, no penalty if moving at -1MC or slower
                                                   B) Any firing outside range 7" is at a (-1) 0/0
                                                   C) No bonus to firing at large/colossal units.
                                                   D) Zone of Imminence--Ranged units default to fire on the closest unit at the beginning of every M&C phase to any units that are 7" or closer. This happens even if the unit has a specific target modifier.   You may change the target during the movement and command phase by taking direct control of your ranged unit for one command action. If there are no units within 7" then the unit will default back to it's ranged objective if it had one previously.  If it never had one then it will default to the closest enemy unit within range.                                                   

Faction specific changes are as follows:

Ravenwood Elves-Aspect of wolverine, plays as usual with granting +2 dice and no red command card play but makes unit fearless for turn. Aspect of Fox, plays as usual but also negates one impact hit.

Men of Hawkshold-You can play faction with the new changes if you wish.  (The newest incarnation with different core and changed command cards) However you must make the decision of which version of Hawkshold you want before the first game and keep it for the entire tournament.

High Elves- Precision does not count as a command card, Oathbound is changed for the tournament.  You may cast it after movement to have up to two units automatically pass a pre-combat courage/rout check or use it as a +1 courage re-roll for one unit after all courage checks are made.

Umenzi-Faith armor does not trigger unless more than 1 damage is done.

Monsters and Mercs-If you have an un-engaged Elementalist in play, on your turn before movement, you can use a command action and give the Earth Elemental a close objective or take direct control for the turn. Also, before any of your attacks are made, you may elect NOT to perform a ranged attack with the Elementalist to take away the pitch to play from the Earth Elemental for red card play  The Hill Giant ranged attack can be used for two command actions.  This is considered a direct control and all other ranged rules apply. 

Dark Elves- Slave warriors are NOT considered core for this tournament. They are considered standard units.  Fearsome line units in this army(Standard Bearers, Highblood Duskblades Blade Dancers, Highblood Blades) are considered to have the keyword "Scary".  If the opposing unit fails a fear check they suffer a (-2) 0/0 instead of the (-1) -1/-1.  If any of these units go up against anything that is fearsome they roll a fear check, and suffer the same (-2) 0/0 penalty if they fail it.  If they go up against something that is Terrifying they roll a fear check as normal and suffer the (-1) -1/-1 if they fail.

Wuxing-Rocket arrow battery does not suffer the -1 dice for firing outside range 7"

Carthage- Foresight will be allowed at the cost of 25 points each.

Orcs- No changes (current official errata apply)

Dwarves- No changes (current official errata apply)

Undead-No changes (current official errata apply)

Lizardmen-No changes (current official errata apply)

Rome- No changes (current official errata apply)

Alexander- No changes (current official errata apply, if any)

Persia- No changes (current official errata apply, if any)

Additional rules:

Ticking Clock Scenario Rules/Clarifications:
-Any flying unit which was not previously engaged and is airborne as of the end of that player’s fifth turn may not land for the rest of the game.

- Routing units do not count as being on terrain (or in deployment zones).  Disrupted units do.

Selecting Terrain
-Randomly choose two sets of 3 pieces of terrain.  Players then agree on which set of terrain they want to choose from.  If they can not agree, then a roll of the die will decide.  Then each player makes 1 veto and players play with the un-vetoed terrain.  High roller vetoes first.

Final Rushes
-We are using the 3.1 rules.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2017, 11:13:41 AM by gornhorror »

BubblePig

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2017, 12:44:11 PM »
I am confused.

All games are 2000 points per side... 
First Game is @ 10:30am (Breaking point @ 1500 points, terrain)...
 2nd Game is @ 2:00pm (Breaking point @ 1500 points, terrain)

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2017, 04:17:34 PM »
I am confused.

All games are 2000 points per side... 
First Game is @ 10:30am (Breaking point @ 1500 points, terrain)...
 2nd Game is @ 2:00pm (Breaking point @ 1500 points, terrain)

The first person to destroy 1500 points worth of units of the opponents force wins...
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 04:23:14 PM by gornhorror »

BubblePig

« Reply #12 on: September 02, 2017, 08:36:20 PM »
oh  :-[

Fingolfin

• Playtester
  • A Elbereth Gilthoniel!
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2017, 01:14:49 PM »
May I ask why you are not using the proposed Ranged Rules? Wouldn't this be a good venue to playtest them?
'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!'

Steel for humans, silver for monsters, gold for the witcher.

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2017, 02:30:02 PM »
To be honest, the proposed ranged rules are not my first choice as a solution.  Perhaps they will be what people think is best when all is said and done.  Currently, I'm still a fan of firing every other turn and since this is a tournament that I'm running, (with some help from Marcus) I would like to try something else.

« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 12:07:53 AM by gornhorror »