Author Topic: Charting Playtests: help appreciated  (Read 1922 times)

Hannibal

• Administrator
Charting Playtests: help appreciated
« on: August 22, 2012, 09:25:32 AM »
I'm planning out the playtests with the Classical Greeks, and I could use some advice.  I'm planning on doing a World Tour, but also I want to think about playtesting these guys as Mercs.  Any thoughts from folks?  (Especially any advice from when M&M was done would be greatly appreciated!)

I'm wondering, should we just brainstorm a list of possible combinations for every faction and playtest ones that might be a problem?

BubblePig

Re: Charting Playtests: help appreciated
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2012, 11:06:16 AM »
I would be happy to try and think of the most broken merc combos and see how they shake out.

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2012, 11:32:55 AM »
Eeeeeexcellent.  Let the chedder-fest begin...   ;D

(Seriously, broken combos to try out are really needed.)

A couple off the top of my head:

Umenzi & Rhodian Slinger spam vs any Def 2/X army.

Hawkshold stand & shoot with 4 Rhodian Slingers.

Umenzi with cavalry (doesn't strike me as immediately broken, but worth checking out)

Zombies plus stacked phalanxes (Thebans behind Spartiates?)

Orcs or Lizardmen with Athenian Hoplites? (provides a solid 200 pt unit for them)

High Elves with Disguised Rowers?

Mexico

• Playtester
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2012, 08:03:41 PM »
Disguised Rowers are enough of a weirdo unit that they may be unbalanced as mercenaries.  But they are still awesome as a bonus unit for their own faction.

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2012, 09:10:57 AM »
Now there's an idea.  If the Rowers (I'm thinking of renaming them something like Fake Hoplites) are too wonky, then we can make them a faction-specific unit.  Nice idea Jaime!

Mexico

• Playtester
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2012, 09:23:23 AM »
Actually, I really like the Disguised Rowers name, and I think you should keep it! The flavor text can explain what it means.

iamJMAN00793

• Playtester
  • This is Sparta!
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2012, 10:35:18 PM »
I agree, Disguised Rowers is a good name. Making them unable to be used as mercenaries is not really a necessity. They can only disguise themselves as Greek units anyway, right?
Every man dies. Not every man really lives. ~ Braveheart

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 10:00:00 AM »
With Alexander vs Persia winding down, I'm moving on to the next project(s), including this one.

I'm thinking to do due diligence, the design process for this faction will actually be somewhat long, because I'll need to due the World Tour of Greeks vs the world and a World Tour of other factions using Greek Mercenaries.  Of course, some factions won't have much use for Greek Mercs.

Any suggestions for combos from folks? 

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2013, 10:47:49 AM »
With Vlachold's primary playtesting done, we're deciding to take a small breather from playtesting it and I'm using that as an opportunity to take the Greek Mercs out for a spin.

My question comes back to this:  does this faction need a World Tour and a game where every faction takes them as mercs?  It seems to me that the meta of BGFW is that mercenaries tend not to be used but rather the M&M faction is used mostly as a stand alone.  Still, it seems in a perfect world I should test both (which is a lot of games). 

I wonder if I should go for some compromise where the Greeks are tested with following format:

Likely Candidates:  factions that are likely to use the Greeks as mercs (for example, I'm not sure Dwarves would use them).
+
Historical opponents:  facing the 4 historical factions, because that's what the allure will be to historical players.
+
Themed opponents:  instead of playing against every faction make sure they Greeks face one enemy of each theme (a high skill faction, a high toughness faction, a grindy/high courage faction, a swarm faction, etc.).

Thoughts?