Author Topic: Lizardmen - Dwarves 2000 Terrain, Total Warfare  (Read 402 times)

Kevin

• Administrator
Lizardmen - Dwarves 2000 Terrain, Total Warfare
« on: July 13, 2017, 06:14:48 PM »
Blakely and I were back at it yesterday, as she returned to her first and only true love--Dwarves!  I spotted her the usual 100 points and we went at it. 

One embarrassment:  I brought my terrain, put it down on a different table, thought I'd forgotten it and made cheapass terrain from a piece of scrap paper.  Suffice it to say the big white thing in the middle is a 2-level hill.

Early Moves

Dwarves, left to right:  Battleaxemen, Crossbowmen, Longbeards, Battleaxemen, Militia, Crossbowmen behind Militia.

A solid Dwarf line, with Longbeards ready to take the hill, and Crossbowmen ready to punish my units for doing anything other than wading into combat.

Lizardmen, left-to-right:  Trog Spearmen, Raptor Pack, Tyrant Warriors, Tyrant Spearmen, Tyrant Warriors, Raptor Pack (initially deployed behind the adjacent Tyrants). 

100 points down vs. grindy dwarves I wanted to keep the front narrow.  Had I known she wasn't taking Antonians I'd have upgraded the Raptors on the hill to Ancients and dropped the Trogs to Swarmlings.  But not knowing that I was terrified to go with Swarmlings for fear of watching Antonians roll my entire line.

Armies move toward each others, with Blakely cleverly sprinting the Longbeards to get then in my face sooner.

Command Actions Galore!

Blakely spent 4(!) command Actions on direct controls and order changes, holding back her Longbeards who would be pinched if engaged, and holding back other units from my heavier reptiles.

I then responded with 3 CAs of my own--ordering the Trogs to run for their lives, and moving both the Raptors and the Tyrants to outside the Longbeards' Final Rush range.  I did get an engagement on the far right, with the Raptor Pack doing an anemic 1 damage to Militia (who did nothing back).

Mutual Sadness!

Left to right:

Blakely, realizing that she has way more force on the left than she'll ever need, orders Spearmen to go help on the other side--we discussed afterward that she should've done this at the very beginning of the game.  Other units on that side keep moving forward, the Crossbowmen putting a bit of hurt on Trogs (Lame dice and the move-and-shoot penalty kept the damage minimal.)

I'm sad as the Longbeards, moving at my Raptors on auto-pilot, are like 3.49" away from my engaged Tyrants' flank!  Had they been 3.51' away I could've skated that entire side away clean!  But instead I have to sacrifice my raptors to buy time.

Blakely is sad when her Battleaxemen blow a rout check and pop.  I can't remember if they failed rout check #2 or if my Tyrants just did a ton of damage.

Tyrants underperform vs. Militia.

Blakely is sad when Militia on the far right blow a rout check (needing a 14!) and run for it, with 1 yellow box remaining.  Rather than auto-kill, I order the Raptor Pack to pinch the Crossbowmen, who hold up amazingly well all things considered!

Cleaning Up

On the left, Dwarf units continue to pursue.  My Trogs slide over to the right to form an anticipated second line.  Crossbow shots are getting annoying.

Longbeards one-shot my Raptor Pack, then turn around, and are about to pinch my Tyrants who have been pinned in place by her Spearmen (who had marched over from the other side).

Tyrants finally finish off the Militia, while in a double-helping-of-sadness, Blakely spends 2 CAs to get her wounded Militia to flank my Raptor Pack.  The Militia do zero damage, rout and die.

Mutual Mistakes

(top)  Tyrant Spearmen get on the flank of the Dwarf Spearmen.  The Dwarves hold on for an amazingly long time all things considered, but inevitably were polished off, putting on 2 points of spite damage on their last turn.

(middle/bottom).  I think I'm being so clever, positioning my Raptor Pack to go in and pinch any unit that attacks one of mine.  However, I fail to check the angle!  Crossbowmen dirsupt my Trogs with a long-overdue good shot, and engage.  My Raptors indeed can pinch, but instead of the flank they'd hit the rear, where they'd immediately get goosed by fresh Battleaxemen!  Not a trade I care to make, so my Raptors sit there, watching the poor sad Trogs get cut to pieces.   :(

But Blakely makes a mistake of her own--rather then keep them on the hill, she greedily sends her Longbeards into my wounded Tyrants--on a turn that her Spearmen had one red box remaining.  A mettle cards prevents much hurt on the Tyrants, and the Dwarf Spearmen are predictably finished off.   So now I mark Fury, draw cards, and my Tyrants viciously pinch the Longbeards, doing something like 9 damage on that first turn and the rest on the next.

----------------

White Flag

Blakely and I talked about it, and she decided to concede.  Had it been a tournament game she'd have played on, as she had better than a 0% chance of winning.  But once my Trogs were gone it would be 3-on-2 and she'd have no real response to my speedy raptors, so the mostly likely outcome was a long endgame and a narrow Lizardmen victory. 

Great game, Blakely!  Solidly played, and I barely eked out a win despite her getting 2 unlucky routs early on.

Heroes of the game:

Dwarves:  Could've been the Longbeards, until they threw their lives away in the end.  i'll give it to the Crossbowmen who would kill my Trogs without taking a single point of damage in return.

Lizardmen:  The Tyrant Spearmen.  They got off to a slow start vs. the Dwarven Militia, but once that was over they flanked and killed almost-pristine Dwarf Spearmen, then pinched Longbeards out of existence.

Goat of the game:  The Militia on the far-right, who muffed a rout check despite support, then burned up 2 command actions to accomplish precisely nothing besides routing a second time.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2017, 09:04:37 AM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

BubblePig

• Shoeless God of War
  • Playtester
  • Y'all are just hating on my steez.
Re: Lizardmen - Dwarves 2000 Terrain
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2017, 07:12:10 PM »
nice batrep  :)
Are those Dwarven Rune dice?
Also, was it the terrain which made you decide to go 6 wide?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 07:14:49 PM by BubblePig »

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2017, 08:06:19 PM »
They're Elven rune dice, which I won at Dexcon the year I obliterated everything with the 5-die-charge Elder Blade Battlesquads.  :)

6-wde would've worked better if Dwarves didn't ignore hills.  The real reason I went so narrow is that I was down 100 points and Dwarves punch above their weight, so I figured a wider line of Trogs would get owned.  The hope was that Dwarven slowness would let me crush one flank of her army before having to deal with the other, and it kinda worked...barely.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 09:10:07 AM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

sullivus

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2017, 10:01:26 AM »
I basically cursed myself on those route checks.  I needed a 14 to pass so I started thinking about how great it was that with Dwarves you know you're almost guaranteed to pass a route check and then, of course, I failed.  :(

Had I known that Kevin was going to take six units I would have traded in two of the cards for a second Longbeard.  But, of course, you can't gamble on that.

I also wish I'd pulled my left flank back a bit more, that may have made some difference.  It turned into a surprisingly interesting game given that I was contemplating conceding fairly early on after my two poorly-timed routes led to death, early pinches, and apparent doom.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2017, 10:04:55 AM by sullivus »

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2017, 11:17:48 AM »
Great report as usual Kevin.

AND IT'S ABOUT DAMNED TIME WE SAW YOU ON THE FORUMS BLAKELY, WELCOME!!!!

Yeah, that Militia unit on the right (Blakely's left) was gruesome.  And it's hard to blame them since they're so cheap, but we're spoiled by their expected performance for the points so that when they poop the bed it can be a disaster.

It's funny how Kevin chose 2 Raptors out of fear of a medium cavalry unit  :P  On the surface it would seem prudent to question Kevin's decision to use Tyrant Spearmen.  Over time that extra die at 5/6 really adds up when you consider the grindfest you could find yourself in when facing Dwarves or even Hawkshold.  Well chosen.
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science

BubblePig

• Shoeless God of War
  • Playtester
  • Y'all are just hating on my steez.
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2017, 11:53:06 AM »
They're Elven rune dice, which I won at Dexcon the year I obliterated everything with the 5-die-charge Elder Blade Battlesquads.  :)
Hee hee. Yeah, I still maintain that if +2 dice charge was flat
You could take an army of nothing but Elder Blade Battlesquads and win more often than not.
There is no other unit in the game of which that could be said.
My feeling after reading your report more thoroughly is that EBBS (with +2 dice on the charge) are probably at least a little bit broken. I wonder what other similar cost unit is good enough to compose a competitive army entirely of that unit?

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2017, 03:32:23 PM »
I basically cursed myself on those route checks.  I needed a 14 to pass so I started thinking about how great it was that with Dwarves you know you're almost guaranteed to pass a route check and then, of course, I failed.  :(

Had I known that Kevin was going to take six units I would have traded in two of the cards for a second Longbeard.  But, of course, you can't gamble on that.

I also wish I'd pulled my left flank back a bit more, that may have made some difference.  It turned into a surprisingly interesting game given that I was contemplating conceding fairly early on after my two poorly-timed routes led to death, early pinches, and apparent doom.

Don't take it personally but, I like it when Dwarves fail rout checks.....It makes my day.....

but yeah, good to see you on the boards...
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2017, 04:13:37 PM »
Nice game!  And welcome to the forum, Blakely!

6-wde would've worked better if Dwarves didn't ignore hills. 

True, but at the same time Dwarves going over the hill move at the same speed as anyone else, so that 6-Wide build with a large terrain piece like that isn't a terrible plan.

It warms my heart to see the narrow line builds win...

I also wish I'd pulled my left flank back a bit more, that may have made some difference. 

You know, I was thinking exactly that.  S-curve your line where the guys on the left get an objective behind them to give the right flank time to come around.  It's hard to pull off and it'll likely cost you CAs early.

Hee hee. Yeah, I still maintain that if +2 dice charge was flat
You could take an army of nothing but Elder Blade Battlesquads and win more often than not.
There is no other unit in the game of which that could be said.

I'm still not entirely convinced that it's unbalanced because of how fragile & pricey those EB Battle Squads are.  I usually leave those in the box because the points they spend on Pow works against their purpose of delaying (same with Off Skill, but you don't really get a say in that if you want the Cge 13 and D:3/2).  Scott has been taking them a bit lately and I see how they can semi-grind out a win against that 200pt unit, but I'm not sure they do it quick enough to be worth it over concentrating the points in a couple of units.

Still, I think we made the right call to be cautious there, because Maneuver Mastery & Sprint is what drags High Elves to the top of the power curve IMO.  And 9 EB Battle Squads maximizes the use of that situational mobility.

sullivus

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2017, 02:30:28 PM »
Thanks for the welcomes!  Now I have to figure out what real names match the forum names....

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 03:24:06 PM »
RushAss = Marcus
gornhorror = Brook
BubblePig = Ron
Hannibal = Corey
NegeativeZer0 = Eric
Dave-SWA = Dave Cheng
IndyIrish = Tim
Kevin = ....sorry, I forget....
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"