Author Topic: Miserly Builds  (Read 1289 times)

BubblePig

Miserly Builds
« on: July 11, 2017, 11:22:01 AM »
I was just playing around trying to figure out some Alexander builds and came up with 1 Hypaspistes, 2 Foot Companions, 2 Sarissophoroi, 2 Cretan Archers, 1 Iphicratean Spearmen, a merc contingent of 2 Half Orc Swords, and 2 Heroes for exactly 2000 points. Can you remember the last time you were building an army and you eked every single point out of the build?

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Re: Miserly Builds
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 04:05:46 PM »
Brook and I have done it on separate occasions with Ravenwood, I think.  Nobody was trying to do it, it just worked out that way.  Last time was at least a year ago, probably two.
"You can never break the chain - There is never love without pain
A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart
A healing hand, as secret touch on the heart"
-Rush, Secret Touch

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2017, 06:02:39 PM »
I recall designing a few 2000-point High Elf builds in my first year playing the game, before realizing that the key to winning is to beat the tar out of the opposing army given the terrain and conditions as opposed to not "wasting" points.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2017, 10:54:47 PM »
I've built several 2001 point armies, do those count?  :'(
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

BubblePig

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2017, 05:28:05 PM »
I've built several 2001 point armies, do those count?  :'(
That is a different, but altogether worthwhile topic.  :P

I believe my first several 2001 point armies were Orcs. I never crunched the numbers but I suspect that in terms of being able to stay under 2000, units that cost an even number of points are slightly easier to accommodate. Maybe it is just my fondness for Crossbowmen @ 267 , Marauders @ 367, and Swordsmen @ 237 that make the sum very likely to end up ending in the digit 1. Maybe it is the miserable choices Orcs have for core. The following is not a good example, but not being able to upgrade a Swordorc to anything but spears, and not being able to upgrade a Spearorc at all without dropping your number of core units is painful.

2 Goblin Raiders, 1 Goblin Bowgoblins, 2 Orc Spearorcs, 2 Orc Swordsorcs, 1 Orc Crossboworcs, 1 Orc Axeorcs = 9 units total (8 line units) @ 2001 points

Love them 146 point bowgoblins. In terms of 14" non-LOS range units, one of the best bangs for your buck. And they are core.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2017, 05:37:26 PM by BubblePig »

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2017, 09:38:04 AM »
I like the Orc Core choices.  It believe it's by design that you need to rely on a Goblin unit somewhere along your line.  But yeah, the upgrade choices mean that if you want to bring the big boys (AxeOrcs, Marauders), you need to commit to them as opposed to wheedle your way into upgrading to one of them.

One faction where I can pretty much guarantee coming in at just shy of 2000 points is the Dwarves.  For some reason they always work out well for me in that regard.

I just had a build the other day that I was really excited about until I added up the points: 2002.  Ack!

"You can never break the chain - There is never love without pain
A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart
A healing hand, as secret touch on the heart"
-Rush, Secret Touch

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2017, 01:54:19 PM »
I'm in agreement with Marcus at least regarding orcs.  Those smelly midgets he likes so much on the other hand are worth less than the dirt they walk on.

[Note: Nothing wrong with dwarves just don't like them for aesthetic reasons.  Plus picking on Markus is always fun  :P)
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 02:28:41 PM by NegativeZer0 »
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2017, 01:26:08 PM »
Persia:
2 Merc Hopalite Cassidy:  604
1 Indian Mumakil, with New Yorkers (Howa Dahing): 412
2 Royal Guard:  376
2 Kardashians:  340
1 Healer Mage:  (The role of the healer mage in the Persian army has been sorely underrepped)  200
Now, if only there was a unit that cost 68....
Ha...1 Thanahannabarbarra : 68

BubblePig

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2017, 05:58:54 PM »
Well played, sir.

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2017, 01:03:44 PM »
Forgot, here was one I actually did and played, that forced the flying rules to be changed 3 seconds after the game ended. 

2 dragons.  (Double dragon baby!!)
4 wildman swords
2 cards