Author Topic: That One Unit....  (Read 527 times)

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
That One Unit....
« on: June 30, 2017, 10:10:55 AM »
Every faction has at least 1 unit that really defines the way a faction plays.  Remove that unit from the faction and the faction becomes a different creature.  What do you think are some of those units? 

I'll start with an obvious one - Zombies for the Undead.  Remove that unit from the faction and it becomes a completely different, stinking dead animal.

What other units do you think fit into this list?
"You can never break the chain - There is never love without pain
A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart
A healing hand, as secret touch on the heart"
-Rush, Secret Touch

Hannibal

• Administrator
Re: That One Unit....
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 10:14:42 AM »
Axemen for Orcs.  Take that unit out and they lose their all-rounder elite unit and become a lot of specialized, matchup dependent units.

Antonians for Dwarves.  Yeah losing Longbeards would be a big hit, but without Antonians Dwarves have zero mobility and become a much weaker & more boring faction.

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 10:19:27 AM »
Antonians for Dwarves.  Yeah losing Longbeards would be a big hit, but without Antonians Dwarves have zero mobility and become a much weaker & more boring faction.
Brook has said this countless times.  I'm in total agreement though I would put forth Militia as a close second.
-Rush, Secret Touch

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 10:32:14 AM »
Giant War Elephant for the Umenzi.  Without that thing, the Umennzi again become predictable--a low-toughness faction that anything over 400 points will dominate.  But suddenly your Celsestial Guard has to be a whole lot less cocky.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2017, 04:49:38 PM »
Good call on the Elephant.  I would have mentioned a Spell Caster unit but there's two of them.

Here's one for Rome: Triarii.  Achieving the mass benefit to courage from being backed up without that unit would be so much more difficult.

I'm curious what folks would think about Wuxing.
-Rush, Secret Touch

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2017, 03:45:23 PM »
I'm curious what folks would think about Wuxing.

OK nobody else chimed in here, so I'll take this one:  I'd say the Fu Dogs.

Yes, Wuxing has other fast movers, but those are Jade Dragon (Holy crap expensive), Imperial Cav and Shanzhi Monks (both of which punch a bit below their weight) and Jun Horse archers (which pretty much automatically die if engaged). 

Fu Dogs, on the other hand, move 5", but they're cheap (165), they're Core, and they do nothing but get in there and beat the tar out of something.  That fills a really valuable niche that, without Fu Dogs, Wuxing would feel a lot more like the Umenzi.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill