Author Topic: High Elven Precision and Free Attacks on Routing Skirmishers  (Read 179 times)

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
When Skirmishers auto-route, the attacking enemy unit does not get impact hits if it has any.  High Elven Precision acts exactly like an impact hit, but it is a faction ability in truth.  So the way I'm understanding it, Precision can be used on the free attacks on auto-routing skirmishers.  Any thoughts on this O peanut gallery?
"As the years went by we drifted apart
When I heard that you where gone I felt a shadow cross my heart"
-Rush, Nbody's Hero

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
Re: High Elven Precision and Free Attacks on Routing Skirmishers
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2017, 11:44:11 PM »
The line about impact hits not counting should be removed.

Oh this isn't the bash on skirmishers thread... sorry...

Yes, its an army ability, you spent a CA on it , you should be able to use it and I see nothing that stops them (same for lizards)
« Last Edit: June 28, 2017, 12:08:00 AM by NegativeZer0 »
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2017, 07:41:55 AM »
I agree that skirmishers should be affected by impact hits.  This will help cavalry mow them down more quickly.   It would be nice if precision could be used also.
I’d agree with you but then we’d both be wrong.

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2017, 08:31:41 AM »
Yes, its an army ability, you spent a CA on it , you should be able to use it and I see nothing that stops them (same for lizards)

Agreed.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2017, 09:03:36 AM »
Thanks guys, I always enjoy some quick confirmation in the morning

I agree that skirmishers should be affected by impact hits.  This will help cavalry mow them down more quickly.   It would be nice if precision could be used also.

The current free attack rules makes it such that even a lowly Scout-type unit has a good chance to force a route check from damage.  Average cavalry like Hawk Light Cavalry would do something in the neighborhood of 3-4 damage, forcing a check.  And since most skirmishers have a courage of 11, that check will be at a 10.  Meaning 50% of the time the skirmisher dies.
-Rush, Nbody's Hero

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2017, 09:24:21 AM »
When Skirmishers auto-route, the attacking enemy unit does not get impact hits if it has any.  High Elven Precision acts exactly like an impact hit, but it is a faction ability in truth.  So the way I'm understanding it, Precision can be used on the free attacks on auto-routing skirmishers. 

Yup.  What everyone else said.  Precision is not an impact hit at all.  Impact hits only work when you're charging.  Precision works any time.

But yeah, any army ability works on skirmishers, because they'd work in normal free attacks. 

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2017, 10:34:40 AM »

The current free attack rules makes it such that even a lowly Scout-type unit has a good chance to force a route check from damage.  Average cavalry like Hawk Light Cavalry would do something in the neighborhood of 3-4 damage, forcing a check.  And since most skirmishers have a courage of 11, that check will be at a 10.  Meaning 50% of the time the skirmisher dies.

And this would be a bad thing?  Why shouldn't cavalry be able to run down skirmishers.  Their more points and they move as fast or faster than skirmishers do.

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2017, 10:44:04 AM »

And this would be a bad thing?  Why shouldn't cavalry be able to run down skirmishers.  Their more points and they move as fast or faster than skirmishers do.

Our original rewrite of the skirmisher rules included impact hits if the enemy unit was faster.  It was felt that elephants shouldn't get their impact hits, seeing as how skirmishers was exactly how ancient armies countered elephants.  Chad felt that was a little too finicky and said no impact hits for the sake of simplicity.  Which I could get on board with.

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2017, 11:01:45 AM »

Well, yeah!  This:
50% of the time the skirmisher dies.
-Rush, Nbody's Hero

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2017, 03:16:27 PM »

Well, yeah!  This:
50% of the time the skirmisher dies.

GOOD!  Cavalry should run them over. Light, Heavy, whatever.... The fact that they engaged to me means they got caught.  So sorry, you have to die now.  Use maneuver mastery to delay this.  Since they have that ability too.

Ostegun

« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2017, 10:27:13 AM »
Historically cavalry has always been a counter to skirmishers on flat land.
The bull bears it's horns in hope. Hope to fend off those who would feed on it's love. The love of all the ones who held the wall upon which all memories have been written. Existence fussed to rip and explode the bull into the breach of threat.To scream in all the colors the essence of it's love.