Author Topic: Monsters & Mercs – Undead 2000 Breaking Point  (Read 342 times)

Delvidian

• Facebook
Monsters & Mercs – Undead 2000 Breaking Point
« on: April 12, 2017, 07:49:41 PM »
BEGINNING
The winner in this scenario is the faction killing 900 points of enemy units first. We pulled a Kingdoms random terrain card which ended up being a similar configuration to our last scenario.  Here’s what we went with:

MONSTERS & MERCS
2x Half Orc Spearmen
2x Ogres
1x Wildmen Archers
1x Red Dragon
3x Command Cards
1998 points

UNDEAD
8x Zombies
2x Skeleton Spearmen
1x Skeleton Cavalry
2x Swarm of Rats
1x Giant Catapult
2001 points

My strategy was for the two units of spearmen to take the bridge, send my ogres across the river, and have my dragon fly right over to the giant catapult and burninate it. Since the goal was to kill units quickly, I wanted to circumvent the terrain obstacles so we wouldn't have boring bottlenecks for turn after turn. Looking at the vast Undead army -- more than twice the number of units -- that faced me, I was pretty confident that I was going to get my butt kicked. So be it.

Alex had a three-part strategy as well: Send his spearmen to the bridge, rush his cavalry and rat swarms around the lake, and surround his catapult with a wall of zombie meat and take pot shots at me from a safe distance. I have to admire his work.

MIDDLE
By the middle of the battle, we have my dragon trying to chew through his meat wall, the spearmen are engaged on the bridge and his cavalry and ravening swarms are turning the bend onto my side of the board. At this point a succession of crappy dice rolls kills my dragon, though I’m proud of how my ogres and spearmen held up. Unlike our last game, I had no units rout on me.

END
The last several turns was a war of inches, with both of us rolling badly and slowly whittling away at each other.    By turn 11, my son was only about a hundred points away from victory but with 5 units of Undead killed I was still almost 300 points away from the 900-point goal. Damn those cheap zombies! I conceded the battle so I wouldn’t give him the satisfaction of watching his rat swarms devour my archers.

FINAL THOUGHTS
- I doubt this will be the last time I see his meat-wall-around- the catapult trick.
- Ogres are awesome. They fight hard, they last, they don't burn cards.
- I didn't play the dragon well. I should have strafed the catapult a couple of times before setting down for a charge.

If you were me, what would you have done differently?

Kevin

• Administrator
Re: Monsters & Mercs – Undead 2000 Breaking Point
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 08:29:09 PM »
Nice report, and welcome to the forum!

Command cards are generally a poor buy.  If possible, I'd cash those in to upgrade a spearmen to another unit of Ogres...and probably would trade in the archers to upgrade to even more Ogres! 

Adding that I run a tournament and pull that terrain card out of the deck, as it's rough terrain that overly favors the defender and stand-and-shoot.

That said, given the army you have, some things I'd have done.

- Put the spearmen side-by-side instead of front-to-back.  They're tougher than anything they're likely to face, and if by some chance you do need to get one in front of the other it's easy to do that via standing orders.

- Deployed the army in more-or-less a mirror image of what you have.  Ogres on the left, Spearmen on the right, archers behind the Ogres.  I'd have put the dragon on the right, hoping to draw some tough stuff over there, but then would give an order (or maybe even change the order) to have it fly to the far left corner of the map.  The job of the Spearmen would be to protect the side open flank and survive as long as possible.  Meanwhile, two Ogres and a Red Dragon hit one side of the other army like a freight train (with an archer firing in support for extra carnage).

- Yeah, and I'd have the Dragon breathe as well.  Probably would hit the Skeleton Archers since those guys can do some real damage.  I wouldn't let the fire breathing delay the time until the dragon got engaged, though.

But, you know, it can be good for your son to win too.  :)
« Last Edit: April 13, 2017, 04:48:40 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Delvidian

• Facebook
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2017, 08:57:17 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, Kevin! Great stuff as I learn the game.

I'd like to say I let my son win to encourage him, but that wouldn't be quite accurate. ;)

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2017, 09:35:18 PM »
Command cards are generally a poor buy.  If possible, I'd cash those in to upgrade a spearmen to another unit of Ogres...and probably would trade in the archers to upgrade to even more Ogres! 

Command Cards aren't always a bad buy if you wind up at a weird points total and can't realistically upgrade anything, but I usually look to upgrade a unit myself if possible.  What IS a good buy is the Paymaster.  If you don't have the latest rules (v3.1, booklet comes with Wuxing, Alexander vs. Persia) you won't know about this since it's errata.  Essentially, you can spend 15 points to pre-mark a spoils box on a merc unit during army build.  You can do this up to 4 times for a max of 60 points spent.  The Spoils boxes are marked after deployment but before standing orders are issued.  Since you are usually going to mark the Spoils boxes during a game anyways, if you have a spare 15 or so points laying around at the end of army construction you really can't go wrong using the Paymaster since many M&M units need at least 1 spoils box marked to be truly viable.
"The point of the journey is not to return... anything can happen"
-Rush, Prime Mover

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2017, 09:46:48 PM »
Oh, just to add 1 thing - Zombies are the best Core unit value in the game for their role.  Full stop.
-Rush, Prime Mover

Delvidian

• Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2017, 06:03:30 AM »
What IS a good buy is the Paymaster.
Yes! I read about Paymaster then forgot about it while using the spiffy Army Creation Tool. I need to edit my version to add a row for Paymaster after Command Cards so I don't do that again.

Zombies are the best Core unit value in the game for their role.  Full stop.
I tried to tell him that Children Shouldn't Play With Dead Things but the dude is 22 years old.

joeyeti

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2017, 07:26:35 AM »
Excuse my ignorance guys, but - what is that "thing" in the tin? :)

Delvidian

• Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2017, 11:38:01 AM »
I find it easy to lose track of numbers with CCs flying around, so I made a Japanese abacus (soroban) in an Altoids tin to help compute the dice rolls. Going from left to right, the three columns are attack dice - offensive skill - power. The 4 beads below the crossbar represent 1, the bead above the crossbar, 5. You read  the beads touching the crossbar. So in the last photo, whatever battle that was, I was rolling 5 dice, hitting on 4s and hurting on 3s.

joeyeti

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2017, 04:48:23 PM »
I find it easy to lose track of numbers with CCs flying around, so I made a Japanese abacus (soroban) in an Altoids tin to help compute the dice rolls. Going from left to right, the three columns are attack dice - offensive skill - power. The 4 beads below the crossbar represent 1, the bead above the crossbar, 5. You read  the beads touching the crossbar. So in the last photo, whatever battle that was, I was rolling 5 dice, hitting on 4s and hurting on 3s.
Hey, I learned something new today! You made me check the soroban and remember I always wondered how the asian people could whiz on with such an ancient "machine" instead of using a calculator... currently watching "soroban - easy addition" on Youtube :)

Delvidian

• Facebook
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2017, 09:31:00 PM »
What's even cooler is that after they teach children how to manipulate the soroban to add, multiply and divide, they teach them how to do these functions using only the soroban they imagine in their minds. I can hardly count to 21 without unzipping my pants [insert  fraction joke here].

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2017, 12:38:56 AM »
Well you could get 23 if you included the....

Never mind.  Nice report.
-Rush, Prime Mover