Author Topic: Last Stand Tournament at Kublacon 2017  (Read 1181 times)

Hannibal

• Administrator
Last Stand Tournament at Kublacon 2017
« on: March 30, 2017, 10:40:45 AM »
Last Stand Tournament:

Sometimes it's not about winning. It's about fighting to the bitter end.

This year we'll be doing a tournament that heavily features the Last Stand Scenario.

Round 1 will be Breaking Point @1500pts as a "warm up" game for players.

Rounds 2 & 3 will be Last Stand.  Each player will be the attacker in one round and the defender in the other.

All fantasy and historical factions are allowed.  Players may take Monsters & Mercenaries, Spartiates, and Stone Monkeys as mercenaries.

Day:  Sunday, May 28th
Time:  1:00pm-7:00pm

Hannibal

• Administrator
Re: Last Stand Tournament at Kublacon 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2017, 12:33:38 PM »
We had 6 players in the Last Stand tournament at Kublacon (really 7, but Scott opted to drop out so that we had an even number of players but then played in round three when one of our players had to leave).

The factions played were:  Umenzi, Dark Elves, Lizardmen, Alexander, Dwarves (2 games), Wuxing (1 game), and Persia.

Here's the video before the start of round 2

Overall great fun was had by all.

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2017, 01:01:50 PM »
Corey's tournament experience:

(sorry no pictures, because the camera on my phone is having issues).

I was overall feeling exhausted by day 3 of Kublacon & decided to go with Alexander purely because he can do a decent cav-swarm.  4-5 Companion Cavalry can give anyone pause, and it can be relatively easy to play.  Moreover, games are fast.   8)

Round 1:  Lizardmen vs Alexander.  Breaking Point, no terrain, 1500pts.  I took 4 Companion cavalry, 2 Iphicratean Foot, Alexander and Nikanor.  My opponent took Ancients, Swarmlings, Hatchlings, and a couple Tyrant Warriors.  Combat started on round 2. 

The Swarmlings & Hatchlings couldn't protect the flanks of the Ancients, and although I lost a unit of Iphicrateans & a Companion Cavalry to the Tyrants, it was flank-pinch all day.  A pretty solid 4-2 win.  Did I mention that my games was fast?  Marcus was playing next to us and was a little delayed seeing as he came right from doing demos, but my game was done & Marcus was still assigning orders...

Round 2:  Dwarves (attacker) vs Alexander (defender).  Last Stand, giant hill in the middle of the table.  This is the game you can see in the video.  The tournament organizer had it in for me with this map & Dwarves are a terrible faction to play a breakthrough-dependent build.  But I said frakit and stuck with the mostly same army:  4 Companion Cavalry, 2 Agema, Alexander, Nikanor, and 2 cards.  My opponent went with a wide line build with all infantry, so I wouldn't have to worry about Antonians crashing down on my flank.

The good news is that I grabbed the hill first.  The bad news is that was still only D:2/2 for my cavalry.  I put up a good showing, using the speed to get the matchups I wanted before his numbers could come to bear but the dice just didn't work in my favor.  It wasn't a good build against Dwarves because it left me with no margin for error, but I still managed to claw my way to a 3-3 draw.

Round 3:  Alexander (attacker) vs Umenzi (Defender).  Medium sized swamp in the center of the table.  Again, the TO gave me a map designed to mess with me.  Almost like we're friends or something.  My army build?  You guessed it:  5 Companion Cavalry, 2 Agema, Alexander, Nikanor, and 3 Command Cards.  Marcus brought a couple Worthy, some Spearmen, a Shaman & Atlatlmen...oh, and an Elephant.  Being colossal it wouldn't be affected by the swamp, so he actually had the fastest moving thing in the terrain.

The name of this game was Exhaustion.  We were both tired & kept forgetting little things like spells and I was a little slower on the math than Marcus.  He also gave me a Two Company's that I think was a little dodgy due to how units were lined up.  It was actually a worse charge for me because my Cav were charging Holding spearmen vs going Two's Company on the Worthy (the spearmen hit on 4s and 5s vs the 3s & 4s the Worthy would have been hitting on).

I spent a lot of CAs repositioning and gave up the command card advantage I'd had in the early game.  My Agema & Companion cavalry danced with the GWE, and when Marcus charged in the Elephant the ensuing pinch is what did him in when he failed the Courage 12 Yellow check and then the Red check on the Free Strikes.  I honestly don't remember the score, whether it was a 3-3 Draw or a 4-2 Win for me, but I don't care.

Marcus said afterwards that he didn't think that he made any major mistakes, and I agreed.  But in retrospect, I think the mistake he made was the one we kept joking about with how the Faith Armor is something of a trap because if you put it on all your units (as he did) you end up hurting for command cards.  And that's basically what happened because after the GWE routed, the very next card he drew was the Green auto-pass card.  It's a minor thing that ended up having a major impact, but I think the bigger impact was failing the Yellow check in the first place and some hot dice I had with my Companions. 

Overall, really fun.  The Companion Cavalry alpha strike is really fun.  Even against the Dwarves.   :o

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2017, 01:54:43 PM »

Marcus said afterwards that he didn't think that he made any major mistakes, and I agreed.  But in retrospect, I think the mistake he made was the one we kept joking about with how the Faith Armor is something of a trap because if you put it on all your units (as he did) you end up hurting for command cards.  And that's basically what happened because after the GWE routed, the very next card he drew was the Green auto-pass card. 

"We are young wandering the face of the Earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time"
-Rush, Dreamline