Author Topic: Championship 2017 Sunday "Swiss" Blakely (Dwarves) vs. Marcus (M&M)  (Read 221 times)

Kevin

• Administrator
Eric and Dave were off to play other games.  When there's only 2 players, it's "Swiss," "Single-Elimination" "Round-Robin" and just about every other tournament format all in one.  :P

Blakely's Dwarves prevailed over Marcus's Monster & Mercenaries, despite--or maybe because of--some early routs.  The Hydra got its rampage, and was never pinched, but Dwarves are tough!  Eventually it ran out of gas.

Congrats to Blakely, who ended the tournament with a victory in the Sunday "Swiss!"

My last report for the day. Time to go do some work.  :-\
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Re: Championship 2017 Sunday "Swiss" Blakely (Dwarves) vs. Marcus (M&M)
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 05:09:00 PM »
This game was an absolute hoot.  I put all the eggs in the proverbial basket on the hill with the Elemental and Hydra, shunning the forest like the plague.  While the Hydra is traditionally known to us as "Gothmog Devourer of Worlds", I referred to my big blue nasty as "Mr. Wiggles" for this game.  My theory holds that once the Hydra exceeds 4 heads, it becomes unmanageable.  Mr. Wiggles acqured 7 heads!  He was able to devour almost all he came in contact with, but Blakely's Dwarves where able to put significant damage on him so that he eventually fell.  The Longbeards where bosses becaue they endured 2(!) pinches and still beat off all comers.  The real heroes of the game where the Dwarven Spearmen that where routed by Rocks-For-Brains.  Blakely let them run for a couple of turns then reformed them.  The Elemental crashed into them and took something like 5 damage on the charge!  The Spearmen survived with a single hit box and Mr. Wiggles took some damage cleaning them up.  I believe that was the difference in the game. 

Afterwards Blakely and I played games of both Hill 218 and Sector 219.  I spent more time sitting at a table with her than anybody else and henceforth I shall refer to her as my Table Wife.
"As the years went by we drifted apart
When I heard that you where gone I felt a shadow cross my heart"
-Rush, Nbody's Hero

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2017, 10:58:01 AM »
More like you were Blakely's table boy-toy but she slapped down your monsters when they got too fresh.  ;D

This just might be the first time I've ever seen MVP goes to a unit that routed in its first fight!
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 11:04:25 AM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2017, 02:40:57 PM »
This just might be the first time I've ever seen MVP goes to a unit that routed in its first fight!

Yeah, that unit got to benefit from the holding spears vs. Large/Colossal thing 3 times in that game.
"As the years went by we drifted apart
When I heard that you where gone I felt a shadow cross my heart"
-Rush, Nbody's Hero