Author Topic: Championship 2017 Round 3 Ron (Persia) vs. Jaime (Ravenwood)  (Read 144 times)

Kevin

• Administrator
Championship 2017 Round 3 Ron (Persia) vs. Jaime (Ravenwood)
« on: March 11, 2017, 10:07:24 AM »
Ron's Persians defeated Jaime's Ravenwood army in this epic-game.  Pretty sure the Elephants won MVP, though Ron's archers pecked and pecked and pecked away at the poor elves as well.  After this game, Ron was 3-0 and had the #1 slot going into the Sunday.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2017, 10:09:07 AM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

BubblePig

• Shoeless God of War
  • Playtester
  • Y'all are just hating on my steez.
Re: Championship 2017 Round 3 Ron (Persia) vs. Jaime (Ravenwood)
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2017, 06:48:59 PM »
The thing I remember most clearly is the special condition (lieutenants) and that the Elephants qualified because they were not pitch to play and that they got to deploy ahead of the deployment zone and get a free DC every turn because of that. I won this game largely because of that travesty of justice. The Elephants survived 3 or 4 opponents matched up against them; IIRC they got at an extra range shot (at least) on every unit tasked with dealing with them as that opponent slogged up the hill; Because the DC to hold them back was free it was a no-brainer to take the best shot I could and still get the impact hits; The non impact hit turns were mostly slap fights, which would have been trouble if I were depending on them to win quickly.
Also IIRC Jaime got to choose who moved first because he spent 1997 to my 1998 (I decided to not take levies because there was still a small chance I would get to move first and get that hill,) and because of the special deploy condition he still got screwed. You can see in that first pic the Elephants are just as far forward as the Thanvabara. I took a lot of Thanvabara this tournament and I did not regret a single one of them. They disrupted formations which was huge and they seemed to always give me that little bit of damage when I needed it the most. Even when I needed 1's or 2's. Yup, I would say Elephants and Thanvabara were always no brainers in terms of getting my points worth in the army building phase.