Author Topic: Championship 2017 Round 3 Brook (Orcs) vs. Marcus (Dwarves)  (Read 195 times)

Kevin

• Administrator
Championship 2017 Round 3 Brook (Orcs) vs. Marcus (Dwarves)
« on: March 09, 2017, 11:57:16 PM »
Looks like a pretty tight game, except that Brook's Trolls were totally rampaging!

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Re: Championship 2017 Round 3 Brook (Orcs) vs. Marcus (Dwarves)
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2017, 07:31:21 PM »
I remember that this game featured a special condition called Hodge Podge or something like that.  I forget the specifics, but the general idea was that you couldn't spam any units of any type and you had to have a variety of units.  We had 2 annoying events occur right next to each other.  A unit of Battleaxemen inherited a twos-company and the Orc/Goblin units just couldn't put much damage on them no matter how loudly their commanders howled.  This was tempered by the Battleaxemen next to them blowing a route check vs. Orc Swordsmen.  This route check permitted the Swordsmen to pinch the other Battleaxemen, bringing them down.  I recall the Chukker being really erratic this game.  My Crossbowmen scored a couple of points on Orc Axemen on the approach while my Bowmen totally air mailed their first 3-4 attacks. 

A major factor to the outcome was the way Brook kept his Goblin Spearmen back on his left flank, keeping my Antonians in check.  I finally just gave it up and rammed them with the Antonians, blowing them into the red.  The Antonians had a yellow check on that turn.  Naturally the Antonians honked the check while the Goblins succeeded but the Antonians got away scott free on the free attacks (I think I played a card here?).  They where able to finish the Goblins off 2 turns later but this allowed the Chukker 2 more turns of firing.  Had it been the other way around, I had a *chance* to even the game up.  It was a good use of Goblin Spearmen.
"As the years went by we drifted apart
When I heard that you where gone I felt a shadow cross my heart"
-Rush, Nbody's Hero