Author Topic: Championship 2017 Round 2 Ron (Persia) vs. Dave (Lizardmen)  (Read 146 times)

Kevin

• Administrator
Championship 2017 Round 2 Ron (Persia) vs. Dave (Lizardmen)
« on: March 08, 2017, 09:45:44 AM »
2200 points, secret-and-simulataneous deployment, and a Special Situation.  It looks like Ron's Persian's shattered the Lizardmen left flank and got an early-ish surrender before the Lizardmen's stronger right could bring its full weight to bear.

However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

BubblePig

• Shoeless God of War
  • Playtester
  • Y'all are just hating on my steez.
Re: Championship 2017 Round 2 Ron (Persia) vs. Dave (Lizardmen)
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2017, 08:51:00 AM »
Ok, so my fondness for Hydra aside, secret and simultaneous is my least fav deployment. Lizzies are mostly (5)5/x, so loaded up on 3/x [hoplites and royal guard] and a few skirmishers then deployed more or less symmetrically. I had a skirmisher more or less in the center and one each more or less on each flank to cause shenanigans and help lead the T-Rex which never actually showed up on a merry chase to get flank-pinched.
Dave expressed his regret that he invested so many points in archers, and given the range defense bonuses a lot of Persia's units get, I have to agree he would have been better off bringing more beef to the table.
Once again Thanvabara are the heroes: you can see over on my right the trikes get pulled out of position by these twerps and pig-piled. Props to the cheap cav I was able to buy, for 150ish points they are more bang for the buck IMO than Dark Elf Slavetakers. YMMV. You can see me in one of these pics measuring to the trikes and the cav were just out of range, but nonetheless that threat range is huge. 1/8 inch closer and they would have exploded the trikes before most of the tyrants even saw any action.
One big thing in Dave's favor is that there were a ridiculous number of twos companies on most of the line, but it was just too little too late. Because of those twos companies, the outcome was closer than it looked from these pics, IIRC. If I had a do over I would have tried to do something about that, because the whole purpose of that part of the line was to lose much more slowly against those tyrants.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2017, 08:59:19 AM by BubblePig »