Author Topic: Championship 2017 Round 1 Ron (Persia) vs. Marcus (Dwarves)  (Read 458 times)

Kevin

• Administrator
Championship 2017 Round 1 Ron (Persia) vs. Marcus (Dwarves)
« on: March 03, 2017, 07:55:55 PM »
Ron's Persian army's first victory, this Ticking Clock game looks pretty close, except that at the end Ron has a unit sitting in a forest for +200.

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 07:58:01 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

BubblePig

• Shoeless God of War
  • Playtester
  • Y'all are just hating on my steez.
Re: Championship 2017 Round 1 Ron (Persia) vs. Marcus (Dwarves)
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2017, 08:47:19 AM »
Persia felt pretty balanced with the 2 command card deficit. As for getting only 175 points for levies, I fought on this map 3 times out of 5 and thus decided to forgo levies in favor of giving myself a shot at moving first, and only took levies 1 time out of the other 2 games.

The heroes of the game were definitely the Thanvabara in the forest, giving me the 200 points I needed to win by only 40 or 50 points. One of my favorite things to do on the way in is to direct control skirmishers to maximize their annoyance value, but these guys just followed their initial SO, routed away, then auto rallied in just the right spot. They reminded me of those Ron Popeil rotisserie commercials, "just set it and forget it."

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2017, 11:15:41 AM »
This was an incredibly close game.  Like, easily one of the 3 closest games I've ever played.  A few notes:

Chariots vs. Antonians is not a good match up for the Chariots if you have a good toughness-boosting command card, which I did.

I used a couple unites of Hammermen.  I love Hammermen against Historical factions as well as Umenzi.  1 of them wound up on the losing side vs. Merc Hoplities but that was expected and they did leave a dent before they ran off.

The game was really all about the match up between the Longbeards and Elephants on the hill.  Both of us played cards on the initial charge and both of us honked this attack.  Then both units did like 3-4 damage on the following turn.  Then the Longbeards honked the following attack while the Elephants did well.  My luck rounded out when The Beards did a ridiculous 4 damage in 1 turn, leaving the Elephants with 1 yellow box.  The Elephants obliged by blowing the route check.  I had a red card in hand that I could have played on the free attack and I chose not to.  I had 4 dice at the point (in the red + Rune) needing 6s and 3s and I thought that surely I'd do at least a point of damage to force a red check since he had no cards in hand at the time.  If that happens and the Elephants failed the red check, the game ends right there.  Well I whiffed on that attack, so off they ran.  But The Beards did achieve some furhter glory when they got flanked by Merc Hoplities and they fought the phalanx off as the Hoplities failed their red check.  So there where some serious manliness points achieved by the Beards.

The Elephants where brought back into the fight and I was able to engage them on the Hill with Axemen who where still in the green that had the Rune marked.  The Elephants had the high ground but I had a might card in hand and Ron was again lacking cards at this point.  Surely I can do a point of damage with 9 dice on the charge needing 3s and 2s.  If the Elephants fail the red check I drive them off the Hill and could claim the Hill since The Antonians where in a position to tie them up next turn.  All I had to do was make sure the Axemen didn't honk the Fear check so I played a Rune of the Wary, giving them an effective courage of 15. 
I roll a 16.  DOH!
I get no damage and I eventually have to pinch the thing with Antonians to bring it down.  If you look at the final picture, you can see that I was 1 turn away from getting a unit to the top of the hill, claiming the terrain objective that would give me the points to win the game.  But my inability to do that final point of damage to the Elephants at the right time prevented the Elephants from having the opportunity to fail a red check on a 9.

Now before you get to thinking that I'm carping about lousy luck costing me the game, Ron also had some outrageous failures of fortune.  He'll probably remember those better than I since we have a tendency to remember the abuses of the Dice Gods while we forget the blessings of those same gods.  Regardless, Ron played well here and there was serious tension throughout the game.  I really don't mind losing games like this much, it's the experience itself and we both had a blast playing it.
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science

BubblePig

• Shoeless God of War
  • Playtester
  • Y'all are just hating on my steez.
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2017, 03:02:15 PM »
I want to go into this battle in more depth, but I will just share two thoughts for now. Scythed Chariots have a really good chance of converting hits into damage on the charge turn, when they also have all those extra impact hits. That makes them just brutal if they can win that first fight, even if they get banged up in the process. They are a 150 point unit that it does not take a lot of imagination to create a hypothetical scenario of them being a win condition all by themselves. So what I keep coming back to when looking at the deployment photo is what the hell was I thinking lining them up against Antonians?
Also reading Marcus' analysis reminds me of one of the most memorable things about this game, which was the constantly recurring thought "What am I doing so abysmally wrong that I never have any command cards when I need them?" Even so, there was a lot of back and forth tension in this game and it was great fun to play.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 03:31:35 PM by BubblePig »

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2017, 09:10:46 AM »
All I had to do was make sure the Axemen didn't honk the Fear check so I played a Rune of the Wary, giving them an effective courage of 15. 
I roll a 16.  DOH!
Ouch!  :)

Man, this sounds like a seriously tight, exciting game that could've gone either way.

What am I doing so abysmally wrong that I never have any command cards when I need them?"

I was about to say "Satrap Army," but you didn't do that here did you?  But FWIW I know the feeling.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2017, 10:34:26 AM »
Ron actually had a decent amount of cards most of the game, I just remember that he happened to be dry at those 2 key points.
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2017, 08:56:47 PM »
I do spot one wasted Command Action:  Rallying the Kardakes in the foreground of the last photo when the game was about to end anyway.  That may have been after the cards were needed, though.