Author Topic: Talon: a mix of Battleground and Star Fleet Battles  (Read 891 times)

Dave-SWA

• The Schenectady Wargamers Association
    • The Schenectady Wargamers Association
Talon: a mix of Battleground and Star Fleet Battles
« on: February 20, 2017, 09:42:14 AM »
Since a bunch of us here are old Star Fleet Battles grogards...

I had the chance to try the game Talon at last Saturday's SWA Game-a-thon.

It has an interesting mix of SFB and Battleground: Fantasy Warfare concepts.  The counters are large - 2" hexes.  They have a coating so you can write on them with dry-erase markers.  As your ship takes damage, you mark-off boxes right on the counter.  There is even a super-abbreviated energy allocation phase, and you write your speed and "available power" right on the counter too.

My very quick review:
Not bad.  Plays pretty fast once you get a hang of the rules.  Not SFB, but you can see the strong influences.  If I posted this over on the ADB BBS, I suspect Cole would delete it.  A little simple for me - I actually wish there were more options (and thus more rules).  Quirky rule: Friendly ships cannot stack, not even fighters, but you can be in the same hex as an enemy ship.  But, no weapons in the basic set could fire at range 0.  While I see the game reason for this, it feels wrong.  I'm not going to run out and buy it, but I will probably play again sometime. 

Info Links:

Talon on GMT web site
http://www.gmtgames.com/p-581-talon-reprint-edition.aspx

Talon on BGG
https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/145976/talon

Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Sept 29 - Oct 1, 2017) - this is our 40th, the Ruby Anniversary.  It will be extra special this year!
www.swa-gaming.org

Kevin

• Playtester
Re: Talon: a mix of Battleground and Star Fleet Battles
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2017, 03:28:02 PM »
Cool stuff, though no-shooting-at-point-blank does sound kinda hinky.

My latest obsession is The Battle for Greyport, a cooperative cards-and-dice deck-building game that plays sort of like Dominion.  You're in a Dungeons-and-Dragons style adventuring party defending a city vs attacking hordes of monsters (including a Boss Monster at the end).  Since it's cooperative, my wife is more than happy to play.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 03:31:03 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Re: Talon: a mix of Battleground and Star Fleet Battles
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2017, 07:09:08 PM »
Looks kind of neat.  My knee jerk reaction is that it's aimed at the Federation Commander.  The developer is obviously a Rush fan because the big Faster Than Light even occurred in 2112 on their timeline  :P
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science