Author Topic: Battleground Tournament at Highlander Games in Boonton NJ Summer 2017  (Read 7628 times)

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Hi there kids, it's been way too long concerning me posting about upcoming events.  Well, here's an upcoming event that I'm excited to tell you about. 

But first, a bit of news concerning another event: Dexcon.  Every year we have run events at Dexcon throughout the weekend but the sad truth is that there has been a dip in attendance the last couple of years and it has reached the point where I don't feel it's worthwhile for YMG to run events throughout the weekend any more.  I still intend to run a Friday or Saturday night event, but the days of us running multi day tournaments at that convention are over.  The biggest obstacle to attendance has been the scheduling itself - every year Double Exposure runs it the same week as July 4 and that seriously cuts into those plans for many of you.  Understandable.  So with that out of the way...

This last year we have built a relationship with Highlander Games in Boonton NJ (just 10 miles North of Morristown where Dexcon is held) and we have already run demos there.  They carry our product and it has been selling.  They have 2(!) gaming areas and as a gaming facility it is roomy, clean, and very nice.  I spoke with Scott the owner today and I proposed the idea of a day-long Championship style Battleground Tournament to be held there one Saturday this Summer and he jumped all over it.  We have enough time til the Summer that he has very few events scheduled that far in advance at this time.  So we basically can pick our weekend and odds are very strong that it will stick.  We need to decide upon a weekend to run this thing.  Any Saturday in June, July, or August.  I'd like to get this nailed down by the end of February so I can get back to Scott with a date and he can set it aside and we can proceed from there.

What Summer dates work best for you?

Highlander's Facebook Page: https://www.facebook.com/highlandergamesnj/

UPDATE 6/11/2017

OK, we're all set to go.  I spoke with Scott from Highlander earlier this week and he's keen on an 11:00 start time, so that's what we'll give him. 

The Gods Must Be Crazy

Being a God can be hard work.  It can also be boring after a near-eternity of enjoying godly powers.  Today Arastmus the God of War and Invernius the Goddess of Sport have decided to have a bit of fun and have a contest among themselves.  The nations are their plaything and they have decided to sow the seeds of war throughout the continent and beyond!   

Each player selects an army at the beginning of the event.  This will be their army for the duration of the event.  At the beginning of each game both players will roll a die to determine which God they are fighting for and record it the result of the game.  This means that it's possible for a player to be fighting for a different god from round to round.  It also means that every game counts!  The victorious deity will gain hordes of worshipers and perhaps gifts will flow down to the nations that fought for the victor.

Mercenaries

Starting in round 2, up to 500 points of Core Monsters & Mercenaries units can be used in any army build.  Healer Mages count as core for these purposes.  Starting in round 3, all mercenary units will be available but you are only allowed to use ONE mercenary unit for your army.  Yes, this means you can have a dragon if you're nuts enough.  Any player playing Monsters & Mercs as a faction can designate another Fantasy (i.e. non-historical) faction as their "mercenary" faction and use the rules above for their mercenary units.  For purposes of the event faction specific abilities can be used at no penalty on your mercenary units.  Wanna take 2 Half-Orc Swordsmen and mark off all 4 Spoils boxes in a single turn?  Go nuts.

Schedule

I'm going to go for 4 rounds so I'll do my best to adhere to this schedule:

11:00 - Introductory stuff, folks pick factions, opponents are assigned
11:15 - First game  1500 points vs. 1750 points Ticking Clock (see 1 below)
1:30 - LUNCH BREAK
2:30 - Game 2 2000 points per side,  4 command actions per turn, Breaking Point, light terrain (see 2 below)
4:30 - Game 3 2000 points per side,  4 command actions per turn, Total Warfare, Early Morning Fog (first 4 units of each player's army uses hidden deployment, then deploy as per normal after initial deployment is revealed), light terrain
7:00 DINNER
8:00 - Game 4 2000 points,  4 command actions per turn, Standard Kingdoms Terrain with veto, Total Warfare

There is some flexibility here but I'd like to stick to this as best we can

Special Games rules

1 - Scott has been pitching this event as a Beginners Tournament and there will be players there that have only played a handful of games.  I'll be able to determine from those in attendance who's an expert player and who isn't.  It may seem unfair to throw new players to the wolves, but that's exactly what I'm going to do right off the bat.  However, it won't be quite as easy for the wolves because I'm going to even the score.  For the 1st round, the wolves (i.e. experienced players) will receive 1500 points and 3 command actions per turn.  The less experienced player will get 1750 points and 4 command actions per turn.  In addition, the newer player will also get to randomly draw 2 command cards for free in addition to any command cards they purchased at the beginning of the game.  The spirit of this exercise is to give newer players a chance to actually win a game against an expert level player that is playing all out and not holding anything back.  This should be an educational game for both players  :) 
After that I'll b matching players up according to record.

If 2 players of a relatively equal skill set are paired up in the first round due to an uneven distribution of newer vs. experienced players, the first round game will be a 1500 point Ticking Clock game.

2 - Light terrain - Each player rolls a die.  The results will determine the terrain.
Player 1 die result (terrain feature):
1 - small hill
2 - small forest
3 - small lake
4 - small swamp
5 - light brush
6 - re roll

Player 2 die result (terrain placement relative to player 2):
1,2 - Terrain in center of map equidistant from both deployment zones
3,4 - Terrain in right of map equidistant from both deployment zones
5,6 - Terrain in left of map equidistant from both deployment zones

What's A Game Master To Do?

If we have an odd number of players including myself, I'll sit out and run the event like a good little boy.  If at any time we have an even number of players, I'll sit in on a game.  If I am replacing somebody that had to leave, I'll simply use the faction they where playing.  Otherwise I'll randomly roll to select among a set of pre-determined factions all in the name of fairness.

I see this event as being mildly competitive and fun.  I'm pleased as punch that many of you are traveling from afar to participate.  I'm also very happy to have newer players try their hands at Battleground: Fantasy/Historical Warfare.  It really means a lot to me and our Battleground community as a whole.  Let's all have fun, shall we?
« Last Edit: June 12, 2017, 08:18:26 PM by RushAss »
"Chase the Sun around the World I want to look at life
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light

Kevin

Re: Battleground Tournament at Highlander Games in Boonton NJ Summer 2017
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2017, 05:35:04 PM »
Will chime in with dates later, but this makes me happy.   :)
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2017, 11:22:29 PM »
This place is like gaming paradise.  The room is very spacious and the tables are velvety.   ;D
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2017, 10:22:56 PM »
I'd really like to get this nailed down by the end of February so we ensure that we can get the weekend that we want.  So spit out those dates my good people!
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light

Kevin

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2017, 11:55:14 PM »
OK here's a start at least:

July 15 my cousin is getting married.

August 26 probably I'll be on a large vacation, and the 19th is only slightly less good.

Other dates are all looking good at the moment.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

BubblePig

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2017, 10:15:23 AM »
Aug 13 to 19 is no go for me

NegativeZer0

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2017, 12:00:41 PM »
July 5-9 is a good weekend for me   ;D

No weekends
June 10/11
July 15/16

« Last Edit: February 09, 2017, 06:56:39 PM by NegativeZer0 »
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2017, 05:48:35 PM »
July 5-6 is a good weekend for me   ;D

No weekends
June 11/12
July 15/16

July 5th and 6th is a Wednesday/Thursday...

June 11th and 12th is a Sunday/Monday....

If I'm correct, I think the tournament will be an all day affair on a Saturday. 

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2017, 07:39:28 PM »
I should have mentioned that July 5-9 is Dexcon this year.  Assume that's a "bad" weekend for this.
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light

Dave-SWA

• The Schenectady Wargamers Association
    • The Schenectady Wargamers Association
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2017, 08:26:06 PM »
I have an out-of-town commitment on the July 28-30 weekend.

To avoid traveling two weekends in a row, that also means I would prefer to avoid July 22 and Aug 5.  But I could swing it on these two dates if necessary.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:29:08 AM by Dave-SWA »
Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Oct 5-7, 2018)
www.swa-gaming.org

BubblePig

« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2017, 08:36:24 PM »
Just rechecked the calendar. The Harry Potter summer camp that I am counselor for runs Aug 13 to 19 for campers, but I need to be there on the 12th. I could make June 3 but it would not be ideal.

Saturday dates that no one has squawked at yet and that still seem doable for me:
June 17, 24
July 1, 8

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 12:44:55 PM »
Just spoke to the owner last night.  He is eager to find out which day works for everyone.  He also told me that some of the locals there have starting playing battleground and it's gaining popularity.

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2017, 05:14:09 PM »
OK, so now we've got it narrowed down to:

June 17
June 24 - My Niece graduates High School this week, but I've already alerted my sister-in-law about the posbility I'll miss the party and she's cool with it.
July 1 - This is the weekend before Dexcon and probably least desirable for me, but certainly doable.

Personally my preference rides in chronological order, with the 17th being best and July 1st being worst, but I can do this an any of these days.  Scott isn't at the store today but I'll reach out tommorrow to check on the availability of those dates.  Everybody OK with that?
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light

BubblePig

« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2017, 05:24:50 PM »
Look if we are going to drag niece's graduations and anniversaries and stuff like that into it, then we might as well forget it.  :P
That said, I think June 17 gives the best separation from Dexcon so all other things being equal that seems like the best choice.

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2017, 04:35:38 PM »
OK, I spoke to Scott today and we are a go for June 17th!  Just to be clear...

SATURDAY JUNE 17th

The place will be ours for the entire day.  They officially open at 11:00 am but I'll see if I can set it up to start a bit sooner.  This will be an all day multi round event.  My hope is to squeeze 4 rounds into the day.  My initial thought is that we'll work out a round robin or Swiss style tournament because we will have some local players that are not quite as intense as the Championship crowd.  I'll fill you fine folks in on the details as we get closer to June.

I'll post local hotel info as time goes on as well.  So mark your calendars!
« Last Edit: March 07, 2017, 08:05:45 PM by RushAss »
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light