Author Topic: BFW Day at Dave's House, December 10, 2016  (Read 3286 times)

Dave-SWA

• The Schenectady Wargamers Association
BFW Day at Dave's House, December 10, 2016
« on: November 14, 2016, 10:48:09 PM »
Eric S. wants a chance to practice for the TotalCon tournament, so we're making it happen.

I will host a day of Battleground action at my house on Saturday, December 10th.

Anyone who wants to stay over is welcome to arrive after work on Friday the 9th, and stay until after brunch on Sunday the 11th.

The Guest Suite / Gamer Dormitory is coming along very nicely.  I now have a queen bed (firm), a double-twin Trundle bed, a pull-out full size, and a pull-out queen size (upstairs).  So I can host five on real mattresses.  If we need more, I have two inflatable mattresses and a regular couch.  These lodgings are offered free of charge.

If you prefer more comfort and privacy, there are three hotels with different price points literally within walking distance of my house.

We will coordinate and chip in for food.  We'll make more specific plans once we get a better sense of headcount.  I have three crock pots, which I find very useful and convenient for entertaining groups.

My house is in the suburbs of Albany, NY.  I live about 15-20 minutes east of Proctors, the location of Council of Five Nations.  

I have enough square footage, tables & chairs to accommodate at least 10 concurrent BFW games.  Yes, really.

I'm not going to post this to the Yahoo group, as I don't want to open my home to hordes of strangers.  But anyone who has played Battleground with us at Council, or TotalCon, or DexCon, or Boston Championships, or any of the West Coast folks that Corey can vouch for are welcome.

Please reply here if you're interested in joining us.

ROLL CALL SO FAR
Eric Stolar
Me

-DC
« Last Edit: November 14, 2016, 10:54:05 PM by Dave-SWA »
Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Sept 29 - Oct 1, 2017) - this is our 40th, the Ruby Anniversary.  It will be extra special this year!
www.swa-gaming.org

Kevin

• Administrator
Re: BFW Day at Dave's House, December 10, 2016
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 11:44:20 AM »
Oh man very tempting!  Call me "more-likely-than-not" at the moment and let's see how things shake out.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2016, 04:26:21 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

GoIndy

• Playtester
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 03:20:24 PM »
Actually sounds cool.....too bad I'm like 15 hours away, so won't make it.

And Dave....open your house to strangers!!

Dave-SWA

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016, 05:15:01 PM »
Tim, in opening my house to you, that's about as much strangeness as I can handle!

:D
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Sept 29 - Oct 1, 2017) - this is our 40th, the Ruby Anniversary.  It will be extra special this year!
www.swa-gaming.org

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2016, 11:54:41 PM »
Ron and I will be there!  ;D  We'll leave Boston after dinner Friday evening, and should arrive at your place around 10 pm.  Can I call dibs (for me) on a room with a solitary bed?  (Maybe that upstairs queen-size?)
« Last Edit: November 16, 2016, 10:18:45 AM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Dave-SWA

« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2016, 06:23:25 PM »
Cool beans!
Please tell Blakely she's welcome too.
www.swa-gaming.org

BubblePig

• Shoeless God of War
  • Playtester
  • Y'all are just hating on my steez.
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2016, 04:23:45 PM »
You had me at brunch, Dave *all choked up*  :'( You had me at brunch  :-*
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 04:25:34 PM by BubblePig »

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2016, 05:41:08 PM »
OK, I'm not ignoring this.  Just trying to figure out ways to make this work.  A free weekend smack dab in the middle of the holidays for folks without kids vs. folks with kids is toooooooootaly different.  Still, an effort is being made.  Because this is awesome.
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science

Dave-SWA

« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2016, 07:51:16 PM »
Yes, Eric & I discussed how scheduling between Thanksgiving and Christmas is tough.  Right in the middle of the two holidays is the best we could do.  We don't want to be in January, as that's probably too close to TotalCon.

Scheduling is often difficult.  Sometimes you just gotta pick a date and go with it.

Hope to see many of you in a few weeks.

-DC
www.swa-gaming.org

Ostegun

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2016, 11:05:56 AM »
Stranger danger. I'm trying my best to make this work. Should have a final answer in two weeks. Could my wife come along if I do go? she doesn't play but... she drives the car. That is unless someone can pick me up on the way. I can always pay for gas in... cash XD

By the way out of context setting up a page on myfreesite for my battleground way of life/hobby.

http://ostegunrhal.myfreesites.net/
The bull bears it's horns in hope. Hope to fend off those who would feed on it's love. The love of all the ones who held the wall upon which all memories have been written. Existence fussed to rip and explode the bull into the breach of threat.To scream in all the colors the essence of it's love.

Dave-SWA

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2016, 07:02:38 PM »
Ostegun,

Your wife is welcome to join us if she can tolerate being surrounded by a bunch of gamers.  We can allocate the queen size pull-out to the two of you.

What would she like to do to keep herself occupied?  I can try to plan some stuff to entertain her.  
To keep it off this public discussion, you (or anyone) can email me directly at dave /at/ swa-gaming.org with ideas.

We can also pick you up at the train or bus station if that's a better option for you.  

-DC
« Last Edit: November 21, 2016, 09:05:57 PM by Dave-SWA »
www.swa-gaming.org

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2016, 07:04:51 PM »
Hey Ostegun, where do you live?  (And it'll be fun to meet face-to-face!)

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2016, 11:13:27 PM »
By the way, Blakely thanks you (Dave) for thinking about her, and adds, "It sounds like fun but I've been so busy lately that I'm going to need to say no.   I would definitely love to hear about it after the fact though!"

But she and I are getting in more practice.  Next game is this Friday.  So don't worry about her being too rusty at the tournament.  :)

Ostegun

« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 11:10:55 AM »
I live in Brooklyn, New York. It would be great fun to meet face to face.
Lately my friend Mike has fallen hard for Battleground F/H Warfare.
He would love for more people to join our playing sessions.
We often play at Metropolitan Wargamers.
The bull bears it's horns in hope. Hope to fend off those who would feed on it's love. The love of all the ones who held the wall upon which all memories have been written. Existence fussed to rip and explode the bull into the breach of threat.To scream in all the colors the essence of it's love.

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 12:29:08 PM »
Very cool.  Yeah, I can't help you get there since I'm coming from the east, but a bus to Albany seems like a very simple option.