Author Topic: Using no borders...  (Read 793 times)

gncamama

Using no borders...
« on: October 19, 2016, 02:15:39 PM »
Hi All,

While I understand for the need for borders, I was wondering if the faction and unit costs will still be balanced if played on a map with no borders (except for initial setup area).  It feels weird having formations (especially S&S) using the border to protect their flanks and somewhat constraining for fast units who could otherwise be making flank attacks instead of running head-on into an enemy line.  An immediate change I can see would be more use of fast units and the need to deploy light units to screen one's flanks.

Do you feel there would need to be a surcharge for fast units? Would having no borders unfairly penalize some factions (for instance, high elves don't have a super cheap light unit)?

Gilbert

Kevin

• Playtester
Re: Using no borders...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2016, 04:56:57 PM »
Welcome, Gilbert!

One thing to consider is that on an unlimited map, horse-archers would be unbeatable if they had more "shoot" than their opponents.  Of course, historically that pretty much describes the Mongols.

I agree that it can feel cheesy when a S&S army uses the map as some sort of impenetrable barrier.  One rule which I use in the tournament I run is you can go off the opponent's rear edge.  You still can't go off your own rear edge or the sides, but at least that way if the opponent turtles up in the corner your units can pinch the bejesus out of the whichever one is on that far end.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Ostegun

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2016, 08:28:26 AM »
I have currently played twice with a 6 by 4 table and 2500 pts.

I have to say it was bliss. Really fun. A lot more loose battle lines making for interesting positioning. Light cavalry became a requirement so army composition was affected. Heavy infantry became rare on the second game to allow for more variety. Medium and light infantry took it's place for more flexibility. Light cavalry when up to having at least two units. Range also became slightly more important but was offset by having to maneuver more to evade cavalry movements.

It really felt more realistic and the flow of it seemed much closer to historical battles on the history channel.

You do have to set a turn limit such as 12 turns or 6.

There are just two things to keep in mind. All unit's moved twice their movement speed and all range attacks doubled their distance. Once you did that I felt the game became insane fun and a bit crazy. XD

Cavalry became even more important and also slightly frail due to concentrated range shooting.

If anybody wants to give it a try I'll love feedback XD. Just double move and range for everything. I felt that maneuvering stayed just as important as in normal play. I would call this alternative big table playmode. XD
The bull bears it's horns in hope. Hope to fend off those who would feed on it's love. The love of all the ones who held the wall upon which all memories have been written. Existence fussed to rip and explode the bull into the breach of threat.To scream in all the colors the essence of it's love.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2016, 03:28:01 PM »
The way to balance out a unit like Horse Archers one a larger map is simply to play a Ticking Clock scenario where the game ends after 8 turns.

Go nuts.
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science

Ostegun

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2016, 04:40:11 PM »
I'm nuts and my head is full of nuts. I do not head bang because it drowns out the music. Squirrels love me. XD
The bull bears it's horns in hope. Hope to fend off those who would feed on it's love. The love of all the ones who held the wall upon which all memories have been written. Existence fussed to rip and explode the bull into the breach of threat.To scream in all the colors the essence of it's love.