Author Topic: What are the projected changes for the new "version" of BFW?  (Read 737 times)

joeyeti

What are the projected changes for the new "version" of BFW?
« on: October 11, 2016, 05:02:14 AM »
Hi folks,

I am wondering if there is already enough info on how the "new edition" of BFW will look like rules-wise?

Shall I presume there will mostly be erratas, some rule corrections and tweaks?
Or is the system tackled in a more forceful manner with more substantial changes?

Moreover, will the existing printings be "upgradable" to the new system (via an Errata sheet etc.)?

Kevin

• Administrator
Re: What are the projected changes for the new "version" of BFW?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2016, 06:46:29 AM »
There's not much there there at this point.  As a Rules Team member, I haven't seen any discussion on a wholesale rewrite, just a few errata and some continual debate as to whether to change unit prices. 

One little fantasy of mine is to have a beginners rule book where the rules are simpler and vaguer in order to fit the game rules into one of those little booklets, telling people to go to this website to download the full rules for free.  But that would take a lot of time to do right and I'm not offering.  ;)
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Gabbi

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2016, 11:26:01 AM »
One little fantasy of mine is to have a beginners rule book where the rules are simpler
It was kinda of this way, in the beginning, with simpler rules in starter decks and advanced rules in reinforcement decks.

joeyeti

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2016, 04:45:12 AM »
The idea of Simple + Advanced Rules (as it was in the original boxes, say Hawkshold) is a good one IMO. But indeed, it would be a lot of work I guess.

joeyeti

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2016, 04:45:04 AM »
Just been reading the ancient 2.2 rulebook and right at the beginning it has 1 (!) page of "Quickstart" rules. True this is a bare-bones treatment and does not say anything about using Unit/Army Abilities or any maneuvers and such.

I presume the "Beginner's" rulebook would neeed more than that...

The only question is whether this would require for each Faction to have a page of simplified unit abilities to go along the Beginner's rulebook (tweaked versions of the "full" unit/army abilities sans the terms like "Post-route Free Effects", if you know what I mean :). This could perhaps be a download due to the differencies between Factions.

The other question is, where would be the line of (not) including rules and maneuvers?
Would the Beginner's rulebook cover nearly all maneuvers, but in a simplified manner?
Or would only some basic maneuvers be included to greatly simplify decision-making?