Author Topic: Championship 2017 Feb 25-26 at Totalcon, Marlborough MA.  (Read 4298 times)

Ostegun

Re: Championship 2017 Feb 25-26 at Totalcon, Marlborough MA.
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 11:24:35 AM »
Sadly I won't be there this year as Markus said real life is keeping me slightly down.
I am so going next year though  >:( >:( >:(

Got a few more people to try out Battleground at my club. XD hopefully next year their will be a few new bloods to slaughter.

The bull bears it's horns in hope. Hope to fend off those who would feed on it's love. The love of all the ones who held the wall upon which all memories have been written. Existence fussed to rip and explode the bull into the breach of threat.To scream in all the colors the essence of it's love.

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #16 on: February 17, 2017, 12:43:05 PM »
Sadly I won't be there this year as Markus said real life is keeping me slightly down.
I am so going next year though  >:( >:( >:(

Got a few more people to try out Battleground at my club. XD hopefully next year their will be a few new bloods to slaughter.

Yes Ostegun, you will be missed at this event.  Thanks for showing this game to other folks.  It is appreciated.

See you soon.
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

BubblePig

« Reply #17 on: February 17, 2017, 07:13:48 PM »
Wow, thanks for the heads up, Dave. Just preregistered. Now all I need to do is figure out how soon I can head down and then get enough cash, ice, beer, and snacks.

Edit: I think I can be there around 3 in the afternoon Friday. Anyone else gonna be there that early?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 07:45:19 PM by BubblePig »

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #18 on: February 17, 2017, 09:45:36 PM »
Brook and I should most definitely be.
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science

Dave-SWA

• The Schenectady Wargamers Association
« Reply #19 on: February 18, 2017, 09:32:14 AM »
I will arrive some time on Friday, but I'm not planning on doing much/any gaming.  I'll have dinner with an old high school buddy Friday evening, and fuel up for BFW action all day Saturday.

While the change of hotels means I can get to the con site a little faster, he actually lives south of Mansfield, so I need to drive farther to meet him.
Pros & cons...

See you guys in six or seven days.

-DC
Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Sept 29 - Oct 1, 2017) - this is our 40th, the Ruby Anniversary.  It will be extra special this year!
www.swa-gaming.org

Mexico

• Playtester
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2017, 11:06:05 AM »
I forgot to pre-register, but I will totally be there! Looking forward to tangling with you guys!

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2017, 02:28:24 PM »
Sorry, I'm building a wall to keep Mexico away...
-Rush, Natural Science

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2017, 08:11:29 PM »
 :D

By the way, tomorrow I plan to post the official rounds and what they look like.  (Don't expect anything but minor changes relative to the last couple of years.)
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Dave-SWA

« Reply #23 on: February 20, 2017, 09:27:12 AM »
Sorry, I'm building a wall to keep Mexico away...

That is funny!
Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Sept 29 - Oct 1, 2017) - this is our 40th, the Ruby Anniversary.  It will be extra special this year!
www.swa-gaming.org

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #24 on: February 20, 2017, 02:35:01 PM »
Here's the schedule!  Game 1 starts at 10:00 am sharp on Saturday.

Game 1:  1950 points, (4 CAs 4 Core 2 Elite) Ticking Clock, Terrain.

Game 2:  2200 points, (4CAs, 4 Core, 2 Elite), Total Warfare, Open Map, Night battle. (= Secret-and-simultaneous deployment and ranged attacks have a maximum range of 7".) + 1 other Special Situation.

Game 3:  1800 (3 CAs, 3 Core, 1 Elite), Total Warfare, Terrain, Special Situation.

Game 4:  2050 points (4CAs, 4 Core, 2 Elite), Total Warfare, Terrain, Special Package Bid #1.  (See downthread.)

Semifinals (10am Sunday):  Ticking Clock, 2000, Terrain, Special Package Bid #2 (See downthread.)

Finals:  2000 Terrain, Total Warfare  (In the finals game 5 pieces of terrain will be offered, with each player making 2 vetoes.)

Sunday Swiss also starts 10am Sunday.

---------------

Special Package #1 (Saturday Round 4): 
You get the following:

1) Card Neutralization.  Take three neutralization tokens.  During the combat phase, when the opponent plays a command card you may use a token to cancel the combat-related effects of that card; the card is still played and the opponent may not play a card in its place. (Non-combat effects remain in place.  So for example if a Dwarf plays Rune of Protection and you cancel it they lose the defensive skill but keep the +3 courage.)

Playing a neutralization token counts as playing a command card, except that you may play it on any unit in play regardless of whether cards normally could be played on it and do not have to pitch cards to play this.  Note that if you have played a card in this phase you can't play a neutralization token.  (e.g. if your play Strike and your opponent plays Mettle you can't then neutralize it since you already played a card.)

b)  War Plans:  Before the game, pull up to 10 command cards out of your deck and set them aside.  These cards go unused for the duration of the game.  (Rule 1.3.2.3, that you must discard (or play) down to no more than 1/2 your command card deck before drawing new cards, still applies.)

Your opponent gets the following:
- Experienced Troops:  You get one bonus Command Action per turn, which may only be spent on Direct Control.

------------------------------
Special Package #2 (Sunday morning Semifinals)

1)  Guest Units:  Up to 400 points of your army may be units from another faction.  These units may be Core or Standard only, and function under the following rules:
a)   Guest Units:  Choose one other fantasy faction if you're playing a fantasy faction; or a historical faction if you're playing a historical faction.  This choice must be announced before army build.  You may put up to 400 points ( = 1/5 your total army cost) of guest units in your own army, though no one guest unit may cost over 300 points.  Some special rules: 
- These units are treated as your own units, not mercenaries.  So you may play your faction Command Cards on them as if they were your own units.  (Obviously if a unit is pitch-to-play then it's still pitch-to-play.)  Also, Core guest units count toward your meeting Core.
- The guest units use their own faction ability/abilities, not your own.  For example, if you're playing Orcs and you take Umenzi Warriors as a guest unit, then spending a Command Action on them gives them Faith Armor still, and your Umenzi Warriors can not be Lashed.   
- Army-Wide abilities that come with your guest units can not be used.  For example, taking Carthaginian Guest units does not let you take Foresight, and Persian Guest units does not let you take Satrap Armies  (Though in those cases you can do Determination and Kings Favor respectively.) Pre-bought faction abilities (e.g. Dark Elf Premeditation) normally used on specific units may be used on the guest units.
- The units do not treat your "home army" units as their own type.  So for example Umenzi High Priests could throw Hexes and Death Curses at the opponents, but Blesses and Healing will not work on your other units, except of course on your other Umenzi guest units.  Triarii will still back up multiple units, but don't give non-Roman units the extra attack die.

2)  Best of Both Worlds:  Choose one Command Card from your own faction, and one from the opponent's faction.  You start the game with these in your hand.  The opponent's command card functions on your own units as though you were its faction.  (Though some won't work.  e.g. the Undead card that gives free points for Reanimation is useless since your units can't be Reanimated.)  Once played, the opponent card goes into the opponent's discard pile.

3)  Mulligans.  Gain two re-roll tokens. These may be played on any combat role by either you or the opponent, except that they do not count as command cards.  Note that they can not be used when a card has been played saying "These dice can not be re-rolled."

4)  Easy Inspiration:  Command cards purchased pre-game cost 18 points each rather than 25, though you are limited to five.  As usual, these cards are random and come from your deck only.

Your opponent gains the following:

Sure thing:  After deployment, mark 2 units.  Whenever each of these units is engaged and does zero damage in an attack, it instead does 1 damage.  This effect happens after any similar effect (e.g. Carthage's Determination), but before damage prevention.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2017, 10:37:57 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: February 20, 2017, 06:57:12 PM »
Thanks!

Special Package #2 (Sunday morning Semifinals)

1)  Guest Units: Up to 400 points of your army may be units from another faction.  These units may be Core or Standard only, and function under the following rules:
a)   Guest Units:  Choose one other fantasy faction if you're playing a fantasy faction; or a historical faction if you're playing a historical faction.  This choice must be announced before army build.  You may put up to 666 points ( = 1/3 your total army cost) of guest units in your own army, though no one guest unit may cost over 333 points.

So do you get up to 400 or 666 points worth of guest units?
-Rush, Natural Science

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #26 on: February 20, 2017, 07:21:50 PM »
Oops.  :(   400.  Fixed above!

And the max. price of any one unit is 300 now, not 333.

BubblePig

« Reply #27 on: February 20, 2017, 08:05:44 PM »
I am trying to decide whether I would rather have Sure Thing with lizard men or dark elves.

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #28 on: February 20, 2017, 08:46:43 PM »
How many core is needed in round one?  3 or 4?
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #29 on: February 20, 2017, 10:08:46 PM »
4.  (Also 4 CAs, 2 Elite). 

Fixed above.