Author Topic: Base Dice, Charging, Swords, Spears, And Crossbows  (Read 497 times)

Fingolfin

• Playtester
  • A Elbereth Gilthoniel!
Base Dice, Charging, Swords, Spears, And Crossbows
« on: July 19, 2016, 03:25:52 PM »
3.2.3.2.1 Charging
When units initially make contact, they will sometimes rush
towards each other, their momentum lending strength to their
initial attacks. In Battleground, a unit is charging if it has the
Close standing order, was not engaged at the start of the turn, and
is attacking to its front. A Charging units get (+2) +0/+0 if they
have at least 4 base attack dice when engaged. Otherwise they get
(+1) +0/+0.
A unit’s base attack dice are the number of attack dice the unit
gets while engaged and charging, modified only by a unit being
in the yellow or red
(3.2.3.1.1). No other modifiers (e.g. command
cards, spells, special rules like Blood Frenzy) affect the unit’s base
dice.
(Emphasis Mine)

According to this rule, spearmen in the red charge with 5 dice (4+2-1) while swordsmen in red charge with only 4 dice (3+1). I don't think that was the intent. More seriously, crossbowmen in green only charge with 6 dice (3+1+2) which I also think is counter to the intent of the rule. Assuming that spears, swords, and crossbowmen should all charge with the same number of dice in all health colors, may I suggest that dice modifiers on the card also affect base dice? Or we could just make the charge bonus +2 dice even.

P.S. I believe that Persian Cavalry is also affected having 7 dice (3+1+3) instead of the normal 8.
'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!'

Kevin

• Administrator
Re: Base Dice, Charging, Swords, Spears, And Crossbows
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 03:47:37 PM »
The rules currently cover this situation, though I'll concede that the wording could be clearer:

"A unit’s base attack dice are the number of attack dice the unit gets while engaged and charging,"

That means that the Spearmen's -1 dice while charging is already taken into account, as is Crossbowmen's +2 dice when engaged.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Fingolfin

• Playtester
  • A Elbereth Gilthoniel!
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 04:27:45 PM »
In that case, can we change the wording? Because the "modified only by a unit being in the yellow or red" makes it sound like the -1 die modifier doesn't apply.
'Utúlie'n aurë! Aiya Eldalië ar Atanatári, utúlie'n aurë! The day has come! Behold, people of the Eldar and Fathers of Men, the day has come!'

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 07:03:40 PM »
A fair point.  Getting the wording right is tricky, because, for example, Lizardmen Blood Frenzy (which isn't supposed to count) is printed on the card, so saying "Only use modifiers printed on the card" won't cut it.

Let me just state for the record that I always wanted the charge bonus to be based on unit type--no ambiguity there.  But I lost that fight; perhaps someone who supported the current wording will care to tweak it.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 07:11:28 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Ostegun

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 10:25:40 PM »
When teaching the game I use the rule that when a moral check is failed the unit is taken of the board. It speeds up the game for first time players A LOT.

Warning this is fun but highly unbalanced, only for crazy times or real lethal gaming:Double speed and range of all units. Limit the number of cavalry and range units.
The bull bears it's horns in hope. Hope to fend off those who would feed on it's love. The love of all the ones who held the wall upon which all memories have been written. Existence fussed to rip and explode the bull into the breach of threat.To scream in all the colors the essence of it's love.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2017, 02:31:05 PM »
Well, yeah!  That would certainly speed up the game.  Just avoid Ghoul Packs like the plague.
"So much poison in power, the principals get left out
So much mind under matter, the spirit gets forgotten about"
-Rush, Half The World