Author Topic: Council of Five Nations XXXIX September 23-25, 2016  (Read 9284 times)

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
Council of Five Nations XXXIX September 23-25, 2016
« on: July 19, 2016, 02:49:02 PM »
Council specific details: http://www.swa-gaming.org/council

Battleground specific details:

Friday
Open Play with a large team game (most likely) at night
home brew faction will be allowed on Friday only.  You are encouraged to have printed proxies if you want to play your home brew against other players.

Sat & Sun
Siege of Hawkshold
The kingdom of Hawkshold has grown rich and prosperous due to years of peace with it's neighboring kingdoms.  However in this time of peace they have also grown lax and a powerful warlord has banded together the Wildmen and Half Orc tribes to form a formidable army.  Spurred on with promises of plunder the warlords forces prepare to march on Hawkshold.  The start of the war looms and The kingdom of Hawkshold has sent messengers to all of the neighboring lands to seek help in their time of need.  The warlord's spies having learned of this have dispatched their own messengers.

You are a renowned general and messengers from both sides have made their way to your homestead:
The messenger from Hawkshold brings word of the Kings offer to pay you from their vast treasury should you successfully lend your forces to aid them.  
The messenger from the warlord's army offers a share of the plunder should you successfully lend your forces to aid them.  
Who's plea for help will you answer?

Nitty Gritty:
Okay so You will choose any faction other than Hawkshold or Monsters and Mercenaries.  You will then pick a side to play for.  Defend the kingdom alongside the brave Hawkshold soldiers or join in with the pillage alongside the invading Mercenary army of half orcs and wildmen.
While preference of side will be given consideration we will also make sure to evenly split teams so please try and be flexible if we ask you to switch.

There will be 4 rounds planned for Saturday & 2 rounds for Sunday.
Each round will have a very specific and unique scenario.  
Round 1 will be individual games
Round 2 will be team games (subject to change [this depends heavily on the number of attendees])
Round 3 will be individual games again
Round 4 will be individual games

The first 3 rounds will be a build up to the 4th round on Saturday.  Each victory will potentially give you mini bonuses towards the 4th round.
The 4th round on Saturday will decide the direction for the reaming games on Sunday.  There will be 3 distinct possibilities resulting from Saturdays 4th game.

Sunday will have 2 rounds to wrap up the campaign.
Sunday Round 1 will be individual games and low points. (quick)
Sunday Round 2 This will also be individual games but with a unique twist that plays off your teammates.

Most rounds will use a slightly modified* version of the ticking clock rules.  
*Only specific objective will be worth extra points and terrain/deployment zones will not be worth points unless stated otherwise

PLEASE NOTE:
While Hawkshold and M&M can not be played as your primary faction please make sure you bring them with you for the event (if you own them obviously).  Also please bring any terrain packs you have.

BUT BUT I want to play Hawks / M&M, you've ruined my weekend...
Fear not as whichever side you play will allow you to recruit that armies units into your army.  Their will be restrictions on this but you will get to use units from that faction.

Saturday will have a soft start time of 10-11 ish.
Sunday will be a HARD 10 am start so we can get done at a decent time.
What I mean by this is you should be ready to start the first turn by 10 am on Sunday so please try and show up by 9:30.  
I know I can already hear the whining but I want to make sure anyone that wants to has time to play in Sundays games, if we make sure we start on time this should be possible.

We will be using Kevin's set of rules developed for the Championship.
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BY6C-rpw-5lB8xfDodOce_GXiM9MyDuiSOPhLtjUahI
With the following exceptions:

completely ignore the rules found in each of these sections:
mercenaries, Digging In, Selecting Terrain/Special Situations, Three player-games

And replace Special Judge Rules with
I am the final arbiter of all game-related rules and situations.  If I am in the game in question I will clearly rule in my favor, otherwise I will rule in whatever way benefits the person on my team the most.
Okay sorry bad joke.  This isn't the championship so anyone is free to assist in answering rules questions.

« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 04:09:42 PM by NegativeZer0 »
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

Kevin

• Playtester
Re: Council of Five Nations XXXIX September 23-25, 2016
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2016, 01:37:41 PM »
Just so you know I'm visible, I already told Marcus & Dave privately, but for the first time in years I can't make it.  :-\  My half-brother is getting married in Vermont that weekend.  I'll be back in 2017 of course, and hopefully will see folks at Championship.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

BubblePig

« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 07:03:49 PM »
I don't know whether I will be done tweaking my faction by then. I am probably going to do a major rework on a few units. But I really wonder if there is even a small chance anyone would play my faction. I would be happy to be proven wrong, but it almost seems as if you could ban homebrew factions with very similar results.

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2016, 07:17:20 PM »
I would've played it.   :-\  Really, really like the Chaos red-box mechanism!
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 10:45:59 AM »
I would've played it.   :-\  Really, really like the Chaos red-box mechanism!

I like it too.  What I don't like is when he can play it against a unit both with an ability and a command card.  It's especially bad against units with small health bars such as cavalry.  There was a situation when I played against his faction and I had Alexander.  He zapped my Companion Cavalry twice on one turn and took a unit that only took one damage on the charge and took all of his green boxes away.  It still didn't matter because my Foot Companions were just freakin' awesome.

That being said, I thought that all of the homebrews had promise. The Egyptians, The Chaos Lords, and The Amazons.
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

BubblePig

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 01:26:05 PM »
Yeah, using that ability twice on one turn is on my short list of things to dial back the power of the faction if necessary, and at its worst you should only be able to do it twice if you do two damage. But rewording that is a pretty minor rework compared to replacing/redesigning the units.

Dave-SWA

• The Schenectady Wargamers Association
    • The Schenectady Wargamers Association
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2016, 09:29:35 PM »
Glad to see the discussion going already.  Thank you to Eric for starting it up.

I am happy to make the Amazon faction available to anyone who wants to play it on Saturday & Sunday.

More soon,
-DC
Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Sept 29 - Oct 1, 2017) - this is our 40th, the Ruby Anniversary.  It will be extra special this year!
www.swa-gaming.org

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2016, 12:50:54 PM »
I've been working on my Fey faction and I will be bringing it to Council.   Don't worry Dave, there are no more Elf units in the faction.   ;D :D ;D

« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 04:08:14 PM by gornhorror »

Mexico

• Playtester
« Reply #8 on: August 04, 2016, 07:54:50 AM »
I'll be there this year!

And I can bring a fresh print run of my Gnome faction, too...

BubblePig

« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2016, 07:25:02 PM »
How upset would people be if I limited home brew to Friday only?
Not very.

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2016, 08:33:39 PM »
How upset would people be if I limited home brew to Friday only?

I wouldn't weep
"You can never break the chain - There is never love without pain
A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart
A healing hand, as secret touch on the heart"
-Rush, Secret Touch

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2016, 09:22:44 PM »
Yeah, I'm for playing published factions on Saturday and Sunday.

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2016, 12:15:14 AM »
Okay - we will indeed restrict home brew to Friday only.

Please note:

While Hawkshold and M&M can not be played as your primary faction please make sure you bring them with you for the event (if you own them obviously)
Also please bring any terrain packs you have.  This has been added to the primary post.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2016, 12:37:48 PM by NegativeZer0 »
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #13 on: September 02, 2016, 04:16:03 PM »
OK, events page on the site has been updated!

http://www.yourmovegames.com/#!events/c10g1
"You can never break the chain - There is never love without pain
A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart
A healing hand, as secret touch on the heart"
-Rush, Secret Touch

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #14 on: September 02, 2016, 08:18:26 PM »
OK, events page on the site has been updated!

http://www.yourmovegames.com/#!events/c10g1

Man I don't know how you managed to make so many typos "a powerful warlord has banded together the Wilman and Hal Orc tribes" considering it looks like you copied and pasted the post I made that was totally not misspelled when you copied it and totally not just now corrected.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 08:20:29 PM by NegativeZer0 »