Author Topic: Dual Faction Play  (Read 1102 times)

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Dual Faction Play
« on: June 08, 2016, 02:06:54 PM »
Brook had this wacky idea for a game where each player controlled 2 factions.  We gave it a whirl and it turned out to not only be really fun, but it wasn’t as big of a pain in the tookus as I thought it would be.  Here’s the rules:

1 – Each player chooses 2 factions.  They may use all available units from both factions.
2 –All Core units from both factions count towards satisfying Core requirements.  At least 1 Core unit from both factions must be used. 
3 – Faction specific abilities can only be used on their respective factions.  A player using Undead and Orcs cannot Lash Undead units or Reanimate Orc units.
4 – Each player uses all 10 faction specific command cards from BOTH faction decks, but only 1 set of the 20 standard command cards (like Strike and Fumble) in their command deck.  So each player has a 40 card command deck (10 cards from Faction A + 10 cards from Faction B + 20 standard command cards).  Yes, card covers will most likely be needed for the command decks.
5 – To play a faction specific command card on an allied unit you must first discard a command card.  So in order to play a Dwarven Rune card on an Indian Elephant, you’d have to pitch a card first.  We would later learn that we’d need to refine this when cards like Second Wave, Uncommon Valor, and Wave of Terror came up.

I have a game report in the works for a game we played using this variation last month.  It was pretty fun.
"Chase the Sun around the World I want to look at life
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light

Kevin

Re: Dual Faction Play
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 02:59:47 PM »
I like it!  The pitch-to-play rule ensures that you'll take a good number of units from both factions.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

BubblePig

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 05:00:14 PM »
*imagines self playing devotion of transference on Gothmaug*

BubblePig

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 05:05:56 PM »
Seriously, though, this sounds like a fun variant I would give a whirl in a cold minute and I might even refrain from trying to break it Tim-Sheehy-style.