Author Topic: Dual Faction Play  (Read 1007 times)

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Dual Faction Play
« on: June 08, 2016, 02:06:54 PM »
Brook had this wacky idea for a game where each player controlled 2 factions.  We gave it a whirl and it turned out to not only be really fun, but it wasn’t as big of a pain in the tookus as I thought it would be.  Here’s the rules:

1 – Each player chooses 2 factions.  They may use all available units from both factions.
2 –All Core units from both factions count towards satisfying Core requirements.  At least 1 Core unit from both factions must be used. 
3 – Faction specific abilities can only be used on their respective factions.  A player using Undead and Orcs cannot Lash Undead units or Reanimate Orc units.
4 – Each player uses all 10 faction specific command cards from BOTH faction decks, but only 1 set of the 20 standard command cards (like Strike and Fumble) in their command deck.  So each player has a 40 card command deck (10 cards from Faction A + 10 cards from Faction B + 20 standard command cards).  Yes, card covers will most likely be needed for the command decks.
5 – To play a faction specific command card on an allied unit you must first discard a command card.  So in order to play a Dwarven Rune card on an Indian Elephant, you’d have to pitch a card first.  We would later learn that we’d need to refine this when cards like Second Wave, Uncommon Valor, and Wave of Terror came up.

I have a game report in the works for a game we played using this variation last month.  It was pretty fun.
"We are young wandering the face of the Earth
Wondering what our dreams might be worth
Learning that we're only immortal for a limited time"
-Rush, Dreamline

Kevin

Re: Dual Faction Play
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2016, 02:59:47 PM »
I like it!  The pitch-to-play rule ensures that you'll take a good number of units from both factions.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

BubblePig

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2016, 05:00:14 PM »
*imagines self playing devotion of transference on Gothmaug*

BubblePig

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2016, 05:05:56 PM »
Seriously, though, this sounds like a fun variant I would give a whirl in a cold minute and I might even refrain from trying to break it Tim-Sheehy-style.