Author Topic: Dexcon 19 in Morristown New Jersey July 1-3  (Read 7560 times)

Kevin

Re: Dexcon 19 in Morristown New Jersey July 1-3
« Reply #30 on: July 05, 2016, 04:53:38 PM »
Thanks for the details!  Too bad Marcus didn't get more games in, but it sounds like a good time.  Congrats Brook on the spotless string of victories in solo play.  And go Catherine! 

It's Monday morning quarterbacking, but IMHO it would've been nice to have seen Dave, Ron, and Eric do a 3-way trade and play each other's factions.

Marcus and I are going to try to make the tournament fall on a date that is NOT the 4th of July holiday weekend to make it more convenient for all.

Hooray!  :D
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

BubblePig

« Reply #31 on: July 05, 2016, 05:49:27 PM »
Ron was also kind enough to play Hawks against Rylan's High Elves.  Rylan won but let the record show that Ron was spotting him 400 points  :P
That is not strictly true. It was close to 400 points but less than 399. I had 4 units of swordsmen and 3 of greatswordsmen for a total 1601 points and Rylan had less than 2000 points of units.  :P
When it was suggested that I spot him 500 points I ungallantly counteroffered to spot him 400 and then did not even keep that part of the bargain.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 05:51:33 PM by BubblePig »

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2016, 08:35:33 AM »
No worries Ron, so you spotted him about 390 points...

Kevin, I did get a couple of pick up games in against Brook Friday morning/afternoon.  The first game was my Romans vs. his High Elves.  We where trying out one of Brook's variations of Oathbound and he had a turn where he had to roll 4(!) route checks.  Clearly the original Oathbound would have been a boss card right there.  He failed 3 of those checks and surrendered the game.  IIRC at least one of those rolls would have failed even with the +2 courage.  They where bad.  I honestly can't remember what we played for the second game though I feel I may have played Orcs.  Is that a bad thing that I can't remember?
"Chase the Sun around the World I want to look at life
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light

gornhorror

• Rules Team
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #33 on: July 06, 2016, 11:39:23 AM »
I really can't remember either.  I just know that I was in a rout check failin' mood on Friday.  This just strengthens my feeling on the High Elves needing a rock star of a courage command card.  13 courage across the board is good, but you are still taking checks at a 12 and probably will fail more often that you think.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2016, 11:42:13 AM by gornhorror »
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

Kevin

« Reply #34 on: July 06, 2016, 06:33:38 PM »
I had 4 units of swordsmen and 3 of greatswordsmen for a total 1601 points and Rylan had less than 2000 points of units.

That's an amazingly solid army for its cost.  Greatswordsmen should be able to take on anything except for Elder Blade Swordsmen (where they still have a chance) and the Celestial Guard.  Regular Swordsmen should beat BattleSquads more often than not.  Sure, somewhere it's going to suck, but one High Elf rout check blown early on and you could roll the line.  Well done...and well done to Rylan for beating that!

Glad you got in some gaming, Marcus!  I did the unselfish thing for the first 3 years of Championship, but at some point went "Screw that!"  :)
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 02:25:27 PM »
OK, pics are finally up!  Sorry it took so long folks!

Friday night big game

Rules Question concerning high ground and shorelines

Saturday games

My son Rylan(10) taking on Brook's daugher Catherine(14)

Ron vs. Brook

Eric vs. Ron

Brook vs. Dave

Saturday night big game - Brook (orcs) and I (Wuxing) vs. Ron (Undead) and Dave Dwarves)

Sunday Games

Ron Vs. Rylan

Ron (Chaos) vs. Myself

Misc

An Orc!

Goodies for sale

Saturday night killed Brook.  Apparently winning all of your games with Ravenwood knocks a fella out.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg45/RushAss/BG%202016/Dexcon2016/20160703_000700_zpsf5q95hwl.jpg

Kevin look away! Dave told us about this Portugese BBQ place behind the Hotel and we all took part in what could only be called a shameful meatfest throughout the weenend.  Before you is a SINGLE platter of meat-kabobs complete with steak, sausage, onions, and peppers on a bed of rice.  I had to sleep that shit off big time.

http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg45/RushAss/BG%202016/Dexcon2016/portugese_bbq_zpsgqh2v1ul.jpg
"Chase the Sun around the World I want to look at life
In the available light"
-Rush, Available Light