Author Topic: Dexcon 19 in Morristown New Jersey July 1-3  (Read 6358 times)

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Dexcon 19 in Morristown New Jersey July 1-3
« on: April 06, 2016, 04:29:46 PM »
OK kids, it's that time of the year again!  Brook and I will be putting on a Battleground: Fantasy/Historical Warfare event or two together for Dexcon this year at the Morristown Hyatt & Conference Center in Morristown, New Jersey.  We'll be be there Friday July 1st - Sunday July 3rd.  FYI the convention itself starts before then, we just won't get our lazy butts there until Friday  :P

http://www.dexposure.com/dexcon19.html

We're still working out ideas as to exactly what we'll do.  Here's some of them:

1 - A Saturday Swiss tournament with finals held on Sunday like we've done in the past.  Note that we need a decent amount of people will be in attendance to pull this off.

2 - A mixed army event where each player selects two factions.  Units from both factions may be used in a game with Core status being satisfied by Core units from each faction.  The faction specific command cards from BOTH factions are shuffled into the command deck.  We'll refine this idea as the convention gets closer if there is reasonable interest.

3 - A standard campaign event where players select two factions.  During a game, they may play either one faction or the other, but not both as per #2 above.

4 - A "From the Ground Up" campaign similar to the one I ran Friday night at TotalCon.  It's basically a combination of a loose Swiss style tournament and a mini version of a Kingdoms campaign where players are limited in their unit selection in the initial rounds but more unit types become available to them in the later rounds.

Any thoughts on any of these?

Big Game!

Last year we didn't initially offer a big game event and The Dexcon organizers where so enthused by past big game events that they insisted we offer one.  So we did so.  This year we are definitely going to have one.  Odds are that it will be a Friday night event but it may also happen Saturday.  If you haven't seen one yet, big games at Dexcon look like this

and this

and this

I'll post updates here as the convention approaches.
"You can never break the chain - There is never love without pain
A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart
A healing hand, as secret touch on the heart"
-Rush, Secret Touch

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
Re: Dexcon 19 in Morristown New Jersey July 1-3
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2016, 08:10:56 AM »
I would prefer a more casual format since we normally don't get the turnout to warrant a tournament.
(AKA: anything but 1)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2016, 08:16:42 AM by NegativeZer0 »
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2016, 11:21:07 AM »
At this point I'm leaning heavily on a casual format.  Stay tuned!
-Rush, Secret Touch

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2016, 12:45:57 PM »
So who's seriously thinking about making the Battleground event at this con?   Just want to get an idea about attendance.

Where's this shade, that you got it made?

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2016, 12:07:51 AM »
still planning to be there
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

Dave-SWA

• The Schenectady Wargamers Association
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2016, 10:16:26 AM »
I'm 75% likely to make it.

Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Sept 29 - Oct 1, 2017) - this is our 40th, the Ruby Anniversary.  It will be extra special this year!
www.swa-gaming.org

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2016, 10:48:49 AM »
Thanks guys.  Good to hear.

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2016, 09:33:02 PM »
OK, the events have been posted. 

Friday night 8:00 - 12:00:  Big time brawl game(s).  6 or less players will be one game.  More than 7 will be 2 games.

Saturday 10:00 am - Sunday 3:00:  Free form tournament.  Choose your faction and play as many games as you like.  Prizes* for the top 2 records.  Note that this time around there is NO finals tree.  You can just keep playing till your eyes fall out and they need to drag you off home.

I'll provide more updates as time goes on.

*Nothing spectacular since I get laid off 2 weeks ago, but it's the thought that counts!
-Rush, Secret Touch

BubblePig

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2016, 10:13:41 PM »
I somehow confused June and July. :P I am not promising anything, but this might be more doable for me this year than I was thinking. Also, I am hoping fortune smiles on you during your recent vicissitude, Marcus.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 10:20:07 PM by BubblePig »

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2016, 12:07:38 AM »
Thanks Ron!
-Rush, Secret Touch

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2016, 12:46:36 PM »
It's good to hear that Ron might make it.  Besides I still owe him lunch.  There's a couple of descent places to eat right outside DexCon.

Pssst......if you do come, don't play the Umenzi.......:)  Just kidding.....no I'm not.....no really, just kidding.  ;D

Dave-SWA

« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2016, 09:36:35 AM »
Reminder:

Pre-Reg for DexCon closes at midnight on Sunday (June 26th).

Pre-Reg cost for the whole weekend is $60. 
I think the cost might go up to $75 if you register onsite?... (memory hazy)

Link:

http://www.dexposure.com/dexcon19i.html

See you there,
-DC

Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Sept 29 - Oct 1, 2017) - this is our 40th, the Ruby Anniversary.  It will be extra special this year!
www.swa-gaming.org

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2016, 01:19:15 PM »
Good to see that Dave is coming.  My eldest daughter even said to me a couple of weeks ago when I reminded her about the tournament, "Is that guy Dave coming again?"  I told her that this time he might not play the Amazons vs. your Lizardmen. :)

Well anyways my two daughters are coming.  Not sure if my youngest will actually play in the tournament but Catherine(my oldest) is going to.  I've been trying to play games with her to get her to be more proficient.  She knows the basics and is getting better with tactics.  I think she is going to stick with the Lizardmen, but you never know.

See you all in about 9 days...

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2016, 11:53:07 AM »
Hi there folks!  My apologies for not posting much up to this point.  I've been wrestling with a combination of my kids end of school activities and my current unemployment situation.

Anyhoo, we're keeping it loose for the Saturday-Sunday event.  I'm allowing each player to select TWO factions to play for the weekend.  When players match up they secretly write down their faction selection before the scenario and terrain are established.  The reason I am doing this is because I know a few players may be interested in playing home brew factions.  Now we may have a few younger players with us this year as well as a newbie or two.  I am requesting that these folks play against released factions.  I don't want players with 3 games total experience having to deal with proxies having faction abilities, command cards, and other stuff that they are totally unfamiliar with when they have a tenuous grasp on the game.  Note that ANY player not wishing to play against a home brew does not have to do so.  Hence the two factions.  You can have the released faction as a back up.  Of course the more experienced players may be willing to play against the home brew factions.  I for one am willing.  Just do me a favor and make sure you have your proxies and command cards printed in advance so we can spend more time playing and less time setting up.  

Now if you want to just ride with a single faction all weekend you can also do that.  You are not required to select 2 factions if you don't want to.  Just understand that once you've made your selection, you're stuck with it.  I for one am going exclusively with Wuxing for the event.  Of course if you want to test your home brew in an "unofficial" context, I'd be happy to play anything you'd want me to  :)

And for anyone that's interested, we'll be arriving between 10:00 and 11:00 Friday morning and setting up our area.  So while there is no scheduled Battleground event until 8:00 pm, we'll be kibitzing and playing pick up games throughout the day.

We're looking forward to seeing you!
« Last Edit: June 27, 2016, 11:59:03 AM by RushAss »
-Rush, Secret Touch

Moose

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2016, 06:51:31 AM »
Have fun. Wish I could be there, but have to work all weekend  >:(.