Author Topic: Lords of Vlachold vs. Undead at 1500 points  (Read 2049 times)

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Lords of Vlachold vs. Undead at 1500 points
« on: April 06, 2016, 03:42:57 PM »
I was able to get a quick game in with Chris before we commenced with one of our chaotic big games sessions.  Chris had never played against the faction before so we decided to keep it simple and went with 1500 points each and no terrain.  Chris chose his ever trusty Undead because he likes to play with dead things.  Perhaps a bit too much…

As things turned out, I went first.

Set Up

Like a big weenie I forgot to snap a picture of the set up.  This was taken on my 1st turn after movement, before Chris’ turn.  I’ll list my deployment how it was before the game began.  You should be able to figure it out easily enough.

Undead played by Chris
From left to right:
Skeleton Trolls in front of Skeleton Cavalry
Skeleton Trolls
Ghoul Pack
Ghoul Pack
Ghoul Pack
Zombie Trolls

Lords of Vlachold played by myself
From left to right:
Voynik Thralls
Voynik Swordsmen
Voynik Crossbowmen
Voynik Swordsmen in front of Voivode Knights
Voynik Thralls
Voynik Swordsmen

Standing Orders
I may be wrong here, but I’m pretty sure all Undead units where on a standard Close standing order.  Normally I’d peel the left side of my line back but for the most part I was going for the smash up derby style of play and you can see the close objectives for both Thralls and the Swordsmen on the right represented by the beads.  The crux of the plan was to have the Voivodes blow up a Ghoul Pack in the center of the Undead line and then commence the Voivode death ride.

Early Turns

Our guys marched towards their objectives.  Chris saw the writing on the wall and used direct control to slide a Ghoul Pack to the left, behind the advancing Zombie Trolls.  Now I was really wanting the Voivodes to smash into that Ghoul Pack and was none too pleased to find that if I didn’t do anything about it the Voivodes would be looking at spending the rest of the game tied up with that large, stinky mess.  

Well I couldn’t have a Voivode/Zombie Troll engagement happen, so I used all 3 of my command actions on direct control the following turn.  The Voynik Swordsmen and Crossbowmen close to the Skeleton Trolls where both slid to the left while I slid the Voynik Swordsmen on the other side of the Crossbowmen to the right to open a central lane for the Voivodes.  I knew the Crossbowmen would get trucked, but at least I could still have the possibility of the coveted Voivode death ride.

As a garnish to this fun little situation, the Crossbowmen had yet to score a hit so far in the game.

Full Engagement

The Foot Companions behind the Skeleton Trolls where a result of a spectating Brook being goofy.  Don’t mind them.  They where not really there.

From left to right:
The Thralls got hammered by Skeleton Cavalry.  Fortunately they hold (see below).  Voynik Swordsmen get blasted by Skeleton Trolls while doing zero damage in return.  The Voynik Crossbowmen get pinched and destroyed by damage despite heavy command card play on my part.  The Crossbowmen performed their attack on the Ghoul Pack and the Ghouls succeeded their disruption check.  I was at least hoping that the Crossbowmen would stick around so that the Voivodes would get the pinch bonus on the Ghoul Pack the following turn and have a shot at blowing them up outright.  I was holding a Fatalism card for the Crossbowmen but wound up using it on the Thralls facing the Skeleton Cavalry instead.  So at least there was that.  Voynik Swordsmen did a single point of damage to a Ghoul Pack which did 3 damage in return and then ran off.  The Swordsmen only managed a single point with their free attack.  I certainly didn’t feel like I’d “won” that fight.  Chris played a red card on his Zombie Trolls against Thralls, putting them into the yellow and forcing a courage check which the Thralls failed.  The Thralls where put into the red by the free attack and failed that check too.  Voynik Swordsmen on the right flank are getting ready for a Ghoul Pack.

One of my units failed a Fear check on the charge this turn but I don’t recall which one it was.  Looking at the pictures I’m thinking it was the Voynik Swordmen that got trucked by the Skeleton Trolls.

Endgame – And Off They Ran…

The following turn

From left to right:
Thralls catch a break this turn and take no damage.  Even better, they inflict damage on the Skeleton Cavalry!  Skeleton Trolls put Voynik Swordsmen into the red and the Swordsmen fail the courage check.  Free attacks leave them still breathing but they failed the next one as well.  I’m beginning to see a theme here.  The Voivodes charge the Ghoul Pack and still do enough damage to put the Ghouls into the red when I played a Strike.  The Ghouls routed and died but did manage to inflict a point of damage on the Voivodes.  Poo.  Voynik Swordsmen flank Zombie Trolls to tie them up for a while.  I get good news on the right flank where Voynik Swordsmen take no damage from the Ghoul Pack and the Ghouls get whumped, then run off.

From left to right:
Miraculously the Thralls are still breathing, but not for long.  I had to use their Perseverance to pass a courage check.  Chris rammed Skeleton Trolls into the Voivodes, doing the 2 damage to force a check.  To their credit, the Voivodes hit the Skeleton Trolls hard.  However, they failed their courage check!  Luck was (sort of) with me when the giant beasties failed to do any damage on their free attacks.  A routing Ghoul Pack reformed and pinched the Swordsmen that where flanking the Zombie Trolls.  Miraculously, the Swordsmen fought them off in 2 turns and survived having taken a mere 2 points of damage.  I don’t remember how I pulled that one off but it was amazing none the less.  I used a command action to have the Swordsmen on the far right pursue the other Ghoul Pack though I probably should have went ahead and pinched the Zombie Trolls.

At this point I called the game.  The Voivodes would eventually get hemmed in by the Skeleton Trolls and the Skeleton Cavalry would shortly be liberated from their grind with the Thralls.  Good game Chris!

Final Thoughts

My original intent was to use one of the Thralls as Drain bait for the Voivodes, but as deployment unfolded both Thrall units found themselves on the line and I figured that I’d need their hit boxes intact.  It also leads me to believe that it’s easier to stick a Thrall unit behind the line for Drain purposes in a 2000 point game than it is in a 1500 point game.  I only used Perseverance once but boy did it come in handy when I did.  It’s a super handy faction ability.  The most versatile faction ability currently out there.  Chris made a nice move by swapping his Zombie Trolls and Ghoul Pack on his line and that forced me to burn all of my command actions to counter it.  Even then, I should have moved the Crossbowmen in such a fashion that the Skeleton Trolls and Ghoul Pack would have had to go with a twos-company instead of getting the pinch.  That was a poor oversight on my part.  The Voivode Knights are still a fearsome unit for 360 points, but their 1 glaring weakness really shone through here.  If somebody gets a lucky shot in, having your 360 point unit roll a yellow check at a 10 is no picnic.  As things turned out I probably should have swapped the Crossbowmen out for Spearmen and upgraded one of the Swordsmen to Spearmen as well.  But I really wanted to shoot stuff this game!  However, all of my shots missed.

Sadly, I only drew 1 faction specific card this game.  So I don’t have much information to offer concerning the command deck.

Heroes of the Game

Undead – The Skeleton Trolls that blew up Swordsmen as part of a pinch, then forced the Voivodes to run off.

Lords of Vlachold – Despite routing, I’d still go with the Voivodes for blowing up a Ghoul Pack from the flank and then doing an obscene amount of damage to Skeleton Trolls on the charge.  Runner up is the unit of Thralls on the left that held up Skeleton Cavalry for the duration of the game.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 03:44:53 PM by RushAss »
"No one gets to their heaven without a fight"
-Rush, Armor and Sword

Hannibal

• Administrator
Re: Lords of Vlachold vs. Undead at 1500 points
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 11:15:04 PM »
I should have moved the Crossbowmen in such a fashion that the Skeleton Trolls and Ghoul Pack would have had to go with a twos-company instead of getting the pinch.  That was a poor oversight on my part.

Yeah I was looking at that and was thinking "ya know, that looks like flank-from-front even with the 3.1 rules..."

Can you give me a rundown of what you and Chris (and Brook) thought about the units and Fatalism (the one command card you did play).  Any further thoughts about Perseverance?

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2016, 11:24:48 AM »
Fatalism kept the Thralls in the fight vs. Skeleton Cavalry.  Brook thought the card itself was too hot until I pointed out that it was really good for the run of the mill units, but only marginal for most of the good units.  Most of the time you are going to be using it on a Vampire unit rolling at a 10 so it's still a crap shoot on whether you pass or fail the second time around.

Perseverance is an ability that looks incredibly strong on paper.  It's a one time +1 courage bump, a Roll With The Blow, and Follow Through all in one.  Really strong.  But the truth of the matte is that you can only use one of those functions and then it's gone.  Like Roll With the Blow of Follow Through, it may not be usable at all depending upon the die rolls.  Same goes for the Courage function.  It's still a strong ability through sheer versatility.  But on the right side of balanced IMO.  If the ability is deemed to be too hot, I suggest making it so that you have to erase the mark before rolling a courage check.  The effect is the same, the difference is that you may or may not need the effect.  But for now I think it's fine as is.

The units I used where all OK and performed within the parameters you'd expect..  Voivodes are always scary.  They are a cheaper version of HE Knights with scary Blood Powers and Perseverance replacing Precision and Maneuver Mastery.  But that courage can bite you hard and that ads an element of swinginess to the unit.  In this particular game it swung the wrong way.  Now stop laughing at that one.  Seriously, cut it out!
"No one gets to their heaven without a fight"
-Rush, Armor and Sword

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2016, 11:59:00 AM »
Fatalism kept the Thralls in the fight vs. Skeleton Cavalry.  Brook thought the card itself was too hot until I pointed out that it was really good for the run of the mill units, but only marginal for most of the good units.  Most of the time you are going to be using it on a Vampire unit rolling at a 10 so it's still a crap shoot on whether you pass or fail the second time around.

Yeah I think it's fine when used on not-Vassal units.  Frankly it's a little weak (Regeneration gives a reroll with +1 Cge).  What I'm on the fence about is the bonus it gives Vassals.  I wonder if +3 Cge might be too much and maybe it should be +2 Cge.  Very much up in the air, so I wanted to get your opinions.  And keep tabs on the card throughout the playtesting.

Perseverance is an ability that looks incredibly strong on paper.  It's a one time +1 courage bump, a Roll With The Blow, and Follow Through all in one.  Really strong.  But the truth of the matte is that you can only use one of those functions and then it's gone.  Like Roll With the Blow of Follow Through, it may not be usable at all depending upon the die rolls.  Same goes for the Courage function.  It's still a strong ability through sheer versatility.  But on the right side of balanced IMO.  If the ability is deemed to be too hot, I suggest making it so that you have to erase the mark before rolling a courage check.  The effect is the same, the difference is that you may or may not need the effect.  But for now I think it's fine as is.

Yeah I agree it's a strong ability, but I don't think it's like Faith Armor strong.  I feel it falls right in the sweet spot of "usually you'd rather have a card, but sometimes it's better than a card."  With the added drawback of you can't really spam it because then you'll be at a CC disadvantage.

The units I used where all OK and performed within the parameters you'd expect..  Voivodes are always scary.  They are a cheaper version of HE Knights with scary Blood Powers and Perseverance replacing Precision and Maneuver Mastery.  But that courage can bite you hard and that ads an element of swinginess to the unit.  In this particular game it swung the wrong way.  Now stop laughing at that one.  Seriously, cut it out!

Well, I can't say I'd take those guys against Undead, for specifically the reason you mentioned.  After the charge turn they drop way down in damage output against T3 or T4 units, something Undead has a lot of.  That being said, it was neat to see you using the Voivode's movement exactly right:  getting the matchup they want.  I think it might have worked too if you'd not taken a pinch with those Voyniks.

You probably still should have drained those Thralls a couple of times.  With the Thralls, draining them for the Cge boost alone is usually worth it.  Especially when fighting those Zombie Trolls.  The loss of boxes is very likely okay given that they'll be hitting on 2s.