Author Topic: 14 Players, Ranked By Multi-Day-Touranment Glory Won  (Read 1804 times)

Kevin

• Playtester
14 Players, Ranked By Multi-Day-Touranment Glory Won
« on: March 24, 2016, 11:18:56 PM »
Spinning off the discussion that began here:

14 players have placed in the final 4 at the 6 Championship Tournaments.  (Placing top 4 at Dexcon also would count, but nobody did that who didn't also do so t Championship.)

I took the (arbitrary) victory points (1st = 5, 2nd = 3, 3rd = 2, 4th = 1.  At Dexcon, tie for 3rd = 1.5.) weighted them by # of named players at each one - 1 (Same as here), and used all Championship & Dexcon [1] tournaments to rank players by the amount of glory won:

Please note that this is not a rank of player skill.  Some players have been to more tournaments, and had more opportunities to win glory, than others.  Some players focus more on being experimental than winning victories.  Some have improved.  And of course there's always the luck factor.

But anyway, here's the list. 

#1  Kevin    (191)
#2  Jaime    (130)
#3  Brook   (94)
#4  Bohan   (56)
#5  Tim       (46)
#6  Dave     (45)
#7  Seth      (40)
#8  Eric       (36)
#9  Marcus  (32)
#10 Ron      (20)
#11 Niko     (16)
#12 Blakely (11)
#13 Moose (8 ) and Chad (8 )

[1] As with the other thread, I considered Dexcon 2014 a 3-way-tie for 2nd place.  if you disagree with that assessment, adjust numbers up or down as you see fit.  Also, I didn't award glory to anyone who qualified for the final rounds but then didn't show up to play.  I didn't award glory for the Sunday Swiss tournament, or the mini-tournaments we used to do at Co5N, because this list is for multi-day tournaments only and those are all one-day events.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 06:12:56 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Re: 14 Players, Ranked By Multi-Day-Touranment Glory Won
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2016, 10:00:58 AM »
Some players focus more on being experimental than winning victories.  
Yeah, I try to take a strategic theme and run with it for each tournament.  I also play factions I enjoy playing and I don't pay much attention to whether or not it's a "good" faction.
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2016, 11:30:24 AM »
Yeah, for the most part I don't pick factions because they are "strong" or "upper tier".  I just happen to like Elves and mostly play them.  However, at times  I have branched out to Dwarves, Orcs(evil elves) and Hawkshold.

Pretty much all of my armies have ranged components, but I can't recall if I've ever played stand and shoot in tournament.  My armies tend to be "themed" like Marcus has said.  All goblins......all fast moving(i.e. Ravenwood wolkin, and wolf packs), all chariots, etc.
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2016, 06:46:31 PM »
Dexcon is more my mess-around tournament, but I'll fully admit that at Championship I'm in it to win it.  The one exception being that once a faction delivers victory I move on to the next.  Oh, and I'll often avoid factions which strike me as too good to the point where I'd feel dirty.  (Frankly, had I known then what I know now about how Roman units were priced I might've avoided them--I feel a bit dirty.  Still would've played Umenzi & Lizzies, though.)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 08:08:48 AM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2016, 09:43:08 AM »
You already are dirty.  And that's the way we like you.  I only play in Dexcon as a ringer so I'm not trying my damnest there though I'm not exactly laying down either.  At Championship I do play to win, but I balance that out by also trying out different and perhaps even unexpected stuff*.  Problem is, I post reports on almost every game I play so folks reading this forum may know what kind of stuff to expect 8)

Then again, you do the same. 

*Except when I'm playing Dwarves who really can't surprise anybody with excessive trickiness.
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2016, 10:50:45 AM »
You already are dirty.  And that's the way we like you.

Aww, thanks!  :)

Problem is, I post reports on almost every game I play so folks reading this forum may know what kind of stuff to expect  8)

It cuts both ways, of course.  Rumor has it that last year Eric, who reads game reports, was assuring Tim that "Kevin almost never takes a Giant War Elephant" and then this happened.  :)
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 01:07:05 PM by Kevin »

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2016, 11:14:14 AM »
Problem is, I post reports on almost every game I play so folks reading this forum may know what kind of stuff to expect  8)

It cuts both ways, of course.  Rumor has it that last year Eric, who reads game reports, was assuring Tim that "Kevin almost never takes a Giant War Elephant" and then this happened.  :)

I maintain that I wasn't wrong:

So like I said Tim, Kevin doesn't usually take A war elephant.  I never said anything about him not taking war elephantS however.  
« Last Edit: March 29, 2016, 11:35:00 AM by NegativeZer0 »
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2017, 12:10:56 AM »
Updated the ranks (top post) to reflect Championship 2017 as well as go to a 5-3-2-1 scale for 1st-2nd-3rd-4th.

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 06:13:19 PM »
Updated to reflect Championship 2018.