Author Topic: Battleground Masters Tournament Format  (Read 2465 times)

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
Battleground Masters Tournament Format
« on: March 23, 2016, 11:31:23 AM »
Here's a suggested format for a tournament or convention event.  Let me start by saying that I totally ripped this off from a Star Fleet Battles Online tournament format and I can't believe that I (or any other SFB player) haven't thought of this before.

Format A
At the beginning of the event each player selects a faction to play.  Players play their selected faction in the first round.  In the following round players then play the faction that they played against (i.e. the faction their opponent played against them).  Repeat this for as many rounds you have.

Format B
At the beginning of the event each player selects a faction they DO NOT want to play in the opening round.  They are then randomly assigned a faction to play excluding the one they selected in the first round.  Players play their assigned faction in the first round.  In the following round players then play the faction that they played against (i.e. the faction their opponent played against them).  Repeat this for as many rounds you have.

Example:  There are 4 players in the event where 3 rounds are played.

Player 1 - Dwarves
Player 2 - Rome
Player 3 - Orcs
Player 4 - High Elves

Round 1
Player 1 (Dwarves) vs. Player 2 (Rome)
Player 3 (Orcs) vs. Player 4 (High Elves)

Round 2
Player 1 (Rome) vs. Player 3 (High Elves)
Player 2 (Dwarves) vs. Player 4 (Orcs)

Round 3
Player 1 (High Elves) vs. Player 4 (Dwarves)
Player 2 (Orcs) vs. Player 3 (Rome)

Obviously this gets far more interesting the more players you have and opponents may be determined by record if you run it that way.  Now you could have this sort of thing funnel into a finals tree where you can randomly assign factions to players again at the beginning of the finals tree or they can simply start the finals tree playing the faction that they faced in the last round.

What does everybody think of this?  I may just go with this format at Dexcon in July or Council of 5 Nations in September if it receives enough interest.
"You can never break the chain - There is never love without pain
A gentle hand, a secret touch on the heart
A healing hand, as secret touch on the heart"
-Rush, Secret Touch

Kevin

• Playtester
Re: Battleground Masters Tournament Format
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2016, 02:21:42 PM »
First of all, a sad disclaimer:  As with last year, Dexcon is overlapping with my anniversary (July 3) this year, so I can't be there.  Thus, weigh my opinion with that in mind.

I'd thought about Masters touranments once upon a time.  They'd work well when every player has at least a decent familiarity with every faction.  I'd say the exhaustive list of players in the Northeast (or who made the trip to Championship at least once) who could swing it  would be (Copying my non-new/casual player list.)

Me, Jaime, Bohan, Seth, Eric, Marcus, Brook, Tim, Dave, Niko, Moose, Blakely, Chad, Ron

Underline = not sure if they'd be up for it or not.  Strikethrough = nope.  Oh also Mike (gull2112) could swing it, though he recently announced his retirement.

Many newer players don't own the full set.  And I'd hate to be at an event where it's like...now play this faction  you've never seen before--Wuxing!  Your units break down.  On, and many are Reliable.  Then the Monks have these six upgrade marks, and...  Umenzi, Alexander, Persia would suck almost as hard, and really even the simpler factions (Dwaves!) would be really hard to build a decent army with if you'd never played it before.

IMHO this would be a fun thing to do if you were like "Weekend Gaming event at my place!" [1] and the invited players all were folks who could cut it.  But a con where you might get some new/casual players?  Even I am not that sadistic.  

[1] Hey here's an idea;  not July 4 weekend!
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 02:26:11 PM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2016, 02:49:19 PM »
While I believe I can play all the factions at least decently there are some factions I just don't like: dwarves, Hawks, Lizards.  Note this has nothing to do with good/bad/weak/strong factions.  Just some factions I plain don't like.  We don't have that many events a year where I would want to be potentially forced to play factions I don't enjoy.
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2016, 02:58:31 PM »
Yeah, if I got stuck with Wuxing, Rome, or DEs, I'd be somewhat annoyed.  What you could do is take that idea but flip it.  Each player may bring up to 3 factions.  Then before each game, players secretly record what faction they'll play that round.  This happens after matchups, so you know what three factions your opponent can potentially play.

Newbies could stick to 1-2 factions (or even 1 if they wish), but more veteran players could have all 3 at their disposal.  And if two veterans played each other, it'd be an interesting little metagame going on.

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2016, 03:35:01 PM »
You guys are a bunch of bah-humbug cronies.  I hate you all.

In all seriousness, you all bring up valid points.

What you could do is take that idea but flip it.  Each player may bring up to 3 factions.  Then before each game, players secretly record what faction they'll play that round.  This happens after matchups, so you know what three factions your opponent can potentially play.

Newbies could stick to 1-2 factions (or even 1 if they wish), but more veteran players could have all 3 at their disposal.  And if two veterans played each other, it'd be an interesting little metagame going on.

I've thought of something like this as well and it may bear looking into.

First of all, a sad disclaimer:  As with last year, Dexcon is overlapping with my anniversary (July 3) this year, so I can't be there.  Thus, weigh my opinion with that in mind.
...[1] Hey here's an idea;  not July 4 weekend!
No worries, I know that date can be tough for many of you and an anniversary only occurs once a year.  Thing is, Dexcon is the biggest convention in our neck of the woods.  By far.  4th of July weekend aside, a summer convention fits in well with the other 2 "big" Northeastern BG events (Championship, Council).  The other viable conventions local to us are in November and February.  Both of those dates crap on the BG events I just mentioned.  And they are also smaller conventions that are farther away from us.  And by this point in time we've built up a good relationship with with Double Exposure Games who puts on this convention.  And the convention being at that time has the hidden benefit of many people having a day or two off for the holiday anyways.  That being said, I'm open to other alternatives if we can find something reasonably close to us on a better date.  Suggestions are welcome.
-Rush, Secret Touch

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2016, 04:20:55 PM »
Marcus,

You're going hate me, but I actually agree with Eric(yes I said Eric) on this matter.  When I read your original post I actually thought of something similar to what Corey is talking about.  If you could pick 2 or 3 factions that you like to play and those would be available to you in the tournament that could be interesting.

How about this for a game changer.  What if you could pick 2 factions and comprise all of your armies using those units.  All faction abilities could still be used and you can take the faction specific cards plus one set of the standard cards for your command deck.  

Look at some of the combos you could make......

High Elves/Dwarves

Umenzi/Undead

Hawkshold/Ravenwood

Etc....

On a somber note,  There is a chance that I will not be able to play on Sunday this year at DexCon.  I have a wedding to go to.  God willing, I'll be at Dexcon on Friday and Saturday though.  It is a shame that we can get a bigger turnout for our tournament.  Last years showing was very weak and it seems to get weaker every year.   I wish it wasn't the case.  

« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 04:26:35 PM by gornhorror »
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

Kevin

• Playtester
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2016, 07:22:12 PM »
On a somber note,  There is a chance that I will not be able to play on Sunday this year at DexCon.  I have a wedding to go to.  God willing, I'll be at Dexcon on Friday and Saturday though.  It is a shame that we can get a bigger turnout for our tournament.  Last years showing was very weak and it seems to get weaker every year.   I wish it wasn't the case

I know we're going off-topic here, but IMNSHO having a gaming con on July 4 weekend was a dumb idea.  (And it really doesn't work for me.)  If instead of, or in addition to, Dexcon one of you guys said "Gaming weekend at my place / a nearby game store!" on a different weekend--ideally one not during the summer--maybe mid-May?--I'd totally go!
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2016, 09:14:15 PM »
Heh, I won't hate you for that because others have already raised concerns about it.  I was basing this on an online version of a tournament that takes a couple of months to complete.

I knew about Sunday, we'll just have to knock you out of the event before then  :P
-Rush, Secret Touch

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2016, 12:25:29 PM »
On a somber note,  There is a chance that I will not be able to play on Sunday this year at DexCon.  I have a wedding to go to.  God willing, I'll be at Dexcon on Friday and Saturday though.  It is a shame that we can get a bigger turnout for our tournament.  Last years showing was very weak and it seems to get weaker every year.   I wish it wasn't the case

I know we're going off-topic here, but IMNSHO having a gaming con on July 4 weekend was a dumb idea.  (And it really doesn't work for me.)  If instead of, or in addition to, Dexcon one of you guys said "Gaming weekend at my place / a nearby game store!" on a different weekend--ideally one not during the summer--maybe mid-May?--I'd totally go!

There is a gaming store near us called Time Warp Games in Cedar Grove NJ.  I'm on good terms with the owner and he told me that I could always come up on a Friday evening and run demos, play games, etc.  I'm not sure how he would be with playing a tournament on the weekends but I go there from time to time with my son.  The next time I go up I'll run some things past him.   Perhaps we could have a tournament there.  Most likely a one day affair, but maybe it could be two.
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2016, 11:00:26 PM »
I have plenty of room in my house and I know Dave has offered up his place as well but that would require you schleps coming to New York more than once a year.
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 11:31:12 AM »
In a perfect world I'd travel all over the place to play BG, but the reality is that real life prevents me from doing so.  The fact of the matter is that Dexcon is the biggest gaming convention in New Jersey and it should be our flagship convention for the folks that live here.  It averages over 1400 registered attendees a year.  If there is any convention near to us that should host a BG event of some kind, this is it.  The fact that it happens on the first weekend of July is unfortunate and I would certainly change that if I was in charge of the thing but it is what it is.  I think it's fabulous that Kevin throws his tournament every year.  It was fabulous that Niko ran his events when he did plus all the other folks that did so.  Dexcon was our attempt at saying "thanks for that, here's another one that we're willing to run for you all".  If folks can't make it, that's fine.  I totally understand that a) it's an awkward weekend and b) everybody has family + friends + responsibilities that supersede gaming.  I get that and respect it.  But if you are able to come and have a desire to do so, there will be something there for you.

Edit: Look, I'm not putting a kibosh on finding a dedicated space and time to throw a proper BG event in the future.  It can be done.  And I'm not putting a kibosh on traveling to participate in something else in addition to TotalCon (or wherever Championship is held) and Council of 5 Nations.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 11:39:30 AM by RushAss »
-Rush, Secret Touch

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 01:22:06 PM »
I have no idea, I just kinda skimmed through it.
Something about ruffled feathers and his pants being in a wad
 :'(

Other than Kevin I think most of us meant to find something in addition to Dexcon.  
I know I still plan on being at Dexcon.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:58:09 PM by NegativeZer0 »

RushAss

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 02:37:32 PM »
What the Hell are you talking about?  I don't wear pants on Wednesdays...
-Rush, Secret Touch