Author Topic: [Variant] Savage Lizardmen (PEACH)  (Read 1299 times)

Zelc

[Variant] Savage Lizardmen (PEACH)
« on: January 31, 2016, 01:31:18 AM »
PEACH = Please Examine and Critique Honestly

Army List

As with my other rework, the goal is to take a faction and make both its theme and its gameplay more interesting. This rework keeps 6 units the same, but removes both Bowmen and the Tyrant Spearmen and changes every dinosaur (even if by a bit). The goal is to give this faction a strong theme of being hard to control but bloodthirsty.

A few things to note:
  • Half of the faction is now dinosaurs. Dinosaurs don't have Fury, only have Courage 11, and have Limited Control: no Direct Controls, no Standing Order modifiers, and discard 1 to play 1.
  • Lizardmen have a new faction ability: they can Direct Control units with the "No Direct Controls" ability for only 2 CAs. Yes, that includes mercenaries, although I'm not sure why you'd take a Hydra when you can get a T-Rex.
  • All carnivores now have Blood Frenzy. It's important since so many units only have Courage 11.

Things to note if you play this faction:
  • You could just take a army of Lizardmen with 2 Ankylosaurus Herds as tanks. I think it's probably more effective to bring some other Dinosaurs along, but it could work in some cases.
  • Taking a bunch of units which get discounts for pitch-to-play is great, because you can now spend your Command Actions on stacking Fury and red cards on your Lizardmen!
  • 2 CAs is better than 3 CAs, but you still don't want to Direct Control your dinosaurs too much. Deployment is a skill to develop with so many Limited Control units and a variety of MCs.

Things to note if you're playing against this faction:
  • Like many predators, the best way to deal with Lizardmen is to show that you're a threat early. Send them into the yellow before they can trigger Blood Frenzy, and most of their units have a 50/50 chance of routing. If they draw first blood, then you're in for a long fight.
  • With so many Limited Control units, a sacrificial unit in front of your army can force your opponent to waste many Command Actions or suffer flanks.
  • Ankylosaurus Herds are really tough to kill, but are expensive to defend with Command Cards and have poor Courage. Save your Forces and Mights for them.
  • Lizardmen get lots of tough units, but they must either take a short line or field units with bad or middling defenses somewhere. If you can't go toe-to-toe with their heavies, you should punch through the weak spots on their line or get a flank.

Let me know if you have any thoughts or suggestions about this variant :).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2016, 01:33:14 AM by Zelc »

Dave-SWA

• The Schenectady Wargamers Association
Re: [Variant] Savage Lizardmen (PEACH)
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2016, 12:08:07 AM »
I love me my Lizardmen, so I'd be happy to give these variants a try.

I would like to see Swarmling Spears, especially if you're taking Tyrant Spears away. 

Ankylosaurus Herds moving only 2.5 is a big hit on a faction with so much Team Speed.

These will definitely play differently, but I'd be happy to give them a try.

Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Oct 5-7, 2018)
www.swa-gaming.org

Dave-SWA

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 08:41:57 PM »
I was percolating on these rework ideas...

I predict that having several units with Limited Control will be painful.  Especially if you are playing against top players who use direct control and exact unit position to maximum effect.

I'm still willing to give 'em a try, but I hope the crunch of fangs is good enough to offset the maneuver difficulties.

-DC
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
www.swa-gaming.org

Zelc

« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2016, 10:17:06 PM »
Hey Dave, we can play on VASSAL if you want to give this a spin :).

The large number of limited control units in this faction is intentional :). It's much like the Dwarves -- if your opponent can't exploit your limited control, you should win the fight. Note it only costs 2 CAs to direct control your dinosaurs. It's not something you want to do often, but it's not quite so bad in a pinch.

Ankylosaurus Herd being 2.5 is important because otherwise it's the best chump tank in the game!

Dave-SWA

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2016, 11:13:14 PM »
I'd be willing to give VASSAL a try, but not for a few weeks at least.  We are starting Council prep much earlier this year, as this is a training year for me to hand off most of the stuff to other folks.  So I have a bunch of things I need to do now, instead of like May/June when I am usually doing them.

I'll keep you posted,
-DC
www.swa-gaming.org