Author Topic: Routing versus Disrupted Units  (Read 512 times)

Professor X

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 7
Routing versus Disrupted Units
« on: January 28, 2016, 07:39:01 AM »
I'm new to this game and am trying to wrap my mind around something:

A "disrupted" unit is on the verge of breaking,
A "routed" unit has broken and is fleeing the battlefield.

Yet it takes 2 command actions to "reorganize" a disrupted unit, but only 1 command action to "rally" a routed unit.

It seems to me that this should be reversed.

What am I missing? Can someone explain why this approach makes sense? It's really disturbing me! Thanks.

Kevin

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5061
Re: Routing versus Disrupted Units
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 08:38:45 AM »
When a routed unit is rallied, it goes to Hold.  80% of the time you then have to spend a second Command Action to get it moving again. (The other 20% an enemy unit pounces on it before that can happen.)  If you're talking a line unit that's advancing on some archers, you'd be spending that second Command Action to put the unit to Close 100% of the time.  So it's 2 Command Actions either way.
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Professor X

  • Newbie
  • *
  • Posts: 7
Re: Routing versus Disrupted Units
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 09:57:12 AM »
Thank you. Is there a house rule to enable a player to spend only 1 command action to put a disrupted unit on "hold"?  That would seem to make sense then.
But even then, and even as the rules are written, this point remains: at best, ordering a disrupted unit seems to be just as difficult as ordering a routed unit. I continue to struggle with that conceptually.

Kevin

  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 5061
Re: Routing versus Disrupted Units
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2016, 10:12:00 AM »
Be definition, house rules are whatever you decide they are.  

"Disrupted" is a relatively new rule.  It was put in place because previously a rout was too painful when attacking a stand-and-shoot army.  One unit would run.  The next turn you'd rally it, but it couldn't move, meaning you'd have to spend two more Command Actions to hold back the units adjacent to it so that they didn't go forward and get pinched...which gives the opponent another turn to shoot at your army.  Rinse & repeat.  We've found that the Disrupted Rule balances well as written--where it costs you the same penalty in terms of Command Actions but doesn't royally screw up your position.  (A unit on Hold which routs, even if you want it to stay on Hold, usually takes 2 Command Actions:  one to rally, and one to put back in its previous position.)

But seriously, if you don't like it, use your own house rule.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2016, 10:19:50 AM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill