Author Topic: A fast reponse reserve  (Read 1124 times)

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
A fast reponse reserve
« on: January 08, 2016, 06:48:05 PM »
I see a lot of games where a unit gets sent from one flank to the other and unless it is MC 7+ it pretty much means the unit is wasted. To remedy this I propose we include a second movement phase after the post combat rout phases. This could be called the reserve movement phase and could be reasoned as the movement that occurs well clear of the fighting.

In this phase the active player's units may move as per their SO as long as they do not enter the Final Rush range of any enemy unit or have an enemy unit within their Final Rush range at any point. If they would normally enter Final Rush range they may not move at all. Note there is no DC in this phase, as it occurs after the M&C phase.

Of note, a  non-Close or routing unit has no final rush range, but the moving unit still does, so only it's Final Rush range need be calculated.

This rule would allow a unit that is not involved immediately in any combat to move whilst their kin are trysting away. I have just written this so it certainly has some clarity issues, but should be enough to start the conversation. The exact wording could be parsed out if there is any interest.
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Dave-SWA

• The Schenectady Wargamers Association
    • The Schenectady Wargamers Association
Re: A fast reponse reserve
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2016, 09:18:18 PM »
Several miniatures rules have a free "doubletime movement for reserves", so this idea is not totally crazy.

However, the idea as proposed is totally crazy.  Invoking the second move if simply out of final rush range is way too generous.

Think about how important this would make the first move if you're playing to grab terrain, like Ticking Clock, or to take a hill to get the defense bonus. 

I don't think the standard 3' x 2.5' battleground map is big enough to have any kind of rule like this.
BUT, if you twisted my arm to be really generous, I would propose something like...

A Unit gets reserve movement if-and-only-if it cannot draw line of sight to any enemy unit, and vice versa.

-DC
Schenectady Wargamers Association
An Adventure Gaming club serving the Capital District of upstate New York for over 40 years.
Council of Five Nations (Oct 5-7, 2018)
www.swa-gaming.org

NegativeZer0

• Playtester
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2016, 12:44:10 PM »
Several miniatures rules have a free "doubletime movement for reserves", so this idea is not totally crazy.

However, the idea as proposed is totally crazy.  Invoking the second move if simply out of final rush range is way too generous.

Think about how important this would make the first move if you're playing to grab terrain, like Ticking Clock, or to take a hill to get the defense bonus.  

I don't think the standard 3' x 2.5' battleground map is big enough to have any kind of rule like this.
BUT, if you twisted my arm to be really generous, I would propose something like...

A Unit gets reserve movement if-and-only-if it cannot draw line of sight to any enemy unit, and vice versa.

-DC

If we even considered a rule like this it would have to be as Dave stated at a bare minimum.  

I would even expand that to:
Only on open terrain (to stop silliness like abusing the fact woods blocks LOS)
Must begin and end without being able to draw a line of sight to any enemy unit
Unit is fatigued (-1)-1/-1 until the start of your next turn. (risk/reward for the additional movement)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2016, 12:49:20 PM by NegativeZer0 »
Quote from: Chad_YMG
Cards are definitely good to have, but I like punching my opponent in the face, too!

Hannibal

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2016, 12:49:59 PM »
A lot of historical games let you double march so long as you start outside of X distance and stay outside that distance for the entire move.  It actually makes skirmishers have a real value because they end up being march blockers for infantry-heavy armies.