Author Topic: A quicker play variant  (Read 948 times)

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
A quicker play variant
« on: January 08, 2016, 06:27:00 PM »
I was just reading some rules sets and I was noting the morale collapse concept. In BG this is generally that point when the last unit is eliminated, or in Ticking Clock, when a preset turn is reached.

The way I often see it done is where the army reaches a morale collapse when it has 1/3 of its units eliminated our routing. This is generally the arbitrary point where there is a collective realization that "We're lost!" and such sentiment becomes a self fulfilling prophecy in spite of all the hapless commanders trying to convince the troops otherwise.

So what this means in BG is that prior to start, each player determines his army morale dividing his number of units by 3. as soon as soon as that number is reached or exceeded he has lost. So a 7 unit army has a morale of 2.3, and as soon as he has a total of 3 units eliminated or routing at the end of either player's turn, he has lost.

I know many games end differently than they appear at this early stage, but that has been the commander's head-ache through history. :'(
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/

Zelc

• Playtester
Re: A quicker play variant
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 03:07:00 PM »
I agree games can drag on for too long. I'm a huge fan of the Breaking Point games. 1/3 of units lost is a huge nerf to cheap units, and 1/3 of points lost might sometimes be just 2 or 3 units and feels too short.

gull2112

• Administrator
  • From the RUSH faction
    • Meditations on Brain Injury
Re: A quicker play variant
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 04:14:29 PM »
I agree games can drag on for too long. I'm a huge fan of the Breaking Point games. 1/3 of units lost is a huge nerf to cheap units, and 1/3 of points lost might sometimes be just 2 or 3 units and feels too short.

Point taken. Perhaps we could count units <150 points as half units when lost.

What makes a game tense and interesting throughout is the "one more turn" sudden death where you feel like the issue will be decided in the next turn. When this feeling is maintained through several turns you have a really exciting edge of your seat game. Ares games "Battle of Five Armies" is like this.

Most Battleground games, win or lose, find me endeavoring to keep interested beyond the half way point. I find it gripping for the first few turns, but this feeling dissipates beyond the opening turns. Especially once the lines lock horns and it becomes a contest of keeping focused while endless modifiers are applied ad nausea. But hey, this could just be me.  :-\
"Rules are only as good as the book they're bound in."
http://gullsbattleground.blogspot.com/