Author Topic: Championship 2016 at Totalcon (Feb 20-21) (New Thread)  (Read 4900 times)

Kevin

• Administrator
Re: Championship 2016 at Totalcon (Feb 20-21) (New Thread)
« Reply #30 on: February 13, 2016, 10:49:55 PM »
Same horrible as last year.  :)
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2016, 04:45:07 PM »
OK guys, here are the packages!

Note:  Special Packages are bid on after terrain is selected.  

Special Package 1  (Saturday, Game #4.)  You get both of the following:

a)  Mulligans: You get 2 re-roll tokens.  Spend a token to re-roll, or make your opponent re-roll, a to-hit or to-damage roll.  These tokens do not count as playing command cards, but otherwise they function like "re-roll" cards (e.g. "Fortunes of War"), including being prohibited if "the dice can not be re-rolled."  You may use both tokens on the same roll if you wish.

b) Stealing Each Side's Best Idea: You start the game with two command cards of your choice in your hand.  (You may buy additional ones for the standard 25 points for a random card, of course.)  One card comes from your own deck; the other card comes from the opponent's deck.  Command Cards tied to faction abilities work with your own faction's abilities.  For example, let's say you're playing Orcs, and you take a Roman "Troop Rotation" card.  Normally that card gives 2 Command Actions which must be used (that turn) on Reinforcement or Replacement.  In this case, you would get two Command Actions which must be used (that turn) to Lash units.   Note:  when the card from the opponent's deck is played it goes into the opponent's discard pile.  

--------------------------

Special Package #2.  (Sunday Semifinals.  Note that only the top 4 players will have to deal with this.)  You get both of the following:

a)   Guest Units:  Choose one other fantasy faction if you're playing a fantasy faction; or a historical faction if you're playing a historical faction.  This choice must be announced before army build.  You may put up to 666 points ( = 1/3 your total army cost) of guest units in your own army, though no one guest unit may cost over 333 points.  Some special rules:  
- These units are treated as your own units, not mercenaries.  So you may play your faction Command Cards on them as if they were your own units.  (Obviously if a unit is pitch-to-play then it's still pitch-to-play.)  Also, Core guest units count toward your meeting Core.
- The guest units use their own faction ability/abilities, not your own.  For example, if you're playing Orcs and you take Umenzi Warriors as a guest unit, then spending a Command Action on them gives them Faith Armor still, and your Umenzi Warriors can not be Lashed.  
- Army-Wide abilities that come with your guest units can not be used.  For example, taking Carthaginian Guest units does not let you take Foresight, and Persian Guest units does not let you take Satrap Armies  (Though in those cases you can do Determination and Kings Favor respectively.) Pre-bought faction abilities (e.g. Dark Elf Premeditation) normally used on specific units may be used on the guest units.
- The units do not treat your "home army" units as their own type.  So for example Umenzi High Priests could throw Hexes and Death Curses at the opponents, but Blesses and Healing will not work on your other units, except of course on your other Umenzi guest units.  Triarii will still back up multiple units, but don't give non-Roman units the extra attack die.

b)  War Plans:  Before the game, pull up to 10 command cards out of your deck and set them aside.  These cards go unused for the duration of the game.  (Rule 1.3.2.3, that you must discard (or play) down to no more than 1/2 your command card deck before drawing new cards, still applies.)
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 09:43:58 AM by Kevin »
However beautiful the strategy, you should occasionally look at the results. - Winston Churchill

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #32 on: February 15, 2016, 02:28:19 PM »
Same horrible as last year.  :)
Yeah, I remember this was in effect last year but it never manifested in any of my games.  The only opportunity I had to shoot at anything big was Tim's Jade Dragon and that's not very productive in the first place.  My thinking on the matter was that the spirit of the shooting at big guys rule was to prevent you from stacking command cards on top of the +1 offensive skill.  It didn't occur to me that it would also effect command cards on the back end.  So the decision is easy for the most part.  If you are targeting a big guy, you need to choose to play a card and then play the card up front.  Making it easier for the large unit to be defended.  I'm not objecting at this point, just thinking out loud for the benefit of other participants so they don't miss this in the heat of the moment.

Nice, clean package selection this year BTW.  Easily understandable and neither over the top.
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #33 on: February 17, 2016, 12:04:21 PM »
Yeah, it hurts a bit, but don't forget that it's paired with "no extreme range penalty" (anything over 7" = long).  Put it this way, if you're shooting at a Large target at Extreme range, you can choose to play cards and it's exactly the same as the current rules--or you can take the +1 to hit if you so choose.  You're also unambiguously better when shooting at non-Large targets.

Glad you like the packages this year!  Hopefully you'll get to experience them both.  ;)

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2016, 12:49:43 AM »
Under 36 hours to the tournament!  Blakely and I played a game.  Her High Elves beat my Orcs solidly.  Of course, I spotted her 100 points, which is not going to happen at the tournament!

gornhorror

• Playtester
  • Goony goo-goo!
« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2016, 12:54:52 AM »
Under 36 hours to the tournament!  Blakely and I played a game.  Her High Elves beat my Orcs solidly.  Of course, I spotted her 100 points, which is not going to happen at the tournament!

"Where there's a whip, there's a way!!!!!!!!"
Where's this shade, that you got it made?

BubblePig

• Shoeless God of War
  • Playtester
  • Y'all are just hating on my steez.
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2016, 06:25:13 PM »
Well then.  I just called and discovered that all the rooms are taken at the Holiday Inn at Mansfield.  Dammit.  How did everybody else fair?

I called the Holiday Inn to confirm my reservation. They lost it.  My roommate and I will have to book somewhere else and commute.  I am not happy about this.  >:(

For any of you booked at the Holiday Inn, I suggest you confirm now, to ensure you don't have an unpleasant surprise waiting for you at check-in.

See youse guys in one week!

-DC

I left booking my hotel until the last minute and have been dithering about where to stay. Probably go Red Roof this year, but I am having a hard time understanding why so many people book at Holiday Inn when Residence Inn is just down the street. It seems really nice and you can book a suite that has a kitchen and sleeps 5 comfortably for $180 which is only $36/person/night. And it is literally 3 or 4 intersections away from the con. And it has a kitchen. And I think it has free breakfast. You know what, screw Red Roof. OK, OK, I am staying at Red Roof. But next year different story.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2016, 07:06:17 PM by BubblePig »

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2016, 05:37:57 PM »
I'll post photos sometime soon, but here are the results:

8 of us were there.  it turned out to be an all-fantasy main tournament, with Persia making a cameo in the Sunday Swiss.

We ended Saturday night with myself (Lizardmen), Blakely (High Elves), and Eric (Dark Elves) all at 3-1.  Brook (Orcs Goblins), Marcus (Ravenwood) and Dave (Umenzi) were at 2-2.  Ron (Monsters & Mercs) at 1-3 and Carl (High Elves) at 0-4.  Blakely got the #1 slot because she'd won her game vs. Eric.  Brook got the "wild card" slot in the final 4 because his opponents had the highest collective win-loss record.

Semifinals:
My Lizardmen Velociraptors elicited a white flag from Eric's Dark Elves.
Brook's Orcs (This time with real Orcs!) elicited a white flag from Blakely's High Elves.

Finals:
My Lizardmen elicited a white flag from Brook's Orcs Goblins in a lightning-fast game.

Playoff for 3rd place:
Eric's Dark Elves avenged themselves vs. Blakely's High Elves.

One-game Sunday Swiss.
Jaime showed up and his Wuxing Army won vs. Marcus (Ravenwood) & Ron (Persia)'s team army.

------------------------

Thanks everyone for playing, and to Marcus for kicking my ass!  :)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 07:08:52 PM by Kevin »

Lance OCasey

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2016, 08:15:31 AM »
I'd like to point out that my 0-4 record Saturday fails to encompass the breadth of my achievement this weekend.... I also went 0-3 Friday night!  :P

Seriously though, I had not had a chance to play a real game of this since last year's con, when I played it for the first time. So I had no illusions about winning any of them, but I was astonished to notice how dramatically my thinking and assessment of each situation changed by the last game Saturday night. I really learned a LOT this weekend and continued to develop an appreciation for this game.

But I'm still intent on blaming at least two of my losses on the dice!

Thanks to everybody I played for their post-game coaching.

« Last Edit: February 22, 2016, 08:41:49 PM by Lance OCasey »

RushAss

• Administrator
  • Eat your beets - Recycle!
    • My Facebook.  Where you can see my, uh... face.
« Reply #39 on: February 22, 2016, 10:00:04 PM »
Great event as always and it's always awesome to throw down with good friends!  Kevin claims I "kicked his ass" but that's really not the case.  It would have been a very competitive game had his dice not failed him.  We both failed courage checks like crazy, but he had to roll more of them and when you fail all of those, things won't go your way.

Carl, you where quite the trooper but you didn't exactly play like crap.  The competition was pretty stiff this year!  But our stealth beer drinking skills remain strong as ever...
"Art as expression, not as market campaigns
Will still capture our imaginations"
-Rush, Natural Science

Kevin

• Administrator
« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2016, 04:52:23 PM »
Photos of games are going up in the Session Reports thread.  Marcus typically does his own reports, so I'm sending him the photos and you'll see those when he's ready.  All non-Marcus games from rounds 1 & 2 are up at the moment.